Jump to content

Halifax


madera1
 Share

Recommended Posts

What do you want to do or see?

There is much of interest within walking distance of the terminal, if you have no big mobility issues. The boardwalk, on level ground, along the waterfront, connects with harbor views, several good museums, eateries.  If you can walk uphill, there is the Citadel, botanical gardens.

I'm sorry I can't answer your question directly, as we have walked on our own every time we've cruised there, and found plenty to do.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

What do you want to do or see?

There is much of interest within walking distance of the terminal, if you have no big mobility issues. The boardwalk, on level ground, along the waterfront, connects with harbor views, several good museums, eateries.  If you can walk uphill, there is the Citadel, botanical gardens.

I'm sorry I can't answer your question directly, as we have walked on our own every time we've cruised there, and found plenty to do.

We were in Halifax 11 years ago and did exactly as you.  Walked everywhere. I know we went to the citadel and immigration museum I was searching for something new with a guide. Most likely we will end up exploring on our own once again. Thank you anyway for responding.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/21/2023 at 7:34 PM, happygirlbythec said:

If anyone is renting a car to go whale watching and wants to take a passenger I am happy to pitch in for the cost of rental and gas. The ship tour is sold out and I would love to go!


You really need to post the above in the Roll Call for your cruise. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Turtles06 said:


You really need to post the above in the Roll Call for your cruise. 

Please post your ship and sailing date.  Also check to see if there is a roll call as this is the best way to find others who may want to share a tour. Lots to do in Halifax listed above. Great port call!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

We were in Halifax on September the 10th and there were several tour operators in the cruise terminal as well as just outside.  The biggest was a HOHO operator.  

I can highly recommend Tay Mac Tours: we took their Historic Halifax walking tour which was very reasonably priced and included the sights the posters above have mentioned.

https://www.taymactours.com/historic-halifax-by-foot

We stepped off our cruise ship and immediately located our meeting point and our guide, Glenn.  We had a small group of only 6 and began our leisurely stroll through town.  Glenn provided lots of great historical information but at a pace that wasn't overwhelming.  The route to and from the Citadel (entrance is not included in this tour) was good and probably not one we would have selected just looking at the map.   After the tour we had a nice seafood lunch at McKelvie's, some great ice cream at Cow's along the boardwalk, and enjoyed beers at Garrison's which is within sight of the cruise pier.  Yum!  Loved our visit and hope to return to Halifax one day. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We did take the HOHO bus tour in Halifax, May 29, and for us, it was a great choice.  Not knowing how much walking my DH would be able to do, this option allowed us to "see" with narration the various sites/sights.  And this Grayline bus was only $60pp, less than the ship-offered shore excursion.  Two Must Sees are the Fairview Cemetery (Titanic pax gravesites) and the Maritime Museum, which was awe-inspiring for its presentation on the great explosion disaster of 1917.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/18/2023 at 2:27 PM, smithley said:

We were in Halifax on September the 10th and there were several tour operators in the cruise terminal as well as just outside.  The biggest was a HOHO operator.  

I can highly recommend Tay Mac Tours: we took their Historic Halifax walking tour which was very reasonably priced and included the sights the posters above have mentioned.

https://www.taymactours.com/historic-halifax-by-foot

We stepped off our cruise ship and immediately located our meeting point and our guide, Glenn.  We had a small group of only 6 and began our leisurely stroll through town.  Glenn provided lots of great historical information but at a pace that wasn't overwhelming.  The route to and from the Citadel (entrance is not included in this tour) was good and probably not one we would have selected just looking at the map.   After the tour we had a nice seafood lunch at McKelvie's, some great ice cream at Cow's along the boardwalk, and enjoyed beers at Garrison's which is within sight of the cruise pier.  Yum!  Loved our visit and hope to return to Halifax one day. 

We did the Tay Mac walking tour about a week later than you... I agree, it was a great tour.   Then spent a couple hours on the boardwalk and it makes a full but not overwhelming day....

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Set Sail Beyond the Ordinary with Oceania Cruises
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: The Widest View in the Whole Wide World
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Cruise Critic News & Features
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...