Cruise Parking - Iona

Selbourne

Some of the comments on here are so depressing: we get these to our face of course, but it saddens me that some people are so quick to assume people abuse the system for the “benefit” of assistance.

Lots of conditions are variable, complex, and may require different adjustments at different times. It’s disappointing to think that people “see” this and assume with such certainty that people are abusing the system. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2023 at 10:17 PM, 9265359 said:

Sorry but not the faintest idea.

But what I can tell you is that on each of the occasions I have used CPS the car has moved a few hundred yards and there it has remained for the fortnight until I returned.

Late reply, but yes. Ive got a tracker in my car and every time the car is moved a few hundred yards to the left of the car park where you pick it up on return. CPS sometimes move it to the car park where you pick it up from soon after handing over to them, then they move it later to the other car park 200 metres to its left. It moves back to that car park opposite the ship right before we disembark.Every time ive tracked it thats what happened.

• Like 1

Still arguing about where your car is parked with CPS it is common sense that your car is not parked at the car park where you pick it up for the duration of your cruise. If on handing over your car to CPS on a 7 or 14 nt cruise they parked it in car park waiting for you to return where are all the cars going to be parked after you have left Southampton. In between you leaving there might be other ships belonging to P&O or Cunard either leaving there cars or picking them up on completion of cruise. All cars are parked on that car park ready for disembarkation and the car park has not got the capacity to hold every car for al the cruises in that car park because it isn't big enough. They are parked away in a secure compound and then returned to that car park for every cruise return.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mad4WDW said:

Late reply, but yes. Ive got a tracker in my car and every time the car is moved a few hundred yards to the left of the car park where you pick it up on return. CPS sometimes move it to the car park where you pick it up from soon after handing over to them, then they move it later to the other car park 200 metres to its left. It moves back to that car park opposite the ship right before we disembark.Every time ive tracked it thats what happened.

I think this shows what happens to your car. 

Where cars are stored may vary by cruise terminal taking into account where the ship is expected to return to.

I know for a fact that CPS move the cars out of the port area when using Ocean Terminal - I have watched them doing it.

4 hours ago, david63 said:

Where cars are stored may vary by cruise terminal taking into account where the ship is expected to return to.

I know for a fact that CPS move the cars out of the port area when using Ocean Terminal - I have watched them doing it.

So you saw cruisers get out of their cars and then the CPS people drive that car immediately out of the Ocean Terminal lane and drive off into the distance?  

27 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

So you saw cruisers get out of their cars and then the CPS people drive that car immediately out of the Ocean Terminal lane and drive off into the distance?  

That is not what I said. I said that I have seen CPS move cars out of the terminal.

1 minute ago, Gettingwarmer said:

So they are moving the cars because the ship is returning to a different terminal. 

In this particular case - no, the ship was returning to the same terminal 14 days later.

I was doing a b2b and on changeover day I was sat on the balcony where I had a perfect view of what was happening

5 minutes ago, david63 said:

In this particular case - no, the ship was returning to the same terminal 14 days later.

I was doing a b2b and on changeover day I was sat on the balcony where I had a perfect view of what was happening

If you didn’t see the cars from the lane go into the car park you have no idea about the cars that were situated there. 

18 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

If you didn’t see the cars from the lane go into the car park you have no idea about the cars that were situated there. 

I saw the cars arrive into the CPS lane from which they were moved to the holding area. I saw a van load of CPS drivers come back from moving other cars and then move the cars from the holding area. And yes there were some very distinctive vehicles so I could tell that they were the same ones and I also had the benefit of binoculars.

16 minutes ago, david63 said:

I saw the cars arrive into the CPS lane from which they were moved to the holding area. I saw a van load of CPS drivers come back from moving other cars and then move the cars from the holding area. And yes there were some very distinctive vehicles so I could tell that they were the same ones and I also had the benefit of binoculars.

There's none so blind as those who will not see, David.

I imagine one of the places they use as a long term parking area is near Mayflower, there is a massive parking area adjacent to where the CPS pick up point for Mayflower is located.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, david63 said:

36 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

There's none so blind as those who will not see, David.

I imagine one of the places they use as a long term parking area is near Mayflower, there is a massive parking area adjacent to where the CPS pick up point for Mayflower is located.

“Out of the port area” 

Maybe out of one port area to another whilst being moved but not out of the port area for for storage

9 hours ago, david63 said:

I saw a van load of CPS drivers come back from moving other cars and then move the cars from the holding area. And yes there were some very distinctive vehicles so I could tell that they were the same ones and I also had the benefit of binoculars.

Yes I think I watched that too.  Loads of cars moving and also loads of mini buses returning a while later, and about half a dozen or more blokes getting out.    All happening in  CPS car park

On 8/16/2023 at 8:07 PM, majortom10 said:

Still arguing about where your car is parked with CPS it is common sense that your car is not parked at the car park where you pick it up for the duration of your cruise.

You are applying 'common sense' and I am reporting what I have seen from the tracker in my car - the tracker that will show to within a couple yards where my car is at any time.

And if the tracker itself isn't sufficient evidence, the car also records whenever it is driven (the time of movement, distance driven, maximum speed, energy consumed), which accords with the tracker that the car moved on embarkation day a short distance to the pickup car park - and then that was it until I collected it.

Now you may be right that sometimes CPS moves the cars but always - nope.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

You are applying 'common sense' and I am reporting what I have seen from the tracker in my car - the tracker that will show to within a couple yards where my car is at any time.

And if the tracker itself isn't sufficient evidence, the car also records whenever it is driven (the time of movement, distance driven, maximum speed, energy consumed), which accords with the tracker that the car moved on embarkation day a short distance to the pickup car park - and then that was it until I collected it.

Use common sense if your car was moved from CPS drop off lane at Ocean Terminal and then they took it to that car park ready for your disembarkation then where do they take all the cars for cruises departing Ocean Terminal. Cunard and P&O use CPS and that car park is not big enough to store all cruises from drop off to disembarking for all cruise ships. Arvia and Iona plus QM2 and Queen Victoria could be using Ocean Terminal and the car park isnt big enough to store all cars. They are stored away from Terminals within port area and then returned to disembarking car park day before your return. If you still think your car is parked there for duration just look at size of car park it is physically impossible to park a number of ships vehicles at same time.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

Mostly CPS do move the cars, but still store them within the port confines. However I guess that in the winter season when there are fewer ships using Southampton, it is likely that they can manage with just the terminal car parks, especially if it's only a 7 day or less cruise.

57 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Use common sense if your car was moved from CPS drop off lane at Ocean Terminal and then they took it to that car park ready for your disembarkation then where do they take all the cars for cruises departing Ocean Terminal. Cunard and P&O use CPS and that car park is not big enough to store all cruises from drop off to disembarking for all cruise ships. Arvia and Iona plus QM2 and Queen Victoria could be using Ocean Terminal and the car park isnt big enough to store all cars. They are stored away from Terminals within port area and then returned to disembarking car park day before your return. If you still think your car is parked there for duration just look at size of car park it is physically impossible to park a number of ships vehicles at same time.

Are you suggesting that CPS have developed the technology skills to be able to hack the GPS receiver and tracking software built into my car by the manufacturer? If so then perhaps the staff should be getting a job with MI6 rather than parking cars.

9 hours ago, 9265359 said:

Are you suggesting that CPS have developed the technology skills to be able to hack the GPS receiver and tracking software built into my car by the manufacturer? If so then perhaps the staff should be getting a job with MI6 rather than parking cars.

You carry on with what you want to believe but I can assure you that your car is not left at that car park opp Ocean Terminal. This weekend both Arvia and Iona are due in Southampton and all those that are leaving their cars with CPS it is not physically possible to park that many cars in that car park. With reference to your GPS my car has a tracker fitted with a phone app which tells me where my car is parked. It can be parked in our drive and be correct or in street opposite and cul-de-sac next street along. They are not always that accurate or reliable, I have also had phone calls from tracker company saying they think my car has been stolen when I am looking at it in my drive.

Edited by majortom10

5 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

With reference to your GPS my car has a tracker fitted with a phone app which tells me where my car is parked. It can be parked in our drive and be correct or in street opposite and cul-de-sac next street along. They are not always that accurate or reliable, I have also had phone calls from tracker company saying they think my car has been stolen when I am looking at it in my drive.

I suggest you buy a better tracker or a better car! Mine is perfectly accurate.

And you have also overlooked the point I made that it also records the distance travelled hour by hour, the speed driven, etc. so even if the tracker was inaccurate (it isn't) it would still show that the car had been driven more than a few hundred yards.

Edited by 9265359

Think a brand new Range Rover is perfectly acceptable. You are never going to believe anyone telling you that your car is not parked in the car park that you pick it up when you disembark. But anyone knows that with common sense that the car park is not big enough to park cars from both Iona and Arvia when people leave their cars with CPS this weekend for the duration of both cruises. It is ABP port authority rules that they are parked elsewhere and returned to that car park day before end of your cruise for when you disembark. I suggest next time you go ask them where they park your car and are they returned to the car park ready for your disembarkation. Perhaps then you will realise that they don't drive your car from lane to that car park. If they did the drivers would return by foot as only a short walk but after parking cars they are bought back to Ocean in a mini bus ready to take next lot of cars.

On 8/18/2023 at 9:12 AM, majortom10 said:

Why don't you just contact CPS and ask them  what they do that way you will have the definitive answer

25 minutes ago, Scots Couple said:

Why don't you just contact CPS and ask them  what they do that way you will have the definitive answer

I know what they do it is others who think that their cars when they drop off their cars at start of cruise they are then taken to car park where they pick up car after the cruise. The car park isn't big enough to store all cars they are taken away stored in a secure compound and then returned to that car park ready for when you disembark. I have been cruising with P&O for 23 yrs and used CPS many many times and know how they operate unfortunately others don't.

Edited by majortom10

8 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

it is others who think that their cars when they drop off their cars at start of cruise they are then taken to car park where they pick up car after the cruise.

In fairness that may happen on occasions when the ship is returning to the same terminal and there are no other ships in or out of that terminal in the intervening period - but that will be the exception and certainly, in my experience, is not the general procedure.