Has Anyone Made it to Greenland?

luvtosing

22 hours ago, rmalbers said:

You know, that's what I liked about the stops in greenland and some in iceland.  I kept thinking about what it would have been like to cruise in AK before the towns got like they are like today.

We were able to tender in to Qarqatoq in 2019. The town (village?) greeted us with sea kayaking demonstrations and traditional music. I thought it was a great port to visit. But it wasn’t for others — I recall a Viking couple complaining vociferously that there “wasn’t enough to do” in Qarqatoq. For some, I guess, the allure of a place starts and ends with mass tourism and big fancy tours. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, SJD117 said:

We were able to tender in to Qarqatoq in 2019. The town (village?) greeted us with sea kayaking demonstrations and traditional music. I thought it was a great port to visit. But it wasn’t for others — I recall a Viking couple complaining vociferously that there “wasn’t enough to do” in Qarqatoq. For some, I guess, the allure of a place starts and ends with mass tourism and big fancy tours. 

We also visited Qarqatog in 2019 and really enjoyed the visit. Local students stood on street corners helping people find things, answering questions and just chatting with passengers. A chance for them to practice English and for passengers to get a little  one to one contact. This year we missed both ports, but tendered to Paamiut instead…an interesting stop, but no one on one contact.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2024 at 4:54 PM, oskidunker said:

I wish there was aGreenland cruise without iceland

I'm sure I've seen that but I'm not sure which line it was.   Search around though, I'm sure you can do that. Having said that, I have seen comments on, at least one of the airports there is, that's say, on the small side and there might be issues.  That kind of makes since actually.  You probably want to do it via round trip.

7 hours ago, rmalbers said:

I'm sure I've seen that but I'm not sure which line it was.   Search around though, I'm sure you can do that. Having said that, I have seen comments on, at least one of the airports there is, that's say, on the small side and there might be issues.  That kind of makes since actually.  You probably want to do it via round trip.

I was one of those posters.  We are doing a B2B on Orion.  Starting from Milwaukee, through the seaway, up the coast of Greenland with 5 ports and continue to the NW passage.  We never go to Iceland....but probably will on the flight back as a connection.  😉 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Yes, there is Viking Expeditions itinerary -- that includes Greenland and Northwest Passage. R/T Nunavuut, I think.

Yes, there is a new Expedition cruise:  Nuuk to Nuuk Round Trip.  "Into the Northwest Passage".  We have friends who've booked it and are trying to get us to join.  Warning - it's not cheap.

image.thumb.png.f2fc75058da81ca91b692db823f88e2c.png

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 2

looking at Nuk to Nuk too. But also would like to the Chilean Fjords on the smaller ship (160 to one your review convinced me last year. ).  Kent you and Pam would really like the Expedition Ship I think.

We have two long trips next year ( 75th Birthdays and 50th wedding anniversary) so we need to wait a bit before booking a 2026.

10 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Yes, there is a new Expedition cruise:  Nuuk to Nuuk Round Trip.  "Into the Northwest Passage".  We have friends who've booked it and are trying to get us to join.  Warning - it's not cheap.

image.thumb.png.f2fc75058da81ca91b692db823f88e2c.png

We have booked this for September 2025 - we got “greedy” with northern lights sightings in Norway in Feb, thinking there may be potential for more sightings on this itinerary at that time of year.   Also loved Octantis, but didn’t get to use “toys” on the Great Lakes we did.  Hoping for “toy time” too.   
headed to Greenland soon on a HX ship.  Missed Greenland on 2021 due to lack of ice in East Greenland on a different ship.

hoping that at least one of these will actually work to get to Greenland.

the new Nuuk airport should be open soon, so flights may be easier 😀

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Octantis maybe?

Thanks.  Yeah, I just caught that just now.  🙂  Serves me right for posting after a couple glasses of wine. 😄 

Yes, Octantis.  We are on Orion in Australia/NZ combo with Venus.  😉 

Hey that reminds me of a joke...."Nuuk Nuuk....who's there?".   Sorry...need coffee!!  😵

Edited by island lady