Who can see onboard expense folios?

Mac3

First time with Princess. For an upcoming Alaska cruise, my mother-in-law used a travel agent to book us three cabins on Discovery -- one for my in-laws, one for my wife and daughter (15), and one for me and our son (17). Although my MIL (very generously!) paid for the cabins, we'll be paying for all of own our onboard expenses, excursions, etc.

We each have our own booking number, and my wife and I had no trouble getting our information into the Medallion app, except that we each had to use different credit card numbers for our shipboard payment method. I'm assuming we can straighten all that out at guest services once on board.

My question is -- since MIL booked all the cabins, will she be able to see what's in our onboard expense folios? Sorry, I know this isn't a relationship advice forum, but there is bound to be less drama if we can keep all that info to ourselves.

From another Grandmother who paid all expenses for an Alaska cruise.  If you did not input your own credit card info on the App for onboard expenses your can go down to Guest Services and have your card input.   We recently did this for our Alaska Discovery with no issues.   
Another suggestion, if appropriate, have Guest Services give access to all cabins in your party.

Enjoy your family trip.  Memories.

1 hour ago, Mac3 said:

First time with Princess. For an upcoming Alaska cruise, my mother-in-law used a travel agent to book us three cabins on Discovery -- one for my in-laws, one for my wife and daughter (15), and one for me and our son (17). Although my MIL (very generously!) paid for the cabins, we'll be paying for all of own our onboard expenses, excursions, etc.

We each have our own booking number, and my wife and I had no trouble getting our information into the Medallion app, except that we each had to use different credit card numbers for our shipboard payment method. I'm assuming we can straighten all that out at guest services once on board.

My question is -- since MIL booked all the cabins, will she be able to see what's in our onboard expense folios? Sorry, I know this isn't a relationship advice forum, but there is bound to be less drama if we can keep all that info to ourselves.

No.  I've booked & paid for cabins for family members.  Only they can see their own.

One thing I do when checking in (embarking) on ship.... we each present our Own

credit cards.  So theres no confusion for onboard expenses.

Edited by CalLuvsCrusingToo
  • Like 1

The owner of the credit card input into the Medallion app should be able to see all of the folios charged to that account.  Anyone else charged to that credit card should only be able to see their own folio in the app.  So no, your MIL will not see any other folios unless her credit card is in the Medallion app for other family members.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

No.  I've booked & paid for cabins for family members.  Only they can see their own.

One thing I do when checking in (embarking) on ship.... we each present our Own

credit cards.  So theres no confusion for onboard expenses.

That has been our experience also on 2 cruises (one in 2018 and one last month) where we booked and paid for 3 cabins.

13 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

The owner of the credit card input into the Medallion app should be able to see all of the folios charged to that account.  Anyone else charged to that credit card should only be able to see their own folio in the app.  So no, your MIL will not see any other folios unless her credit card is in the Medallion app for other family members.

Nope...sorry.  I have done this just recently (booked and paid for new cruiser family members.)  In this case I had to set up their Princess account "from scratch" (they did not even have Captain's Circle accounts.)  Once everything was booked and paid for on my credit card (as far as the cruise itself) the only way I could "see" into their account (to book excursions, etc.) was to log in using the credentials I used for their new Princess account.  

Using a credit credit as a "common point of identity" breaks so many privacy laws it would be hard to list them all.  Princess doesn't care what credit card is used for any account...as long as everything is paid for!

It is strange that you were not able to link your wife, son, daughter and yourself to a single credit card. This is very normal. If this is what you want then I would ask your T.A. to try to straighten this out. When accounts are linked there is a running statement that includes each person's on board expenses as they occur plus a summary statement. The owner of the credit card would be able to see all the statements on their phone or obtain a print out. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, skynight said:

It is strange that you were not able to link your wife, son, daughter and yourself to a single credit card. This is very normal. If this is what you want then I would ask your T.A. to try to straighten this out. When accounts are linked there is a running statement that includes each person's on board expenses as they occur plus a summary statement. The owner of the credit card would be able to see all the statements on their phone or obtain a print out. 

One would think that would be the case. YMMV. On our last cruise (one cabin), I set it up, my name was first, it was my credit card and yet, DH could see my account and his. However, I could only see my own.....sheesh... 🤷‍♀️

18 hours ago, Mac3 said:

my wife and I had no trouble getting our information into the Medallion app, except that we each had to use different credit card numbers for our shipboard payment method. I'm assuming we can straighten all that out at guest services once on board.

Not sure why you needed to set up different credit cards.

a) When setting up the first one, there should be an option to let others use the same card. If you picked that option and identified your spouse as the additional user, then you should not have been asked for a different card number for your spouse.

b) You can contact Princess via phone now and straighten this out. No need to wait until on board and wait on a line to do this.

19 hours ago, Mac3 said:

Only you once you provide your own credit card at guest services. 

22 hours ago, Mac3 said:

she will only see it if the expenses are paid on her credit card...I always have my whole group on mine so I can monitor them for charges we didn't make (this is important through out the cruise) so as soon as we board I go to customer service & have them use my card for both rooms in our group & only then can I see the charges...we also have them set the medallions to all open both cabin so that we can visit back & forth (you might want one of you or your wife to monitor the onboard charges every day or two so that you can catch any problems early)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Nope...sorry.  I have done this just recently (booked and paid for new cruiser family members.)  In this case I had to set up their Princess account "from scratch" (they did not even have Captain's Circle accounts.)  Once everything was booked and paid for on my credit card (as far as the cruise itself) the only way I could "see" into their account (to book excursions, etc.) was to log in using the credentials I used for their new Princess account.  

Using a credit credit as a "common point of identity" breaks so many privacy laws it would be hard to list them all.  Princess doesn't care what credit card is used for any account...as long as everything is paid for!

I was referencing what happens ON THE SHIP as the question from the OP was about folios.