"All Passengers in Cabin Required to Buy Drink Package": Does this include kids in cabin?

sandpiper35

Greetings fellow cruisers, and a happy summer cruising season to you.

Clarification please: Friends are trying to book a Celebrity cruise but have hit a snag. They will be travelling with their two underaged children in the same cabin. Celebrity says if they get the drinks package for the adults, they must also buy the drinks package for the children in the cabin travelling with them. Is this correct? It seems odd to me that Celebrity would require minors to buy "drinks package" Please advise. I know more than one of you have come across this issue.

If they are trying to book an All Included fare (which likely is the most cost effective if both adults want the drink package), everyone in the cabin must have the same fare.

If they are trying to book a cruise only fare and add drink packages, my understanding is that only those of legal age must buy the package if one does.

Here's the wording from the FAQ:

Does everyone in one stateroom need to buy a drink package?

The Drink Package Policy requires all guests wishing to purchase a Drink Package to do so for ALL guests of legal drinking age in the same stateroom. This policy applies to packages purchased pre-cruise or onboard.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/faqs/beverage-packages

My comment is in regards to a cruise only booking where the drink package is applied after booking within the cruise planner.

Although I have not tested this myself, I don't think that the cruise planner system "forces" the user to purchase a non-alcoholic drink package for underage guests when selecting an alcoholic package for the adults in the same room. The policy states this is a requirement, but I don't think they've applied this requirement to cruise planner purchases. I don't have a booking I could use to test this.

Here's the policy from the FAQ that would apply towards this question:

My travel partner is pregnant/recovering alcoholic/medical issue that does not allow them to drink, do I have to purchase for them?

Our policy requires that any guest wishing to purchase the Drink Package must do so for all other guests of legal drinking age in the same stateroom. However, we will make an exception for the following:

Exceptions: 

• Children 12 years old and under: will NOT be required to purchase a Zero drink package.
  • Teens – A Zero Proof drink package will be added
    • 13 -17 years old (Europe, Asia, Australia)
    • 13 - 20 years old (USA)
  • Pregnant guests – A Zero Proof drink package will be added.
  • Recovering alcoholic or medical issue that does not allow guests to consume alcohol. – A Zero Proof drink package will be added.