Best way to book on MSC

Edhoff

Just now, Edhoff said:

My TA doesn't do MSC, should I book direct on their web or find a TA that does MSC?

Strongly suggest the latter approach. 
On those rare occasions when we book directly with MSC (e.g. when there is only one cabin left in the category we are interested in) we always transfer to our TA anyway. The ease/difficulty of doing so is always hit or miss. 
Unless you enjoy subjecting yourself to death by a thousand cuts, I firmly believe it’s best to let a TA deal with MCS. 

• Like 2

I have always booked on-line without any problems. I like to research the date, ship and cabin choice ahead of time and then I go on-line and do my thing with booking. Also I have always received appropriate emails when making any payments on-line. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cellfree said:

I have always booked on-line without any problems. I like to research the date, ship and cabin choice ahead of time and then I go on-line and do my thing with booking. Also I have always received appropriate emails when making any payments on-line. 

Same here. The only time we had a gripe was when the pandemic was still going strong and they decided the cabin I'd booked would be reserved for COVID isolation and moved us to a different cabin. Still had a great time on the cruise. Another time I decided to spring for an upgrade from what I originally booked and the process to change my reservation was very easy and went well.

13 hours ago, Edhoff said:

My TA doesn't do MSC, should I book direct on their web or find a TA that does MSC?

Not sure why they wouldn't. We've cruised almost 20 years and always use a TA. Thank goodness we did before the shutdown, they were invaluable managing all the changes. If yours doesn't book MSC, find someone who does. I always find it interesting that some TA 'won't book certain cruise lines.'  Why would you NOT book a certain cruise line, different strokes for different folks. 

I am a first time MSC cruiser, typically Haven on NCL but with the prices these days we are giving the YC a chance with MSC. I researched the cruise we wanted the cabin we wanted and then called and spoke with a MSC agent. I have to say it went smooth as silk. I had just tier matched to MSC but wasn't showing up at the time, the agent still gave us the 5% discount for being Gold, and also the additional 5% for booking more then 9 months out. We booked an inside YC on the Seascape, we chose the inside because its our first MSC cruise and also couldn't beat the price ( $3200) for a 7 day cruise in the YC. NCL Balcony was going for $3700. 

If all goes well, with MSC may never go back to NCL Haven 

17 hours ago, cellfree said:

Same here.  We never had any issues with booking online in 2019 and the same for our cruise in September.  We never had to or wanted to make any changes to our reservation either.  Maybe it is easier to make changes with a TA?

I'm having an issue trying to transfer to an agent now. My online agency wasn't booking this particular sailing so I booked via MSC website. I filled out the form they require to transfer but it was rejected because "you didn't supply a proper phone number nor do you have the number that MSC assigned to the agency". Um....it's an online agency and I gave the only number I have 1-800-the number. I have replied to the agent that sent me the form but haven't heard back. I'll have to sit on the phone tonight to resolve I guess.

I prefer handling my own reservation, but have had great luck by booking my next cruise while onboard. The future-cruise agent on the ship is a great resource in helping me find exactly what I want. Once I'm home I go online and set up my account with the new booking and am able to handle everything such as payments, etc on my computer. Once I needed to make a change, so I just called the MSC number and the agent pulled up the reservation and applied the change.  Nothing bad happened!  

On 8/9/2023 at 4:39 PM, Edhoff said:

Yes find an agent!!!

Costs you nothing and could save a world of grief.

I have had a variety of things go wrong so only a TA for MSC.

• Like 1