Circumnavigation of Australia, clockwise or anti-clockwise?

phoenixx

Does anyone know if it is better to do the Australia circumnavigation clockwise or anti-clockwise and the reasons? 

I read something about this years ago and thought I'd saved it but didn't.

It seems some cruises do clockwise and some anti.

Google brings up nothing related to this on a cruise ship.

TIA for any help

Would definitely help to know the month of travel. Best to avoid the heat and humidity of the north in our summer, say October to March. In Darwin, they refer to November as 'suicide month' for a reason.  Also cyclone season in the the north, December to April worst period.  If hoping to swim, snorkel or dive in the top half of Australia, including our Great Barrier Reef, research head to toe stinger suits due to Box Jellyfish in warmer months and Irukandji all year.

If I was planning the timing, I would choose April/May for bottom half into May/June for top half.

Of course if outside optimum seasons, you have the benefit of an air-conditioned ship, but shore excursions will be more uncomfortable up north in our summer.

The posters on the Australia/New Zealand forum respond readily with lots of helpful information.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, bemis12 said:

Does the month of travel affect the clockwise or no consideration?

Yes, the air distance between Melbourne & Darwin is about 3,200 km.

So, very different weather patterns.

Post #3 is a helpful explanation.

May / June round the bottom half can be “sporty” at times.

Having said that, in Sept last year we had an unscheduled 2 night stay in Melbourne as the weather was too rough to exit Port Phillip Bay  heading West to Kangaroo Island.

Edited by Tranquility Base

4 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

Yes, the air distance between Melbourne & Darwin is about 3,200 km.

So, very different weather patterns.

Post #3 is a helpful explanation.

However May / June round the bottom half can be “sporty” at times.

I guess I'm confused as well...how can the month of travel make *any* difference as to direction taken.  You're going to pass through the same areas either way.

• Like 3

It is a natural requirement that there must be an equal number of ships going clockwise and anti-clockwise. Otherwise the entire continent becomes unbalanced and starts to spin uncontrollably, eventually disappearing beneath the sea in a giant whirlpool. 😉

• Haha 12

2 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

In early 2019, we cruised round-trip Sydney, 28 days on the Sea Princess.  We went clockwise.  I don't see what the difference would be as you will traverse the same areas within a close range of time???

We’re booked on the March/April 2025 circumnavigation roundtrip Brisbane and have only seen the clockwise direction on Princess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Tripmode33 said:

Would definitely help to know the month of travel. Best to avoid the heat and humidity of the north in our summer, say October to March. In Darwin, they refer to November as 'suicide month' for a reason.  Also cyclone season in the the north, December to April worst period.  If hoping to swim, snorkel or dive in the top half of Australia, including our Great Barrier Reef, research head to toe stinger suits due to Box Jellyfish in warmer months and Irukandji all year.

If I was planning the timing, I would choose April/May for bottom half into May/June for top half.

Of course if outside optimum seasons, you have the benefit of an air-conditioned ship, but shore excursions will be more uncomfortable up north in our summer.

The posters on the Australia/New Zealand forum respond readily with lots of helpful information.

Sorry I forgot to put the month. End October Sydney to Brisbane clockwise.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Astro Flyer said:

We’re booked on the March/April 2025 circumnavigation roundtrip Brisbane and have only seen the clockwise direction on Princess.

Yes this is Princess end October Sydney to Brisbane, clockwise.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tripmode33 said:

30th October Sydney to Brisbane clockwise

It has come to be quite a popular itinerary.  As well as Princess, we're now seeing other lines such as Cunard, HAL and P&O Australia offering it - the latter choosing June when all the other ships have left and June is usually nicer weather up north - less humid and hot.

The flexibility of starting and ending points is also improving, allowing for some land based sightseeing if time allows.  One itinerary even ends in New Zealand, if combining the two countries in one trip.

As to clockwise or anti-clockwise, there is some good information on seas across the southern bite on the Australian forum in recent posts. I notice the next Coral Princess this October is going anti-clockwise but often it is clockwise. I wouldn't let the direction sway your decision.  In my opinion the weather would be a bigger issue. But whichever cruise fits your schedule, I'm sure it will be a memorable trip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Tripmode33 said:

It has come to be quite a popular itinerary.  As well as Princess, we're now seeing other lines such as Cunard, HAL and P&O Australia offering it - the latter choosing June when all the other ships have left and June is usually nicer weather up north - less humid and hot.

The flexibility of starting and ending points is also improving, allowing for some land based sightseeing if time allows.  One itinerary even ends in New Zealand, if combining the two countries in one trip.

As to clockwise or anti-clockwise, there is some good information on seas across the southern bite on the Australian forum in recent posts. I notice the next Coral Princess this October is going anti-clockwise but often it is clockwise. I wouldn't let the direction sway your decision.  In my opinion the weather would be a bigger issue. But whichever cruise fits your schedule, I'm sure it will be a memorable trip.

Do you know which cruise end in NZ? Thanks

6 hours ago, phoenixxx said:

Do you know which cruise end in NZ? Thanks

Actually the one that ended in New Zealand was the Pacific Explorer (P&O Australia) leaving early June 2024. 32 nights. While June is perfect for the Australian portion, landing in New Zealand early July is not ideal temperature for touring New Zealand.

If preferring Princess, Coral Princess connects an around Australia itinerary with an embarkation in New Zealand in August 2024. The Australian portion only does Sydney to Fremantle (Perth) anti-clockwise so misses the Southern Coast I believe. I haven't looked at adjoining back to back options.  With this, again starting in New Zealand in August is not ideal timing for NZ, but nice weather for most of Australia, particularly northern half as approaching Spring.

33 minutes ago, Tripmode33 said:

Actually the one that ended in New Zealand was the Pacific Explorer (P&O Australia) leaving early June 2024. 32 nights. While June is perfect for the Australian portion, landing in New Zealand early July is not ideal temperature for touring New Zealand.

If preferring Princess, Coral Princess connects an around Australia itinerary with an embarkation in New Zealand in August 2024. The Australian portion only does Sydney to Fremantle (Perth) anti-clockwise so misses the Southern Coast I believe. I haven't looked at adjoining back to back options.  With this, again starting in New Zealand in August is not ideal timing for NZ, but nice weather for most of Australia, particularly northern half as approaching Spring.

Thanks for that. I'm in NZ so familiar with the weather here.

1 minute ago, phoenixxx said:

Thanks for that. I'm in NZ so familiar with the weather here.

I love New Zealand in any weather. A country truly blessed with natural wonder.  We try to do a small land-based area each year. We'll never run out of areas to explore. It's a lot bigger country than most visitors imagine!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tripmode33 said:

I love New Zealand in any weather. A country truly blessed with natural wonder.  We try to do a small land-based area each year. We'll never run out of areas to explore. It's a lot bigger country than most visitors imagine!

The timing of the P& O one is good but don't want to do 32 nights on P&O 

Is it true that watches and clocks in Australia run in the other direction?  Kind of like toilet flushes?  [I know that "scientists" say that the Coriolis effect does not change the direction of the toilet flush, but I am a skeptic!  All my life I've been told that it is the Coriolis effect.]  So, is "clockwise" and "counter-clockwise" the same Down Under as it is in North America?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, phoenixxx said:

The timing of the P& O one is good but don't want to do 32 nights on P&O 

Having been a loyal Princess cruiser with a few dozen cruises done with them, and a smattering of other lines, we resisted ever booking a P&O Australia cruise due to reading other's reviews and our 'perception'. A few months ago, we decided to find out for ourselves and booked P&O  Encounter for a seven night Qld trip.  Loved it!  Based on that single experience, we think we'd enjoy a 32 nighter with them. But other commitments next year will prevent us booking.  Could P&O  have improved post-covid?

3 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

Is it true that watches and clocks in Australia run in the other direction?  Kind of like toilet flushes?  [I know that "scientists" say that the Coriolis effect does not change the direction of the toilet flush, but I am a skeptic!  All my life I've been told that it is the Coriolis effect.]  So, is "clockwise" and "counter-clockwise" the same Down Under as it is in North America?

My thoughts exactly! 🙃

On 8/7/2023 at 12:58 PM, Tripmode33 said:

Having been a loyal Princess cruiser with a few dozen cruises done with them, and a smattering of other lines, we resisted ever booking a P&O Australia cruise due to reading other's reviews and our 'perception'. A few months ago, we decided to find out for ourselves and booked P&O  Encounter for a seven night Qld trip.  Loved it!  Based on that single experience, we think we'd enjoy a 32 nighter with them. But other commitments next year will prevent us booking.  Could P&O  have improved post-covid?

Not according to reviews I've read recently.

After we did our very long Australia driving trip I started telling people that because we were south of the equator the sun rose in the west and set in the east. Amazing that some people believed me.  I never thought to add that in Australia clocks ran anti-clockwise.

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1