A Mystery

exlondoner

4 minutes ago, DaisyUK said:

I did re-write my review and it has now appeared. I think I must have made an error when I submitted it originally because I've now realised I never received an email from CC the first time to confirm receipt, but I did this time. Agree that it's hard to understand why anyone would choose to cruise with Cunard if they weren't prepared to dress at least reasonably smartly for dinner! 

I’m glad it has reappeared, and it is nice to see overwhelmingly positive comments. Mind you, it would be awful to book a Q2 and then be disappointed.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I’m glad it has reappeared, and it is nice to see overwhelmingly positive comments. Mind you, it would be awful to book a Q2 and then be disappointed.

I know, and you're absolutely right. But, despite the fact that the suite definitely helped, the cruise exceeded our expectations in ways that were independent of our suite and QG generally. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I will say that Cunard is just not for everybody, and that sometimes may be especially so for those who travel with children, who may not necessarily receive the casual family cruise they may be seeking. Forgoing the dress-up experience of formal nights almost defeats the purpose of sailing on the elegant and traditional Cunard Queens.  

The complaints seem to all be focused on buffet food and ice cream--did they never sit down in the dining room?  As to wi-fi, we never use it--we prefer to attend lectures about architecture, or try to get seats for a planetarium show, or go off on an amazing shore excursion.

I just booked the QV for next Summer, but I am always ready to sail on the QM2!

• Like 3

They didn’t really comment on the children’s facilities. But the reports from those who do are almost universally positive, and the children one sees around the ship seem to be both beautifully behaved and having a great time. I still remember with great amusement an encounter outside the Commodore Club with about fifteen seven year old pirates with cutlasses.

• Like 4

I must say I don't think the reviewer originally mentioned is incorrect in her assessment of the downfall of the buffet. On one of the other queens since the re-start, I have also found a massive decline in the choice and quality of the food being offerred there, from early morning right through to dinner time. Prior to the shutdown the buffet food, on QE in any case, was more than acceptable but my most recent experience was hugely disappointing.

It's quite useful for the ships to have a buffet at which one can have a proper meal or a light snack - whatever is needed and for whatever reason.

By the way, the soft serve in the buffet on the QE was really unpalatable. It must be much better on QM2 if people are concerned about the machine being out of order.

7 hours ago, exlondoner said:

They didn’t really comment on the children’s facilities. But the reports from those who do are almost universally positive, and the children one sees around the ship seem to be both beautifully behaved and having a great time. I still remember with great amusement an encounter outside the Commodore Club with about fifteen seven year old pirates with cutlasses.

I never realized that children have their own afternoon teas, depending on age group. That is a nice touch by Cunard. 

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you, Pushpit, for the link.  I have just read the review, and am confused.  Was the reviewer in QG?  There was a side-swipe at a false QG pretence.  If so, why on earth would anybody of sound mind pay for QG when they shun dressing for dinner (in my opinion one of the delightful experiences of a voyage) and deprive themselves and their family of the (with few exceptions) sublime ambience and fare of the QG restaurant?  If their only goal was "a buffet and a lounge", then it's quite beyond me why they were sailing Cunard at all.   I did note a reference to not dressing for the MDR, so I assume that means the reviewer wasn't in Grills, so why even mention it?  Why not dress for an enjoyable evening in any restaurant?  Formal attire is only required on gala evenings, so leave the buffet and lounge for those few dining experiences.

We have sailed with Seabourn, Silversea, Oceania and NCL in its "Haven".  We have enjoyed most aspects of these admittedly diverse cruising experiences.  We are usually itinerary driven, hence our choosing a variety of cruise lines.  We are sailing on our sixth Oceania cruise next year, this time on their new vessel, Vista, just before our second Cunard voyage.  

Our first Cunard experience was QE in January of this year, and we enjoyed the entire relaxing and friendly voyage so much that we have booked QA's "British Isles" in May of next year.  It will be fascinating to compare brand new vessels from the different brands. 

Despite missing several ports and sail-by experiences in New Zealand waters because Cunard really did drop the baton and neglect to attend to the required hull cleaning, the overall enjoyment of life aboard Queen Elizabeth outweighed those considerable negatives. 

I should confess here that Cunard received such  a storm of criticism because of the blunder that all passengers were offered  a credit of half the cost of that particular voyage, to be used anytime within four years of that sailing.  However, and we have discussed this very thoroughly before booking QA, we would never repeat an unenjoyable experience, even if it was fully funded.

We didn't partake in the evening buffet, because admittedly, we were thoroughly enjoying every dining encounter in the QG restaurant, especially, but not solely, the gala evenings.   We met some wonderful new acquaintances, were impressed by the very attentive and efficient staff, and with only one exception, relished the well-presented and delicious fare and wines. 

Seriously, a nightly buffet and a lounge?  Stay comfortable, and stay home.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I believe I'm of sound mind. I'm on QV queens grill next month and am unlikely to use the restaurant for dinner. My body clock is such that I don't do 'dinner' anymore. 

Surely people are entitled to have the holiday they wish, and to criticise their choices is somewhat unreasonable in my opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PurpleMoonlight said:

I believe I'm of sound mind. I'm on QV queens grill next month and am unlikely to use the restaurant for dinner. My body clock is such that I don't do 'dinner' anymore. 

Surely people are entitled to have the holiday they wish, and to criticise their choices is somewhat unreasonable in my opinion. 

I wouldn’t dream of questioning your sanity, if that is the implication.  Of course we are all free to embark on the holiday of our choice.  I simply do not understand why the reviewer, who in fact bemoaned the only option  for their evening meal was the buffet because they “don’t dress for dinner”, then launched into a buffet demolition.  Cunard offers many dining options.  The Golden Lion pub, for example, is a casual venue where I’m rather certain casual attire is perfectly acceptable.  Diners remaining for the great Irish duo entertainment every evening we attended after dinner were very casually dressed, and to my observation, not an eyebrow was raised.  For the restaurants, all that is required on non-gala evenings, is smart casual.  No effort needed for that.  For those not requiring an evening neal, and that includes us occasionally, there us no need  to offer a review at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

Just to add, dinner isn't usually offered in the Golden Lion on QV or QM2. 

Thanks for the info, Hattie.  It was offered in QE, so I assumed it was offered throughout Cunard’s fleet.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2023 at 9:42 AM, Pushpit said:

Here is the URL for the review in question to help others:

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=703942

It's odd because some details of the ice cream machine are correct, so s/he must have been on QM2, but there are two machines and I've never seen them out of service for more than a few minutes, plus when the meal service time is over, which may be the issue here.

The way it comes across is that s/he had a sub-par experience or two in Kings Court /elsewhere and stretched that over the whole week. So yes the salads and side dishes don't change much but the main hot dishes do change every day. 

If s/he wasn't willing to dress up - hardly an imposition on Smart Attire nights - then I'm note quite sure why they chose Cunard to complain about their own decision to limit themselves.

Thanks Pushpit for posting the link so that those of us who had not read the review could follow what others on this thread were discussing. The review was strange to say the least.  With all the different cruise lines and their personalities out there, I can't imagine why someone who doesn't want to dress up, even for Smart Attire, (apparently knowing what the dress code was, having cruised pre-covid on Cunard), would choose to sail on a Cunard ship.🤨  From everything I have read about Cunard over the past several months, the review caused me to wonder if the cruiser was confused not only about the itinerary s/he was (not) enjoying (since nothing posted about that) but also which line s/he was on.😕

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, aaaaa said:

Shame to learn about the deterioration in the quality of the buffet, as we had planned to eat most meals there.  Now we may re-think the whole trip (but will watch future reviews).

Not QM2 I know but I read elsewhere, the buffet on QV [lunchtime] had deteriorated.

On both our two week cruises this year, I was hard pressed not to eat lunch all the time there as I thought it excellent.

One man's poison, is another's' feast.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Not QM2 I know but I read elsewhere, the buffet on QV [lunchtime] had deteriorated.

On both our two week cruises this year, I was hard pressed not to eat lunch all the time there as I thought it excellent.

One man's poison, is another's' feast.

Thanks.  Our trip will be on QV.

1 hour ago, aaaaa said:

Shame to learn about the deterioration in the quality of the buffet, as we had planned to eat most meals there.  Now we may re-think the whole trip (but will watch future reviews).

When were you last onboard? I too haven't noticed any obvious deterioration in the Lido/Kings Court, in fact things like chicken adobo would have been unlikely 5 years ago, the menu options are perhaps a bit more global post pandemic. However if Cunard is new to you, I would urge you to go to at least one evening in Britannia / Grills, even if it's perhaps a trial run for another cruise. It's a bit difficult to explain but there's a whole evening culture from meal, entertainment, drinks, which segues really well together and even if it's not really for you, I think it's best to try it at least once, if only to confirm it's not what you want!

• Like 3

This is a recent (July 2023) QV Lido menu for the evening.

image.thumb.jpeg.660bfdce44a1aec9fcf7c6a928646b36.jpeg

When it says, for example, "selection of salads and dressings", that really underplays the many different salad items that are available on the buffet, so this is perhaps more useful in terms of the main hot items. There's the pizza items on top of this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pushpit said:

This is a recent (July 2023) QV Lido menu for the evening.

image.thumb.jpeg.660bfdce44a1aec9fcf7c6a928646b36.jpeg

When it says, for example, "selection of salads and dressings", that really underplays the many different salad items that are available on the buffet, so this is perhaps more useful in terms of the main hot items. There's the pizza items on top of this.

A newbie here: to clarify, this is a menu for the main dinner buffet, or is this a full-service venue?  Also, if there are additional buffet menus to be seen, please advise.

25 minutes ago, aaaaa said:

A newbie here: to clarify, this is a menu for the main dinner buffet, or is this a full-service venue?  Also, if there are additional buffet menus to be seen, please advise.

I believe I mentioned it was the Lido, which on QV is the buffet restaurant, whereas Britannia is the full service restaurant and has a different menu. The menus change every night, plus there is a separate menu series for lunch, both for the Lido and Britannia. But for the Lido a lot of options stay the same, notably the various salad items.

2 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

I believe I mentioned it was the Lido, which on QV is the buffet restaurant, whereas Britannia is the full service restaurant and has a different menu. The menus change every night, plus there is a separate menu series for lunch, both for the Lido and Britannia. But for the Lido a lot of options stay the same, notably the various salad items.

So this website for the Lido (https://www.cunard.com/en-us/activity-types/dining/dinner-at-the-lido) lists what venues, exactly? Specialty sections that are also part of the Lido but separate from the buffet?

As an aside, what a great board this is!  Thanks to all of you who have responded and shared their knowledge.

• Like 1

Those are pop up restaurants close to the main Lido, which are at additional cost. Not many passengers use them but they are physically separate from the Lido. The exact restaurant option varies by cruise route, hence the pop up aspect. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Pushpit said:

Those are pop up restaurants close to the main Lido, which are at additional cost. Not many passengers use them but they are physically separate from the Lido. The exact restaurant option varies by cruise route, hence the pop up aspect. 

And over the years, I have enjoyed Coriander, La Piazza, and Riviera very much, though the helpings in all are far too large.

• Like 1