Precriptions How to get them on long cruise?

pjs9876

A sleep medicine I take is listed as a controlled substance. I can only get a 30 day supply. I will be on a Panama Canwl cruise when I need a refill. I have talked to both my doctor and CVS. This time I think I can cover it, but how does everyone else deal with this problem on long trips pverseas?

1 minute ago, pjs9876 said:

A sleep medicine I take is listed as a controlled substance. I can only get a 30 day supply. I will be on a Panama Canwl cruise when I need a refill. I have talked to both my doctor and CVS. This time I think I can cover it, but how does everyone else deal with this problem on long trips pverseas?

Prescriptions like Ambien for instance, can be written for a 90 day supply by your doctor.  Some insurances may only cover a 30 day supply but you can pay out of pocket for the 90 days if this is the case.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pjs9876 said:

If you have any stop in the US on your journey, you could have the RX transferred to a pharmacy there and pick it up there.

Or

Ask your Dr if it’s possible to write extra to cover the trip, but may not be possible with your insurance or the controlled drug?

Or

Ask your pharmacist: If your insurance covers only 30 day supply at a time, the pharmacist may be able to a vacation extension for another 15-30 if you pay out of pocket or use Good RX.  Our pharmacist suggested this and it was inexpensive.  So just a thought.

Newer laws are in effect. Both doctor and pharmacy said hey could not do any extra pills (only needed 10) or give it early. I live in Florida and laws are nutty down here but there is part that is Federal too. Thanks for replying. I sail from CA and return to NY. 

Don't always assume Mexico is cheaper. I priced out my sleep aid early this year just for the heck of it. Costco pharmacy $16.00 for a 30 day supply and at a pharmacy in Cabo they wanted $130.00. 

When I travel my Dr. asks Costco to fill it sooner than 30 days...this has always worked easily for me.

10 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Don't always assume Mexico is cheaper. I priced out my sleep aid early this year just for the heck of it. Costco pharmacy $16.00 for a 30 day supply and at a pharmacy in Cabo they wanted $130.00. 

When I travel my Dr. asks Costco to fill it sooner than 30 days...this has always worked easily for me.

Is insurance coming into play when you go to Costco? That would sort of make sense.

In Cabo - they don't take your insurance so you are paying out the entire amount.

Most of my friends who think prescriptions in the US are cheaper are pricing it with insurance covering most of the cost.

Edited by Coral

1 hour ago, pjs9876 said:

My physician goes through the government loops, then  speaks with the pharmacist at Costco and does a vacation override. My pharmacy used to be CVS and that is the way they handled it also. We have regularly done three month trips and this has always been the process.

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

Did you check if that was $130 USD or $130 MXN?  If it's pesos (which also use the $ sign) then $130 is only $7.76 at the current exchange rate.

2 hours ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

Prescriptions like Ambien for instance, can be written for a 90 day supply by your doctor.  Some insurances may only cover a 30 day supply but you can pay out of pocket for the 90 days if this is the case.  

Yes, I have had zero problems getting 90 day prescription for Zolpidem (Ambien). My brain sadly never can turn off so found this is the only way I can go to sleep. My doctor just takes care of this with all my other 90 day prescriptions.

3 hours ago, pjs9876 said:

Newer laws are in effect. Both doctor and pharmacy said hey could not do any extra pills (only needed 10) or give it early. I live in Florida and laws are nutty down here but there is part that is Federal too. Thanks for replying. I sail from CA and return to NY. 

I also live in Florida can pick up 90 supplies without issue when my doctor as written them to be a 90 day supply. Florida Blue also pays for them.  

3 hours ago, Coral said:

Is insurance coming into play when you go to Costco? That would sort of make sense.

In Cabo - they don't take your insurance so you are paying out the entire amount.

Most of my friends who think prescriptions in the US are cheaper are pricing it with insurance covering most of the cost.

No, not for this particular medication. My insurance only gives 12 tabs per month so I opt to not use my ins. for this and pay out of pocket for 30 tabs per month.

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

Did you check if that was $130 USD or $130 MXN?  If it's pesos (which also use the $ sign) then $130 is only $7.76 at the current exchange rate.

Yes...of course it was USD $. I know the difference as we go to these ports often.

Another customer in front of me was pricing out something very similar and he was surprised also at the price quoted.

2 hours ago, AZjohn said:

Yes, I have had zero problems getting 90 day prescription for Zolpidem (Ambien). My brain sadly never can turn off so found this is the only way I can go to sleep. My doctor just takes care of this with all my other 90 day prescriptions.

Interesting...my Dr. said it can only be 30 days prescription. Costco pharmacy said the same.

8 hours ago, pjs9876 said:

CVS is the one who we use and they, like I mentioned, have a workaround.

But, State regulations may play a big part.

Next time, ask them about an advance

of 2 weeks or 30 days etc using insurance and out of pocket.  Unless, it’s way too expensive.

5 hours ago, Ashland said:

Interesting...my Dr. said it can only be 30 days prescription. Costco pharmacy said the same.

Maybe he said this hoping this wouldn't be a long-term solution to your sleeping issue (which I could understand)?

Had my doctor for 11 years and he knows my insomnia is permanent (as well as all my other physical issues at this stage of life). Got 4 hours of sleep last night which I am happy for 🙂

Cheers

My doctor said absolutely no. Not even just the extra 10 that I need for my cruise on Aug 21. I talked with CVS and have a shot at filling an old script on the 16th for a lower dosage. I'll pay cash if in fact I can get it. This means all trips over 2 weeks are off the table for me. Of course, it also means I will try a new sleep doctor too. I have read the Florida law and know 30 days is the limit but it seems like a little wiggle within a year would not be too much to ask.

29 minutes ago, pjs9876 said:

My doctor said absolutely no. Not even just the extra 10 that I need for my cruise on Aug 21. I talked with CVS and have a shot at filling an old script on the 16th for a lower dosage. I'll pay cash if in fact I can get it. This means all trips over 2 weeks are off the table for me. Of course, it also means I will try a new sleep doctor too. I have read the Florida law and know 30 days is the limit but it seems like a little wiggle within a year would not be too much to ask.

I've struggled with insomnia for years, so I get your frustration. For many years, I was prescribed ativan, which is a controlled substance, I used for sleep, even though, technically, it was a med for anixiety. (Same family as meds like xanax). Often a primary care physician, will not/can not  prescribe these, but a psychiatrist can. Maybe something to look into? Or, could your doctor write you an rx for a higher dose of your sleep med, then you could cut the tablets in half? Then you would have 60 doses and not just 30. Hope it all works out for you, so you can go on your cruise.

6 hours ago, AZjohn said:

Maybe he said this hoping this wouldn't be a long-term solution to your sleeping issue (which I could understand)?

Had my doctor for 11 years and he knows my insomnia is permanent (as well as all my other physical issues at this stage of life). Got 4 hours of sleep last night which I am happy for 🙂

Cheers

No, he knows this has and will continue to be a long term situation. Said it's DEA policy. Several years ago the prescription could be refilled for a year...now it's every 3 months with a new prescription number.

I've been at that stage of life a long time but with the "extended release" I can get a good 8 hours not so with the other version.

• Like 1