Laundromat Noise

Seafan22

Would it be a mistake to have a room near one of the Laundromats on a long cruise (31 days)?  Do the machines make a lot of noise and would there be a lot of traffic in and out of that room? 

I know the cabin room doors are well insulated, but should this be a concern?

Thanks

I would avoid being adjacent to, across the corridor, or underneath a laundromat.  Ever hear an unattended and unbalanced washer?

That being said, I like to book a cabin a few doors away so that it's easy to pop in and see if the equipment is in use before I drag my laundry bag along.

We were across from the laundromat on one of our Alaska cruises.  Never again.

People would congregate while waiting for machines and talk loudly with the door open.  Also the door was constantly slamming.  They are supposed to be closed overnight but ours was never locked. I got up one night to go to the bathroom and looked out the peephole. Someone was just going into the laundromat. 

I do think the laundromats are probably used more on the Alaska cruises especially southbound ones since a certain percentage are coming off land tours. 

8 minutes ago, memoak said:

I have never heard a peep even when standing outside the door

Me neither.  Likely because of the vestibule and the two doors.  I've never stayed adjacent to the laundry either, but have heard from people who did and it was more noisy than a passenger cabin  from the machines and people talking over the machine noise.

Why risk it?

29 minutes ago, Alaska05 said:

People would congregate while waiting for machines and talk loudly with the door open.  Also the door was constantly slamming.  

Depending on your neighbors, that could happen anywhere on the ship.

But I don’t suppose it’s a risk I would take either.

• Like 1

We were directly across from the laundry on our 29 day trans Pacific cruise in April, and we didn't have any issues with noise.  Yes, we could hear the door close occasionally, but it wasn't an issue at night.  Also, it was very convenient to have the laundry so close.

I was in M621 on the Sky Princess last month, right across from the entrance to the laundry room. All I ever noticed was an occasional soft click sound of the laundry room door closing. I only noticed it when I was awake.

Edited by cavecreekguy
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Alaska05 said:

People would congregate while waiting for machines and talk loudly with the door open.  Also the door was constantly slamming.  They are supposed to be closed overnight but ours was never locked. I got up one night to go to the bathroom and looked out the peephole. Someone was just going into the laundromat. 

I do think the laundromats are probably used more on the Alaska cruises especially southbound ones since a certain percentage are coming off land tours. 

Back in the day before they started locking them up it was a perfect place for a little late night fun times when your cabin mate was busy in the cabin

• Haha 2

Honestly, I've had it go both ways when we have had a cabin directly across from or within two or three doors of the laundromat.  Sometimes we've heard absolutely nothing and other times it has been passengers talking or arguing loudly or the doors slamming, if we hear anything at all, and that has always been in the morning.  I will say that the one thing we have never heard though are the machines oddly enough.  Never have had a cabin directly underneath and I don't think there are too many of them as they seem to stack the laundromats on top of each other by deck - probably for the drainage and plumbing runs or something.