Beverage package - 3 in room?

tartanmom

I've got a cruise booked with 3 adults in the room - one of whom doesnt drink alcohol. Can I book HIA for 2 of us and then the non alcoholic package for the 3rd? Or is HIA required for all passengers on the booking? 

@tartanmom be aware that if the third person does get the HIA package that it includes the specialty coffees, mocktails and soft drinks.  If they have a several of those types of drinks a day, it can still be a decent value for them!

Have a great cruise!

~Nancy

• Like 2

1 minute ago, oakridger said:

@tartanmom be aware that if the third person does get the HIA package that it includes the specialty coffees, mocktails and soft drinks.  If they have a several of those types of drinks a day, it can still be a decent value for them!

Have a great cruise!

~Nancy

Yes, and the HIA package does include the speciality dining perks, wifi and a excursion credit. Two of us will definitely be getting the HIA package so if I have to buy it for her too it is what it is. She isn't a big drinker of anything other than water so HAL will be making a profit off her. 😀

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Msrigby said:

She can “buy” rounds for the other two cruisers. WIN/WIN. 

5 minutes ago, dockman said:

so 45 drinks a day for 3 people and only 2 drink?  that is a lot of drinks....

sharing is "not allowed" so this might cause trouble

14 minutes ago, richwmn said:

sharing is "not allowed" so this might cause trouble

It could if one was not subtle. The non drinker would have to order what there friend wants and then they would probably have to move to another space. It would be a pain but doable. That being said the drink limit may make enforcement less of an issue. Do other cruise line still have "open" drink packages? When we cruised on Celebrity in 2019 our included in our fare drink package had a price limit, but I don't think there was limit on the number of drinks. I could be wrong we don't drink enough to test the limits of a drink package.

Edited by Blackduck59
typo

7 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

It could if one was not subtle. The non drinker would have to order what there friend wants and then they would probably have to move to another space. It would be a pain but doable. That being said the drink limit may make enforcement less of an issue. Do other cruise line still have "open" drink packages? When we cruised on Celebrity in 2019 our included in our fare drink package had a price limit, but I don't think there was limit on the number of drinks. I could be wrong we don't drink enough to test the limits of a drink package.

Yes there is a number of drinks per day limit and sharing is not allowed. However, passengers are allowed to buy someone a drink - just be reasonable - if you're at a 2-top with 3 people ("hi, pull up a chair and join us" situation) don't order 5 drinks. Yes, bartenders do have the ability to see beyond the edge of the bar...

My experience, HAL hasn't been jerky but I don't push.

Remember, the drinks counted are not just alcoholic - "foofy coffee," water, fresh squeezed juice and other things also count against the daily minimum so one can have a larger daily count than they might think they would.

1 minute ago, Haljo1935 said:

Yes there is a number of drinks per day limit and sharing is not allowed. However, passengers are allowed to buy someone a drink - just be reasonable - if you're at a 2-top with 3 people ("hi, pull up a chair and join us" situation) don't order 5 drinks. Yes, bartenders do have the ability to see beyond the edge of the bar...

My experience, HAL hasn't been jerky but I don't push.

Remember, the drinks counted are not just alcoholic - "foofy coffee," water, fresh squeezed juice and other things also count against the daily minimum so one can have a larger daily count than they might think they would.

Yes, we are mildly concerned about the drink count, we don't drink a lot of alcohol but she does enjoy a nice latte or special tea. I doubt we will reach the count. We used to drink bottled water on Celebrity because there was no drink count when we cruised with them. I think we will probably drink the free water onboard with some ice to keep it cold. Hopefully HAL will have some nice logoed water bottles in there shops.

10 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Yes, we are mildly concerned about the drink count, we don't drink a lot of alcohol but she does enjoy a nice latte or special tea. I doubt we will reach the count. We used to drink bottled water on Celebrity because there was no drink count when we cruised with them. I think we will probably drink the free water onboard with some ice to keep it cold. Hopefully HAL will have some nice logoed water bottles in there shops.

The selection of the HAL water bottles in the shops has been very limited and disappointing. While I love acquiring HAL logoed souvenir items, I would suggest acquiring insulated water bottles in advance and just bringing them with you. Brands I personally recommend are Takeya, Yeti, and Hydroflask. All can be purchased at a variety of locations, both online and brick-and-mortar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Yes, we are mildly concerned about the drink count, we don't drink a lot of alcohol but she does enjoy a nice latte or special tea. I doubt we will reach the count. We used to drink bottled water on Celebrity because there was no drink count when we cruised with them. I think we will probably drink the free water onboard with some ice to keep it cold. Hopefully HAL will have some nice logoed water bottles in their shops.

I am never without a cup or bottle of water, and so I tend to buy these as souvenirs and can be quite hard on them (I love the dishwasher!) so I can say from experience in the HAL gift shops it is hit or miss. Sometimes they have lots of versions, and various special designs. Other times it’s quite sparse selection.  However one thing has been constant: the cups with lids and straws (regardless of material) are of poorer quality than the metal tumbler types. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1