X Changes and how they impact the non suite guest - Is it really a big deal

cgolf1

3 hours ago, cgolf1 said:

Well glad you are happy with those, there are some nights, especially as gluten free that I felt I was missing something. Unfortunately I can't find my original edge review, but I feel the menu was definitely shortened from before. The protein choices are where I noticed it the most. I don't cruise for the the Celebrity signatures, I cruise to get a variety of different foods. We don't eat out much and my wife is not an adventurous eater at all, so this is usually my one chance to branch out.

I am still putting Celebrity at my #1 choice, but it isn't as big a lead as in the past.

@cgolf1, I hear you on the food restriction challenges. I also appreciated the symbols on the food labels in the Oceanview Café. Our daughter is now dairy intolerant but not a vegan so I was also scouting the Apex for her. While there was attention to detail was evident in informing guests via the labels or the wait staff at the MDRs, some of the execution was still amiss. E.g. on the night we were offered a celebratory treat for our anniversary, the cake delivered to the table at dessert time, albeit lovely, contained hazelnuts which I had said at the start of the meal when the waiter asked about allergies, that I was allergic to. I didn't make a scene. There was no need to. I was however, extremely disappointed in how the ball was dropped.

I love cruises for wonderful opportunities to be adventurous. 😍😋 I hope menus everywhere expand using the head chef's creativity and knowledge of different cuisine or ways of cooking that makes delicious meals safe for people with varying degrees of intolerance and allergy.

• Like 1

OK, I just opened the app to the current Constellation MDR menus; they are absolutely pitiful, especially if you have to avoid wheat.  Heck, they're pitiful no matter what.  Take a look, it isn't my imagination.  The E-class menus look pretty good.  Checked the Silhouette current menu and it's way better than the Constellation.  My upcoming 16-night M-class cruise is most assuredly my last on M-class....there are only so many times I'm willing to go to Tuscan = 5 out of 16 (Le Petit Chef is a not a good choice for gluten free).  I do wonder why the Constellation MDR menus are such a wasteland compared others; didn't check the other M-class ships (too depressed at Connie menus 🫢).  

Edited by goofysmom99
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Dreamer68 said:

@cgolf1, I hear you on the food restriction challenges. I also appreciated the symbols on the food labels in the Oceanview Café. Our daughter is now dairy intolerant but not a vegan so I was also scouting the Apex for her. While there was attention to detail was evident in informing guests via the labels or the wait staff at the MDRs, some of the execution was still amiss. E.g. on the night we were offered a celebratory treat for our anniversary, the cake delivered to the table at dessert time, albeit lovely, contained hazelnuts which I had said at the start of the meal when the waiter asked about allergies, that I was allergic to. I didn't make a scene. There was no need to. I was however, extremely disappointed in how the ball was dropped.

I love cruises for wonderful opportunities to be adventurous. 😍😋 I hope menus everywhere expand using the head chef's creativity and knowledge of different cuisine or ways of cooking that makes delicious meals safe for people with varying degrees of intolerance and allergy.

The buffet was a game changer for me, to this day Celebrity is the only cruise line I can get my food in the same time span as others. Other lines you have to ask for a chef and wait for them to walk you around before you can get your food. This for me will keep me on Celebrity for a long time:)

• Like 1

Well I can tell you that the cost of my cruise spiked up about $200 or so with the additional charges ...

Then you add the cost of specialty dining for the cruise to get a decent menu.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

OK, I just opened the app to the current Constellation MDR menus; they are absolutely pitiful, especially if you have to avoid wheat.  Heck, they're pitiful no matter what.  Take a look, it isn't my imagination.  The E-class menus look pretty good.  Checked the Silhouette current menu and it's way better than the Constellation.  My upcoming 16-night M-class cruise is most assuredly my last on M-class....there are only so many times I'm willing to go to Tuscan = 5 out of 16 (Le Petit Chef is a not a good choice for gluten free).  I do wonder why the Constellation MDR menus are such a wasteland compared others; didn't check the other M-class ships (too depressed at Connie menus 🫢).  

Yep.  That is our plan for Millie...  Go to Tuscan and eat outside when in port...

Edited by NMTraveller

15 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Yep.  That is our plan for Millie...  Go to Tuscan and eat outside when in port...

If it ever gets that bad we will do something else than cruising. Being thrifty has turned into a lifestyle for us lol and paying extra for food just doesn’t sit well with us. Just hoping the thrifty living pays off once we retire.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, goofysmom99 said:

I thought the up coming Connie menu in MDR look pretty good to me 

we will pass on Tuscan , wasnt  that great before Covid 

Edited by Ex-Airbalancer
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I thought the up coming Connie menu in MDR look pretty good to me 

we will pass on Tuscan , wasnt  that great before Covid 

We have no idea what the Connie menus will be in November.  I am looking at this week's actual menus.  And agree Tuscan is only marginally better than MDR, but at least it has some better gluten free choices.  I usually like their tuna when they don't overcook rare.  And since I have a stupid amount of OBC, might as well spend some there.

Edited by goofysmom99
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

We have no idea what the Connie menus will be in November.  I am looking at this week's actual menus.  And agree Tuscan is only marginally better than MDR, but at least it has some better gluten free choices.  I usually like their tuna when they don't overcook rare.  And since I have a stupid amount of OBC, might as well spend some there.

It is showing up on the App 

5 hours ago, Dreamer68 said:

@RichYak, thanks for finding this and posting it.

@cgolf1 - you got me at "Thrifty Couple"... 🤣 Totally reading this whole review and any others you might have.

I have a few. Our Panama Canal on the edge from this year, Canada New England on HAL this year, and at least one on the RCCL board. You will notice that what I lack in humor I try to make up for it with detail:) I also have one for the almost empty Connie which I am so glad we got to experience that. 

1 hour ago, cgolf1 said:

I have a few. Our Panama Canal on the edge from this year, Canada New England on HAL this year, and at least one on the RCCL board. You will notice that what I lack in humor I try to make up for it with detail:) I also have one for the almost empty Connie which I am so glad we got to experience that. 

Found the Connie one (trying to decide between her and Ascent for Mediterranean 2024) and will look for the HAL and RCL one. I haven't found enough Inside/ Oceanview sailors who do reviews.

• Like 1