Nine Sea Days

TMLAalum

We've never cruised Princess, but the Emerald has an itinerary to Greenland/NF/NS that really appeals to DH and I, except for the 9 days at sea. Weather would likely be too chilly to spend much time on the outside decks to enjoy MUTS. What enrichment and other activities could fill our non-port days? Thanks.

We recently went on a 16 day Panama Canal full transit. It only had 4 ports to visit and the Canal cruising day. So, 11 sea days !  Yes there was trivia several times a day and a couple of games each day. And of course 3 meals a day in the dining room. We thought it would be relaxing. But by day 10 it was all very repetitious and a bit boring. We decided it was way too long for us. Too many sea days.  Just our opinion !! 😋

We were on a 17 day Transatlanic, starting in Ft. Lauderdale, with 4 ports in Iceland, 1 in Canada and one in the U.K. before disembarking in Southampton. There were numerous enrichment lectures in addition to the trivia, etc. I thought we would be bored, but honestly, we found it to be excellent. The lectures were really interesting and we enjoyed the relaxation on sea days. We booked a transatlantic for 2025 because we loved Iceland and want to do it again! Anyhow, this is also just our two cents worth!

• Like 1

They will do their best to "fill" the day with various activities.  Some will likely be a bit on the silly side...some very interesting.  If you're a reader be prepared with 2 or 3 good books.  We always like to play Bingo.  I myself really look forward to sea days.  I view it as "not having to spend money on excursions"!

I assume you are thinking about the 17 day, August 11, 2024 cruise RT Boston. While there are 9 sea days there are no more than 2 days days together. This cruise may have a lecturer on board. There may be movies shown in the theater. On sea days there will be plenty of cruise director activities such as trivia, karaoke, and what I call silly games. There should be all the usual demos by the kitchen and bar staffs. Normally Princess sets aside times during the daytime in one of the specialty restaurants for passengers to play cards, mahjong and other games. Passengers find others to enjoy the day. I have been on many cruises with lots of sea days and always found something to do. I enjoy the sea days. 

On TA from England to NYC the Captain woke us up at 6 AM to point out the huge icebergs around Greenland.  Kind of cold outside - 40 degree and 40 kt wind.

Stopped in Nanatorlik.  We had 1700 passengers and island has 1400 residents.  Great people - showed off old way of living in tents, dancing, food.  Great little (about 15x15 ft) gift shop.  Calendars were $30 (imported) and elbow length ladies reindeer fur gloves were $17 (locally made).