Earth and Ocean Cold Weather Cruises

aliaschief

27 minutes ago, CalmSea said:

Maybe the heaters mentioned by @Covepointcruiserand the infrared heaters mentioned by @Jimmycruiser are similar to the ones we saw on Odyssey. They do not have any red hot elements. They looked just like an extra ceiling panel, and can be easily missed. But they radiate heat.

We had no heat.  We asked for heaters.  There were none mentioned or offered.  We'll certainly investigate next time we are on Ovation!  We were fine. We enjoyed our meals.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, SLSD said:

We saw no heaters and none were offered when we asked.  They were not evident as built in because we did not see them either. We looked for them.   We could have used them!  Are you sure you are not thinking about the Veranda outside of the Colonnade?  I am mystified as several people were asking about heaters.  

I agree with Calmsea that they are very easy to miss since they blend in so well and do not glow but do radiate heat when on. They were installed when ship was built. Nobody seems to be in charge of regulating them since I had to ask CS to get someone to turn them on two separate cold mornings in the Aft outside smoking area of Seabourn Square. Only ate at patio twice and heaters were not on but I decided not to complain since it was not too cold.

Am on the Quest now and there are some infrared ceiling heat lamps at Earth and Ocean.  Some folks seem to be happy in their coats and blankets while enjoying dinner.  At the moment we are non Iceland and the venue has been functioning on a normal basis.

Hank

I have just corresponded with another SB cruiser--who was on the Ovation with us in June.  I knew that she and her husband dined at Earth And Ocean.  She also says that there are no heaters at Earth and Ocean on Ovation,  In fact, she tells me that she had an extensive conversation with a member of the wait staff about this.  The wait staff member told her that there are NO heaters at Earth and Ocean on Ovation and that sometimes it is SO cold she can barely work there.  SO--if heaters have indeed been installed SINCE June 26th, that is great.  But they were NOT there earlier in June.  We also asked about heaters and were told that there are none.  I am still mystified.  

• Like 1

To quote the SB cruiser who sailed with us on Ovation in June:

"They are absolutely wrong!! Ovation and her sister ship do not have heaters! The staff jokes they ran out of $$ when building the ship."

(I cannot verify that she is correct about Encore.  We've sailed on Encore, but it was a warm weather cruise.  

Edited by SLSD

6 hours ago, SLSD said:

"They are absolutely wrong!! Ovation and her sister ship do not have heaters! The staff jokes they ran out of $$ when building the ship."

(I cannot verify that she is correct about Encore.  We've sailed on Encore, but it was a warm weather cruise.  

So you believe several of us our lying. Your friends statement is wrong and whoever they talked to were wrong.  You just can not accept you were wrong. Do you want me to get photos and a statement from engineering that the heaters have been on Ovation since inception? Get over it.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Jimmycruiser said:

So you believe several of us our lying. Your friends statement is wrong and whoever they talked to were wrong.  You just can not accept you were wrong. Do you want me to get photos and a statement from engineering that the heaters have been on Ovation since inception? Get over it.

No one is saying that you are lying.  Don't be ridiculous.  The simple fact is that those of us on Ovation in June (me, Mr. SLSD, and our friends whom I quoted) ALL asked about heaters at Earth and Ocean and were ALL told that there were none.  It's a simple as that.  AND, we did not ask the same people.  As I said, I'm mystified.  I would love photos as we actively looked for built in heaters also.  

2 hours ago, SLSD said:

2 hours ago, SLSD said:

In May 2023  we ate virtually every evening at Earth & Ocean and they categorically do have heaters.  May 2023 was cold. Believe you me there were heaters. 

• Like 1

Just now, Tallante said:

In May 2023  we ate virtually every evening at Earth & Ocean and they categorically do have heaters.  May 2023 was cold. Believe you me there were heaters. 

So very odd that we were told there was no heat.  That's all I have to say.  

1 hour ago, Jimmycruiser said:

Do you want me to get photos and a statement from engineering that the heaters have been on Ovation since inception?

Yes please, that would be helpful. Photo evidence will always help resolve a difference involving disputed facts.  

2 hours ago, Sunprince said:

Yes please, that would be helpful. Photo evidence will always help resolve a difference involving disputed facts.  

I am not really disputing fact.  What I am puzzled by is the answers we got from SB staff when we asked about heaters at Earth and Ocean.  Were they obfuscating about heaters which were not working?  All I know is that we asked--and no heat or heaters were provided or were available.  That was OUR experience.  Perhaps yours is indeed different.  

Edited by SLSD

13 hours ago, SLSD said:

That was OUR experience.  Perhaps yours is indeed different.  

I have not sailed on Ovation, so I have no experience with heaters on the ship. Also can’t comment on what the crew did or did not tell you. Regardless, looking up might have more easily answered the question 🙂

45 minutes ago, Jimmycruiser said:

Photos of outside heaters. First is Deck 7 Aft. Second & Third photo patio grill area.

Thank you, this definitely solves the debate! 

Of course we did look up. There was no heat available on our cruise.  We asked!  These heaters were not in the area where we sat--which was the most protected area.  Look--I don't doubt they are there now and operational.  I was just telling about our own experience in June.  I am. not an idiot.  I know how to ask people for heat.  

• Like 1

I thought I would chime in on the Earth & Ocean heater debate. I sailed on the Ovation June 10-25 Copenhagen to Copenhagen. We ate at E & O the very first night and as we had just sailed from Copenhagen so the weather was beautiful and perfect for dining outside so I never even thought about heaters. But obviously the farther up the Norwegian Coast we sailed the colder it got. We went to E&O one night as we were sure there were heaters but were told by the Maitre'D and waiters that unfortunately there were no heaters on deck 9. We tried to bundle up for the dinner but it was just too cold so we bailed and went to The Restaurant. Even at several lunches around the pool we were cold and the waiters commiserated with us that even they were often miserable without heaters. I even now just checked with 2 people we met on the cruise who confirmed no heaters! So I am amazed that others did experience heaters! Perhaps they were installed after our cruise? Why would staff lie to us that there were no heaters?? We all must admit though that this is a ridiculous first world problem and debate but it is 100 degrees in Portland right now and I need a diversion. 

heaters.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, makinlikeshrimp said:

I thought I would chime in on the Earth & Ocean heater debate. I sailed on the Ovation June 10-25 Copenhagen to Copenhagen. We ate at E & O the very first night and as we had just sailed from Copenhagen so the weather was beautiful and perfect for dining outside so I never even thought about heaters. But obviously the farther up the Norwegian Coast we sailed the colder it got. We went to E&O one night as we were sure there were heaters but were told by the Maitre'D and waiters that unfortunately there were no heaters on deck 9. We tried to bundle up for the dinner but it was just too cold so we bailed and went to The Restaurant. Even at several lunches around the pool we were cold and the waiters commiserated with us that even they were often miserable without heaters. I even now just checked with 2 people we met on the cruise who confirmed no heaters! So I am amazed that others did experience heaters! Perhaps they were installed after our cruise? Why would staff lie to us that there were no heaters?? We all must admit though that this is a ridiculous first world problem and debate but it is 100 degrees in Portland right now and I need a diversion. 

heaters.jpg

Thanks for chiming in.  I think everyone here thought I was a complete air brain.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We love Earth and Ocean as it is our favorite dining venue on Seabourn.  On our Antarctica cruise a few years ago, we dined at E & O outdoors in the cold a couple of times and were happy.  Not totally comfortable, but the staff did their best to provide blankies, etc.  And the food and wine made it all worthwhile.  A little adventure on a cruise ship.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2023 at 1:54 PM, SLSD said:

(

9 hours ago, SLSD said:

Thanks for chiming in.  I think everyone here thought I was a complete air brain.  

I owe you an apology. When I talked to engineering about outside heaters originally, apparently he was referring to the outside heaters on AFT deck 7 & 9 and not the patio grill area when he said they were installed when ship was built. Because of the ongoing controversy I decided to ask again this time specifically about the grill area heaters and he said they were installed a couple of weeks ago (just before the start of our cruise) and power turned on a few days ago. That explains why they look much newer than those on the AFT decks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jimmycruiser said:

(

I owe you an apology. When I talked to engineering about outside heaters originally, apparently he was referring to the outside heaters on AFT deck 7 & 9 and not the patio grill area when he said they were installed when ship was built. Because of the ongoing controversy I decided to ask again this time specifically about the grill area heaters and he said they were installed a couple of weeks ago (just before the start of our cruise) and power turned on a few days ago. That explains why they look much newer than those on the AFT decks.

Thank you.  

On 8/11/2023 at 1:45 PM, Tallante said:

you don't mention which ship you were on! the older and smaller ships do have heaters at E&O...The Ovation just got heaters in early July

• Thanks 1

On 8/12/2023 at 9:20 AM, SLSD said:

Of course we did look up. There was no heat available on our cruise.  We asked!  These heaters were not in the area where we sat--which was the most protected area.  Look--I don't doubt they are there now and operational.  I was just telling about our own experience in June.  I am. not an idiot.  I know how to ask people for heat.  

Susan,

the were NO heaters on the pool deck and E & O areas on the April Ovation crossing

nancy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nancygp said:

Susan,

the were NO heaters on the pool deck and E & O areas on the April Ovation crossing

nancy

Thank you Nancy.  Actually, we were ALL correct.  There were no heaters at Earth and Ocean on Ovation until recently--and they were installed AFTER our June 2023 cruise.  I'm glad they were installed!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, SLSD said:

Thank you Nancy.  Actually, we were ALL correct.  There were no heaters at Earth and Ocean on Ovation until recently--and they were installed AFTER our June 2023 cruise.  I'm glad they were installed!

In reply to Makinlikeshrimp’s quote, we were on the Encore.  We used them most evenings and the staff would switch them in and off as necessary.