Sorta LIVE— Oasis of the Seas — 9 days from Jersey- 8/4/23

10 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Love that port!  Hope you have access to the Beach Club !  Service, ambiance  and food 5 stars.

No Beach Club for us.. too pricey . 
In fact almost all of the ads-one are too expensive for us. We have done an Oasis Lagoon cabana in the past since we had 8 but once those prices reach 4 digits, I’m out. 

IMG_4426.jpeg

Crazy hot today. In fact the lagoon pool was warm and not refreshing— but that didn’t stop us from staying a few hours. 

Indy was our partner today.

IMG_4428.jpeg

IMG_4429.jpeg

IMG_4436.jpeg

We were both scheduled to leave at 5, we left a few minutes before them.

Sea day tomorrow then Labadee as we enjoy our “bonus days” to the usual 7 day itinerary.

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 8

Getting more excited every day as we get closer to our cruise!  Did a lot of people get off at Nassau and Port Canaveral?  Our plan is to stay on board and I am curious as to how crowded it will be on the ship. I know every sailing is different but wondering how it is on your sailing.

We splurged for a cabana at the Oasis Lagoon. Hoping it is a nice day for us. We have a larger group than usual and wanted a landing place for everyone. So glad I did it with 2 ships in port that day if I looked it up correctly. Never been there with 2 ships!

• Like 2

On 8/7/2023 at 2:13 PM, mac_tlc said:

Welcome to Nassau! A few of our group are getting off but I am not one of them. We have been watching the pier construction for a couple years now, looks like it’s about done. Glad they have covered areas for the half mile walk to town.

We have been watching the construction around the port in Nassau for a while now from the ship, but plan to get off when we stop there in April. We’ll get our steps in that day by walking around and checking out all of the changes.

I love ❤️ the first picture of the AquaTheater in post #74! Beautiful!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bayportkat said:

Getting more excited every day as we get closer to our cruise!  Did a lot of people get off at Nassau and Port Canaveral?  Our plan is to stay on board and I am curious as to how crowded it will be on the ship. I know every sailing is different but wondering how it is on your sailing.

We splurged for a cabana at the Oasis Lagoon. Hoping it is a nice day for us. We have a larger group than usual and wanted a landing place for everyone. So glad I did it with 2 ships in port that day if I looked it up correctly. Never been there with 2 ships!

Far fewer got off in Port Canaveral than Nassau. The ship certainly did not feel empty, but in Nassau you can feel the difference. 

You will love the Oasis Lagoon cabana. Since the pool is our main destination at Coco Cay, we like that it is so close. Great attendants to bring food, drinks. And as you say, a landing place for everyone. 

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 1

A few years back the stop in Port Canaveral was a lot longer and you had time to make it worthwhile going to Disney or Universal. Now it’s not worth the transportation and ticket expense for such a short time in parks. You can only see the Space Center so many times. Guess that’s why so many stay onboard. 

• Like 1

So , let me introduce you to the star of the cruise so far:

IMG_4411.jpeg

Nothing like moving air! DW asked the stateroom attendant on day one and Voila!!!!!

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CruisinBanka said:

You can only see the Space Center so many times. Guess that’s why so many stay onboard. 

I would argue that the current timings don't even allow for the space center.  1:00PM arrival means you would get there at 2 and ti closes at 5.  We'll be staying on the ship.

20 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

So , let me introduce you to the star of the cruise so far:

IMG_4411.jpeg

Nothing like moving air! DW asked the stateroom attendant on day one and Voila!!!!!

mac_tlc

Wow never knew you could request a fan. Great to know! 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

I would argue that the current timings don't even allow for the space center.  1:00PM arrival means you would get there at 2 and ti closes at 5.  We'll be staying on the ship.

Wow. Turning into a wasted port of call. I guess that leaves a beach visit or Ron Jon’s! Hopefully they get enough negative feedback on survey to eventually spend more time there so guest can actually do things.

4 minutes ago, CruisinBanka said:

Wow never knew you could request a fan. Great to know! 

They are not always available. I used to request through Special Needs and a few cruises back they said the ship no longer had them available but we were welcome to bring our own.  A couple of times I asked onboard and got one. The next time none were available so now we pack our own. I need the moving air and noise to sleep.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ace1zoe2 said:

They are not always available. I used to request through Special Needs and a few cruises back they said the ship no longer had them available but we were welcome to bring our own.  A couple of times I asked onboard and got one. The next time none were available so now we pack our own. I need the moving air and noise to sleep.

Thanks for the info!

15 minutes ago, CruisinBanka said:

Wow. Turning into a wasted port of call. 

Agreed.  

I've never looked into this, but, I wonder if it has something to do with provisioning.  Is it significantly less money for them to take on provisions in PC vs NYC?  That's the only thing I can come up with to justify an otherwise truly wasted port stop.    It doesn't bother us, we picked this itinerary because we wanted to do absolutely nothing.  

2 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

Agreed.  

I've never looked into this, but, I wonder if it has something to do with provisioning.  Is it significantly less money for them to take on provisions in PC vs NYC?  That's the only thing I can come up with to justify an otherwise truly wasted port stop.    It doesn't bother us, we picked this itinerary because we wanted to do absolutely nothing.  

I think it gas more to do with being a convenient place to stop and calling it a port. I always thought it a waste.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

Agreed.  

That’s an excellent point! Probably is cheaper for provisions in Florida. I’m sure shortening the length of stay, compared to years past, is another large cost savings for them. 

17 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I think it gas more to do with being a convenient place to stop and calling it a port. I always thought it a waste.

They could shake things up and stop at Freeport or Bimini instead. There's not much to do at either one, just like Port C, but it would be a different change of pace. I'm not saying better, just a little variety.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PATRLR said:

Agreed.  

It's exactly what it is. RC Has warehouses and distribution centers in FL, so it's a restock\fueling stop for the ship. 

2 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

What days and times was the headliner show available?  We are on the Oasis next week and I was curious. Thanks

Here is the show schedule, but it will be a bit different with the 7 day itinerary.

IMG_4349.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Scottdalfonso said:

It's exactly what it is. RC Has warehouses and distribution centers in FL, so it's a restock\fueling stop for the ship. 

FWIW, I saw only two tractor trailer trucks and no refueling barge while we were in PC. 

May not be the same every trip.

Last September when we did this trip someone asked the captain at the Q&A why we aren’t in PC longer and he indicated that they can’t get here faster ( long run and fighting the current all the way) and it would need to be a day longer itinerary. Then they could go slower and get to PC in the AM.

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 1

Well welcome to Labadee. — a hot hot Labadee. Ah, the relentless sun and the smell of burning in the mountains ! 

IMG_4440.jpeg

IMG_4439.jpeg

IMG_4438.jpeg

People started getting off at 7:40am. Bless their souls! 

We will not be getting off today, the length of that pier, lack of shade, and bringing the wheelchair have me longing for AC —- and a bit of pool time with few others. 

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 10

We will be on The Oasis in March, first time on RC having been invited by kids and grands. What’s up with the fan? Can you not get the room cool enough with the air conditioner? Thanks for your posts. We are used to very small ships, under 300 people, and this size is very intimidating. It seems like you can screw things up if you do not know what you are doing. For example getting into the shows important, and for all of us to be together. It will be rest of the families first RC cruise so we feel rather intimidated by the whole process.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, travelwell said:

We will be on The Oasis in March, first time on RC having been invited by kids and grands. What’s up with the fan? Can you not get the room cool enough with the air conditioner? Thanks for your posts. We are used to very small ships, under 300 people, and this size is very intimidating. It seems like you can screw things up if you do not know what you are doing. For example getting into the shows important, and for all of us to be together. It will be rest of the families first RC cruise so we feel rather intimidated by the whole process.

My wife likes it very cool— cooler than I prefer. Moving air makes it feel cooler so she asked for a fan. At home there is one in the bedroom year round. The room AC can vary from room to room. We have had some really cool and others not so much. 

For shows, there are three family shows that you can make reservations for. 

Aqua80 - in Aquatheatre. I strongly suggest you get reservations. For a March cruise, they will open somewhere around Feb 1, give or take. 

Frozen in Time - ice show. Reservations preferred but less necessary than Aqua80. 

Cats — lots of opinions here. Least necessary to have reservations. 

Adult comedy shows need reservations and usually fill quickly. 

To be honest, if you want to all eat in a specialty restaurant together, that’s a more important reservation to get, unless you are not picky regarding day and time. 

This is our 15th Oasis class voyage. Don’t stress about it too much. Lots of info on these boards. Ask any questions here or email me at “cc name” at Hotmail dot com.

Planning is half the fun 😜😜.

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

What days and times was the headliner show available?  We are on the Oasis next week and I was curious. Thanks

We r on the Aug 20 sailing and we have the production show One Sky, is it on the Aug 13 cruise?  I am hoping to c the compass for your cruise, as I am looking forward to the headliners. 

13 minutes ago, tokidoki said:

We r on the Aug 20 sailing and we have the production show One Sky, is it on the Aug 13 cruise?  I am hoping to c the compass for your cruise, as I am looking forward to the headliners. 

It isn't listed on our entertainment listing.  No headliner show.   I asked the suite concierge and haven't gotten a response.  

Edited by Cruise a holic

A few pictures of Oasis and Labadee from the Windjammer. Yah, I know I said earlier that I was not going to the Windjammer, but at 12:30 we needed food (😂) and Portside BBQ, Boardwalk Dog House, Johnny Rockets and Playmakers don’t open until 2:00. 

At least it wasn’t crowded and we found a seat in the back.

IMG_4446.jpeg

IMG_4447.jpeg

IMG_4448.jpeg

This is the real reason we stayed on board —- a pool with almost no one in it !!

IMG_4441.jpeg

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 7