Cartagena

TMSA

Our Arvia Marseille stop for K318 has been replaced with Cartagena due to the Rugby World Cup. I was really looking forward to Marseille as I went on holiday there about 7 years ago and wanted to return. I haven't heard of Cartagena. Have we done well with the replacement, as I am presuming its not a regular P&O port, or have we been done over? 🙃

Love the place! I would be more than happy with this swap to be honest. We visited this port on our first PO cruise on Oceana and it stands out as one of those ports we weren't sure about but one that we enjoyed the most. Small port, close to the where the ship docks and lots to see. The amphitheatre is amazing and there are other sites to see. To us it is a port that you can enjoy just pottering around on your own. 

Museo del Teatro Romano de Cartagena

Cartagena Puerto de Culturas

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It’s a good replacement with lots to see and do.

We did a Segway tour the last time which included a visit to the underground tunnels used during the Spanish Civil war. Fascinating history.

There are Roman remains, submarines, good shops,  nice places to have a Sherry and people watch etc. 

You should have a fun day if you do a bit of forward planning.

• Like 4

So much better than Marseille - it’s a great swap 🙂 P&O go there quite often in my experience.

The Roman ruins and museum is just off the port and is really interesting and accessible (and not mega expensive) and the little streets are great. It’s a lovely port of you don’t want to travel far 😊

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Love Cartagena,  been there many times with different cruiselines,  last time was December last year and the weather was gorgeous. All the museums on the water front are free , the shopping area is flat and pedestrianised and best of all the ship docks right in front town. 

• Like 3

Thank you everyone. I am embarrassed by my lack of Geography knowledge and now wondering if i have never heard of it as I a) genuinely haven't seen it on an itinerary or b) my tired brain didn't acknowledge it because i didn't know it. 

Marseille was going to be for nostalgic reasons but seeing as I had a week there before, i feel like i covered it pretty well. Would have just been nice to revisit. It seems to come up on most of the itineraries i look at though so I am sure I will be back. I had also already done a few of the ports and again, they seem to come up all the time so it will be nice to try somewhere else. 

Thank you for the tips. I'm going with two children this time so this sounds easier and to be honest, I spent most of my time in Marseille very merry on amazing wine so it was always going to be different this time. I do love a small port you can potter around.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, TMSA said:

Thank you everyone. I am embarrassed by my lack of Geography knowledge and now wondering if i have never heard of it as I a) genuinely haven't seen it on an itinerary or b) my tired brain didn't acknowledge it because i didn't know it. 

Marseille was going to be for nostalgic reasons but seeing as I had a week there before, i feel like i covered it pretty well. Would have just been nice to revisit. It seems to come up on most of the itineraries i look at though so I am sure I will be back. I had also already done a few of the ports and again, they seem to come up all the time so it will be nice to try somewhere else. 

Thank you for the tips. I'm going with two children this time so this sounds easier and to be honest, I spent most of my time in Marseille very merry on amazing wine so it was always going to be different this time. I do love a small port you can potter around.

If it makes you feel better I had to look it up to check it was the same place that we visited --- and we were sober. My excuse is age ! Have a great time 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TMSA said:

My son loved the Roman ruins/amphitheater - and it’s so close and accessible for kids of all ages. They also have quite a few cool little ice cream parlours about that were a firm favourite. A bit further along there are a couple of little playgrounds which were popular.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Red Ray said:

Really hoping there aren't too many kids on this cruise - we booked it specifically because it's the week they should be going back to school!

I mean I only like my own. Most of the time 😉 They are preschool though so no fines this end. 

Sorry to buck the trend, and just my opinion of course but we much prefer Marseille over Cartagena.

Once into town from the shuttle, much more interesting walking around the harbour with literally hundreds of boats and sailing vessels, countless waterside bars, and our favourite is the little land train (9 euros) that takes you around part of the beautiful coastline, up and down steep narrow streets, and to the top of the hill where the Basilique Notre Dame is with spectacular views across the whole of Marseilles.

There’s no comparison in our opinion, sorry!

• Like 1

Cartagena is a lovely place and very clean. Apart from the amphitheatre there is a roman forum which was still being excavated the last time we were there. You can buy one ticket which will give you admittance to 3 places, the theatre, I think it was the forum and the castle.

If I remember rightly there is a McDonalds right in front of where you walk off the ship. Then you have a square and just over the road is the main area. There are lots of shops from Brand names to local shops. One of them being what I call the cow shop, which has a large cow standing at the door. This sells all sorts of things and can be good for gifts. It sells books and colouring pens, note books, to bags, hats, towels and lots more. There is one the same in Barcelona. 

There is a little shop which seems to be very popular which sells scarfs, bags and trinkets, this is not very far up from the theatre (thought you come out of there via a different door in the back street).

I would like to go and visit the naval museum which was on my to do the last time we went but we never made it.

1, (hopefully) is walking off the ship and McD would be just to the left of the photo. 

2, Sign for the roman forum

3, Inside the forum,

4, Main street.

5, A rich persons yacht (you should see the boat inside it), which I think docked near to naval museum.

20161004 (18).jpg

P1040450.JPG

P1040452.JPG

2017-13-06 (14).JPG

2017-13-06 (91).JPG

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, GSPG said:

Sorry to buck the trend, and just my opinion of course but we much prefer Marseille over Cartagena.

Once into town from the shuttle, much more interesting walking around the harbour with literally hundreds of boats and sailing vessels, countless waterside bars, and our favourite is the little land train (9 euros) that takes you around part of the beautiful coastline, up and down steep narrow streets, and to the top of the hill where the Basilique Notre Dame is with spectacular views across the whole of Marseilles.

There’s no comparison in our opinion, sorry!

I think anyone would prefer to go to the port they had actually booked and paid for, absolutely.

Most of the comments are addressing making lemonade with the lemons P&O have provided. Better than a sea day and a nice replacement if there is no choice about the change which there never is!

I like Marseilles but I don’t like the faffing with shuttles.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, emam said:

Cartagena is a lovely place and very clean. Apart from the amphitheatre there is a roman forum which was still being excavated the last time we were there. You can buy one ticket which will give you admittance to 3 places, the theatre, I think it was the forum and the castle.

If I remember rightly there is a McDonalds right in front of where you walk off the ship. Then you have a square and just over the road is the main area. There are lots of shops from Brand names to local shops. One of them being what I call the cow shop, which has a large cow standing at the door. This sells all sorts of things and can be good for gifts. It sells books and colouring pens, note books, to bags, hats, towels and lots more. There is one the same in Barcelona. 

There is a little shop which seems to be very popular which sells scarfs, bags and trinkets, this is not very far up from the theatre (thought you come out of there via a different door in the back street).

I would like to go and visit the naval museum which was on my to do the last time we went but we never made it.

1, (hopefully) is walking off the ship and McD would be just to the left of the photo. 

2, Sign for the roman forum

3, Inside the forum,

4, Main street.

5, A rich persons yacht (you should see the boat inside it), which I think docked near to naval museum.

20161004 (18).jpg

P1040450.JPG

P1040452.JPG

2017-13-06 (14).JPG

2017-13-06 (91).JPG

ALE-HOP 😀. They are everywhere in Spain

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I think anyone would prefer to go to the port they had actually booked and paid for, absolutely.

Most of the comments are addressing making lemonade with the lemons P&O have provided. Better than a sea day and a nice replacement if there is no choice about the change which there never is!

I don’t mind shuttles as I see these as an opportunity to see part of the country visited for a few pounds.

25 minutes ago, emam said:

2017-13-06 (91).JPG

Goes by the simple name of A.  Although UK flagged, reportedly owned by a Russian oligarch.  Probably explains why her last reported position was in the Maldives.

Saw her about eight years ago in Croatia.  We thought our charter yacht was quite fancy till we sailed around her.  They were prepared to launch a rhib or two from recesses in the hull.

45 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

We once booked a cruise with 2 days in Egypt. It was changed to an extra day in Israel and one in Ephesus.

It made my day and the changes were perfect. That was Celebrity by the way.

• Like 1