Is this a cash grab?

Tidalmist

16 minutes ago, jelayne said:

The taxes and fees are being adjusted and tge difference is all over the ballpark based on the taxes and fees when you booked vs the new taxes and fees.  Our changed by a total of $31 and change.

It still doesn’t add up! At the time of booking, the tax pp charged by the Bahamas was included in the fare. The new increase is 5 dollars pp, how does this equate to 35 dollars pp?

45 minutes ago, Tidalmist said:

It still doesn’t add up! At the time of booking, the tax pp charged by the Bahamas was included in the fare. The new increase is 5 dollars pp, how does this equate to 35 dollars pp?

The taxes and fees when you book are an estimate,  unless shortly before sailing.  

Previously if the taxes and fees increased you were not charged the difference unless you repriced your cruise. When repricing then they taxes and fees were changed to the amount at the time of repricing.  

With the addition of the added Bahamas charge they are taking the new taxes and fees and charging for the difference between current and the estimated you cost when you booked.

From reports the change has been as little a $6 or highest I heard was $36.  The variance is because some booked when the estimated taxes were higher than others who maybe booked longer ago. 

Edited by jelayne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, jelayne said:

The taxes and fees when you book are an estimate, unless shortly before sailing.  Previously if the taxes and fees increased you were not charged the difference unless you repriced your cruise. When repricing then they taxes and fees were changed to the amount at the time of repricing.  
With the addition of the added Bahamas charge they are taking the new taxes and fees and charging for the difference between current and the estimated you cost when you booked.

From reports the change has been as little a $6 or highest I heard was $36.  The variance is because some booked when the estimated taxes were higher than others who maybe booked longer ago. 

Thanks for the info. Funny we normally sail with other cruise lines and this has never happened.

2 minutes ago, Tidalmist said:

Thanks for the info. Funny we normally sail with other cruise lines and this has never happened.

This is the first time it has happened in our 11 years with X.  When Bermuda added a $40 fee that was paid directly to Bermuda, just like counties who require a visa. 

Most of the time when folks reprice they don’t notice if the taxes and fees change, they are just excited to snag a price drop.  

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Tidalmist said:

tm - you mean that taxes and fees charged by foreign countries had changed and/or you were not charged the new fees OR you have never sailed when they did before you boarded?

I remember in 2021 when Bermuda raised its' fees and added a charge for C-19 approval, it was passed on to us and the C-19 fee we had to pay directly to the Government of Bermuda.

Additionally, I do not believe that there are any cruise lines who will bill and collect fees attributed to foreign governments assessments/changes and not pay them accordingly... a very BIG no no no, which would net them in whole sea of challenges... as such, not a money grab by X, they are only collecting to pay the piper, as it were.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

1 hour ago, Tidalmist said:

My ta advised that BAHAMAS is increasing its tax for cruise passengers in 2024. I asked how much and I was advised that X has told my ta 35 CAD pp. . Every report I read says 5 dollars USD pp. , is this a scam or or error?

It varies depending on where in the Bahamas you stop and how many Bahamian ports you stop at. In addition to increasing the current tax, they also added a $5 environmental tax, and a $2 tourism tax.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Most of the time when folks reprice they don’t notice if the taxes and fees change, they are just excited to snag a price drop.

I've never had the taxes/fees change on a price drop.

I wish they would be required to itemize these taxes/fees so you know what you are paying for.   Taxes are taxes but what are the fees.

Celebrity increased our bill more than $60 per person. So far Princess hasn't increased our bill for a cruise with them stopping in the Bahamas. Per my TA Royal Caribbean and Celebrity are the only cruise lines passing the added expense on to those already booked. 

2 hours ago, def0715 said:

How is one alerted? Is the extra charge just billed to original method of payment? I notice none of my Celebrity sailings go to the Bahamas but a Royal cruise in November does. Thanks.

We got a email from our TA with a revised invoice.