Precriptions How to get them on long cruise?

pjs9876

2 hours ago, pjs9876 said:

I have read the Florida law and know 30 days is the limit  

Like I said, my sleep med is a controlled substance and I have no problem getting 90 days thru a major pharmacy and i live in FL. I guess YMMV.

4 hours ago, Ashland said:

No, he knows this has and will continue to be a long term situation. Said it's DEA policy. Several years ago the prescription could be refilled for a year...now it's every 3 months with a new prescription number.

I've been at that stage of life a long time but with the "extended release" I can get a good 8 hours not so with the other version.

I’m envious you (and most everyone else) can sleep 8 hours in one night👍😁

Yes, I have to get a new script every 90 days also. I think the OP was saying the max their doctor will give is 30 days.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, pjs9876 said:

My doctor said absolutely no. Not even just the extra 10 that I need for my cruise on Aug 21. I talked with CVS and have a shot at filling an old script on the 16th for a lower dosage. I'll pay cash if in fact I can get it. This means all trips over 2 weeks are off the table for me. Of course, it also means I will try a new sleep doctor too. I have read the Florida law and know 30 days is the limit but it seems like a little wiggle within a year would not be too much to ask.

Have you researched state and federal law on this script? Or could it just be this physician's rule.

20 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

My suggestion of a Mexican pharmacy was not price based. It was availability based, Mexican ports do have a reputation similar to the former Brock dining establishment in Stockbridge. 😉😎

I was going to make that point, but you did it first.  I once got 100 pills of a controlled substance in Mexico (for which I had a prescription and a legitimate need) when I could only get ten at a time in the U.S.!

The thread is somewhat cryptic.  When we talk about “controlled drugs” they can be Schedule 2, 3 or 4….each with their own set of Federal and State rules and various rules in other countries.  Ambien is a schedule 4 drug while other sleep meds can be schedule 2.  While one might be able to get a 90 day supply of schedule 4, they will likely be restricted to a 30 day supply of schedule 2.  And some countries, such as Japan, have very tough restrictions on many drugs.  

Hank

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

The thread is somewhat cryptic.  When we talk about “controlled drugs” they can be Schedule 2, 3 or 4….each with their own set of Federal and State rules and various rules in other countries.  Ambien is a schedule 4 drug while other sleep meds can be schedule 2.  While one might be able to get a 90 day supply of schedule 4, they will likely be restricted to a 30 day supply of schedule 2.  And some countries, such as Japan, have very tough restrictions on many drugs.  

Hank

Yes...agree my Ambien CR is a schedule 4 and I get 30 at a time with 3 refills. My primary care physician notifies Costco pharmacy to fill it early when I travel.

Thanks for your input.

1 hour ago, AZjohn said:

I’m envious you (and most everyone else) can sleep 8 hours in one night👍😁

Yes, I have to get a new script every 90 days also. I think the OP was saying the max their doctor will give is 30 days.

Cheers

There are some controlled substances where the limit IS "30 days" per refill and not, for example, 90...

... under normal circumstances.

There are also rules (state, DEA, etc.) that require that any "first" controlled substance Rx be restricted in amount (such as only 7 days) or *must* be with a written script, meaning "not by phone call".

To the best of our understanding, all - or almost all? - of these restrictions can be overridden in urgent situations.  That would require that the prescriber and the pharmacy agree to the need, etc.  But there is almost always a way to arrange for an exception.  (I'm sure there are some meds where this is not possible, but most of those meds probably aren't usually written for people who are likely to be traveling.)

We've had to deal with this, and I guess we are fortunate to have long term physicians, medical records in the same system for decades (that is, we are "known" as are the underlying medical and Rx needs).

A few of the ways we've had this handled, although not yet for very long trips, include to get a "vacation override" from the insurance/etc., to have an Rx written at a higher daily dose so it will last longer when taken at the regular dosage or to so this for a few months planning ahead, and keeping the extras for the trip.  Other ways are to get insurance approval for more days' supply, often simply for "longer vacations", which is the actual need.

Also, about a year or two ago, the regulations about controlled substance was somehow changed (or treatment of them changed?) such that there was more recognition of individual needs.  Our teaching hospital is still trying to get the word out with more re-training about this. But even then, it doesn't mean the providers will "do anything except what they have always done..." 😠

In general, it can be difficult to determine exactly where the actual "restriction" is.  A physician could claim it's the pharmacy or the insurance; one of those could point to the physician; and all of those could point to "drug laws" whether they exist or are accurately understood or not.

GC

• Like 1

I've had the same experience as the OP. Strictly limited to 30 days. Even if the doctor is willing to write more and if you are willing to pay cash. Now, my DH did convince his doctor to write his script for 1.5 pills per day. That isn't a recommended amount per the FDA so insurance won't pay for it - but the pharmacy fills it. Think it's like $25 out of pocket.