Continuing Review of Our First Time Azamara Experience Aboard the “Onward” TA, Lisbon to FLL Nov 18-30, 2023

Traveling Fools

On 12/13/2023 at 1:36 PM, Texter2 said:

Traveling Fools, we were on this trip with you and look forward to your continued review. It is so much fun to relive the trip through someone else’s eyes. It was our first Azamara voyage and we enjoyed it very much. 

Hi Texter,

I didn't realize how far behind the power curve this extended trip put me.  Just catching up on things and then decorating the house and yard has sapped me....but I think I am finally catching up.

• Like 1

Thursday, November 9th

Casablanca

Awoke and ordered breakfast.  Unlike last night’s great meal, both of our omelets were dry.  The coffee was good.

Would we fly Air Moroc again?  The answer is Yes.

We landed on time and quickly taxied to our parking spot (no gate, no jet way).  Exited via stairs onto a waiting van and were whisked to the International Arrivals Terminal.  Clearing Immigration and Customs was a breeze and took less than 10 minutes.

The company rep for our Moroccan tours was waiting for us in the reception area.  There were 6 couples in the tour group, two of them had arrived the day before.  The other four of us were all on the same flight and as soon as we had cleared arrival formalities, we boarded the bus and headed to the hotel to check in and drop off our bags.

En route to the hotel, Mustapha (his spelling), our guide while in Morocco, suggested we freshen up and offered to take us on an unscheduled orientation tour of Casablanca.

Our hotel, the Hyatt regency Casablanca, seemed to be in mid-town Casablanca.  Entry and exit were regulated by hotel security personnel who operated tall gates into and out of the property.  The hotel and facilities were in excellent condition and the rooms spacious. Our room looked out over the front.

image.thumb.jpeg.79a2cee8c1609308d292d5f6e7d9063c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6d0649654059c71fcf1baa3b792fea18.jpeg

After getting settled in, we headed out for our “orientation” tour.  The tour actually took about 3 hours.  We drove by the Hassan II Mosque and had a photo op across the bay from it.  Tomorrow we will go inside for a tour.

image.thumb.jpeg.c17980644aed67316cdde10e53795231.jpeg

The remainder of the tour took us by the old walled part of the city and the grand souk. We stopped at Casablanca’s Catholic church and spent some time inside it.

image.thumb.jpeg.8bb075be7b9a68d98dacb8ba1bf54518.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9c75b5a9a8b9d6be88889f82fad39c68.jpeg

CC-3.thumb.jpg.50b3b9c507998dd36d0ebdd9d8c61a4b.jpg

image.jpeg.67a2d1998fe159d9f9af113f9d8d5e1b.jpeg

In addition to the Catholic Church, we also passed by a Synagogue. Our guide told us that people in Morocco are very tolerant of other religions.

We made a couple of other stops and walked around getting a feel for the city. We visited the city’s coastline and saw some surfers out doing their thing.

image.thumb.jpeg.89f6e977d7b8d1a6a054c916e46f4b2f.jpeg

In general Casablanca is a vibrant, modern city.  I don’t know if overcast skies influenced me, but the city at times seemed dark and somewhat dirty.

Covid really hurt Morocco’s tourist industry and may of Casablanca’s beachside restaurants, resorts, stores were in the process of reopening.

image.thumb.jpeg.4ec630ac431bf6517c0dc74bf3a288ce.jpeg

Before returning to the hotel, three of us couples bought some tasty nougat from a street vendor our guide seemed to know.

We returned to the hotel and had enough time to wash up before we headed out to our welcome dinner. Our group had our own alcove in the busy restaurant and were served a variety of Moroccan food and some very good Moroccan wine.  Towards the end of our meal, the belly dancers started their show and ended up in our alcove prompting (after some encouragement) one of the guys in our group to join in with the dancer.

image.thumb.jpeg.097b02dba37865fe2045ccda25611220.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b98e189281cd75633db6a3a2edde1200.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2b4d7cb7a0f0903d1dbdd5a92edd9636.jpeg

After dinner, we returned to the hotel for some much-needed sleep.

image.jpeg

Catholic Church-6.jpg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Traveling Fools
  • Like 1

Friday, November 10th

Casablanca and Rabat

Woke up to find DW had been up most of the night with bowel problems.  Unfortunately, my traveling supply of Imodium had been used up, so she opted to stay at the hotel and forgo the day’s activities in Casablanca and Morocco’s capital Rabat.  One of our traveling companions had some Imodium that she shared with us, but DW thought it would be best if she stayed behind.

The hotel’s breakfast buffet was excellent.  I took some tea and coffee up to DW to sip on through the morning. 

The timing for our visit to the Hassan II Mosque today was governed by morning prayer times.  This mosque is the third largest mosque in the world.  It sits on the coastline and was built on reclaimed bay land.  It is impressively large but other than being on the coast, I found it didn’t have the character so many other mosques I have visited have.

image.thumb.jpeg.883de43248526610982c9c26b33b6949.jpeg

From the mosque, we drove out of Casablanca towards the capital Rabat.  It took us close to an hour to reach Rabat.  We were all impressed with how modern and clean it was.  In Rabat, we first visited the Mohamad V Mausoleum and medieval Hassan Tower.  It was an impressive stop with members of the Royal Guard manning different posts all wearing period era uniforms.

Our next stop was lunch at a seafood restaurant on the river in a very modern marina.  The Bently SUV in the parking lot told us all we needed to know about who dinned there. That said, none of us who ordered it were very keen on the fish option.

Following lunch, we were off to the old walled, fortified town of Kasbah Oudaya from which grew into the city now known as Rabat.  The walled town is also home of the 17th century royal residence and its beautiful gardens. Inside the walls it was very clean, quiet, and peaceful.  There were a couple of shops near the exit, lots of cats, and some beautiful passageways lined with what must have been elegant apartments.

From the old walled fortress, we drove downtown to visit the museum of Moroccan Contemporary Art.  Our last stop in Rabat was the grounds of the Royal Palace.  Because it was the Muslim day of worship, there wasn’t much going on inside the grounds and we were limited to how close we could get to the entry of the Royal Palace itself.  None of us were able to take any photographs of value, so in certain respects it was a wasted stop.

From Rabat we returned to Casablanca.  I slept most of the way back and have no clue what was seen or talked about.

Dinner was on our own and DW and I had made reservations at Rick’s Café.  We arrived there at 9 and only two tables were occupied.  Late dinners are the rule in Morocco and the locals didn’t start filtering in until after 10. As were finishing our meal, the locals were beginning to arrive.  For dinner, we both ordered cocktails, the Prawn Salad, Lamb Chops, a special desert, and a bottle of dry white Moroccan wine.  The food was very good and well presented.  The wine was excellent.  Considering the number of guests being served, the service was painfully slow.  There was some activity in the upstairs bar and the people we saw coming to either leave or use the facilities were dressed like slobs and failed to meet the touted dress code. 

Because it was the Muslim holy day, we were told the piano player had the night off.  Instead, there were two guitarists who started playing about the time we were ready to leave. We both agreed it was worth the experience but would recommend to anyone considering visiting Rick’s Café to go there for lunch or just to grab a cocktail or beer.

Saturday, November 11th

Casablanca to Marrakech

The logistics of moving our luggage from individual rooms to our comfortable van was well organized and after breakfast we loaded up and left for Marrakech. 

Although bowel issues kept DW up for part of the night, she felt good enough to have some breakfast.  Traveling to Marrakech wasn’t an option.  We all had to make the trip.  After breakfast, we went back to our room to gather our things and brush our teeth. While in the room, I suddenly felt flushed and made it to the toilet in time to upchuck. I didn’t lose breakfast and what came up was very acidic, leading me to think it was caused by too much morning coffee.  DW was still experiencing bowel issues.

Our van got a late start because another member of the group had also experienced some stomach distress and was slow getting to the van.  He wanted the back row in case he needed to lay down.  Turned out he wasn’t as bad off as he thought he would be.

The drive was problem free and the countryside interesting.  We passed by rich farmland, olive orchards and arid, high desert landscape.  En route we stopped at a clean and well stocked service plaza.  Ironically it had a Mexican theme.

image.thumb.jpeg.591eea1906413a02c60ddd462470f59a.jpeg

We all found Marrakech to be clean, vibrant, and beautiful.  We arrived ahead of schedule and looked for a place to have lunch.  We couldn’t find one that accepted credit cards, so we decided to go to the hotel early, have lunch there, and then continue the day’s activities after checking in.  Our hotel was the Sofitel-Marrakech.  It is a 5-star hotel and beautiful property!  The only thing we all had in common was they assigned us rooms in the wing furthest from the lobby.  It was a hike to reach them, and there weren’t any shortcuts to reach them.

image.gif.b1ad7317e83daeb6afd4aa5403fff7fb.gif

image.thumb.gif.1856aee2f885a67535f95841748b58c0.gif

image.thumb.gif.c4c6eca79c4fd9efa66d763f50cd34d0.gif

After checking in and tidying up, we headed out on our afternoon adventure.   This afternoon’s journey took us to the city’s “hidden side”.  This translated into an immersive journey into Marrakech’s artisan quarters located within its very active and busy souk.  The pathways were shadowy and crowded with people walking in both directions often making way for passing motorcycles. The 12 of us in our group often got strung out.  About 45 minutes into the back alleys of the souk, our travel companion who felt sick before we left Casablanca became nauseous and couldn’t continue.  He and his wife were transported back to the hotel in a tuk-tuk.  One other traveling companion and I wanted to return too, but we were told the tuk-tuk could only transport two people.  Once we resumed our trek, I only made it about 50 meters before I had to find a place next to the wall to throw up.  Thankfully, DW had a package of wet wipes in her bag.  We didn’t get much further when our other traveling companion also got sick.  While for me it was a one and done experience, David continued to be ill through the remaining part of the afternoon.  We determined later the common denominator was the nougat we all three bought the afternoon of our arrival in Morocco.

That evening dinner was a “1001 Nights” dinner show featuring Moroccan food and entertainers. DW went and thoroughly enjoyed herself.  I was wiped out and tired and remained at the hotel where I slept soundly and deeply.

OutputPainterly.thumb.jpg.1fe5bef1d6be0a86cb211d52e25c8e40.jpg

Thanks for pointing out another benefit of cruising versus land tours:  eating and drinking on the ship is safe!  And DW's penchant for making sandwiches at breakfast to bring on the bus tour – while perhaps illegal – is doubly safe!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Traveling Fools said:

Saturday, November 11th

Casablanca to Marrakech

The logistics of moving our luggage from individual rooms to our comfortable van was well organized and after breakfast we loaded up and left for Marrakech. 

Although bowel issues kept DW up for part of the night, she felt good enough to have some breakfast.  Traveling to Marrakech wasn’t an option.  We all had to make the trip.  After breakfast, we went back to our room to gather our things and brush our teeth. While in the room, I suddenly felt flushed and made it to the toilet in time to upchuck. I didn’t lose breakfast and what came up was very acidic, leading me to think it was caused by too much morning coffee.  DW was still experiencing bowel issues.

Our van got a late start because another member of the group had also experienced some stomach distress and was slow getting to the van.  He wanted the back row in case he needed to lay down.  Turned out he wasn’t as bad off as he thought he would be.

The drive was problem free and the countryside interesting.  We passed by rich farmland, olive orchards and arid, high desert landscape.  En route we stopped at a clean and well stocked service plaza.  Ironically it had a Mexican theme.

image.thumb.jpeg.591eea1906413a02c60ddd462470f59a.jpeg

We all found Marrakech to be clean, vibrant, and beautiful.  We arrived ahead of schedule and looked for a place to have lunch.  We couldn’t find one that accepted credit cards, so we decided to go to the hotel early, have lunch there, and then continue the day’s activities after checking in.  Our hotel was the Sofitel-Marrakech.  It is a 5-star hotel and beautiful property!  The only thing we all had in common was they assigned us rooms in the wing furthest from the lobby.  It was a hike to reach them, and there weren’t any shortcuts to reach them.

image.gif.b1ad7317e83daeb6afd4aa5403fff7fb.gif

image.thumb.gif.1856aee2f885a67535f95841748b58c0.gif

image.thumb.gif.c4c6eca79c4fd9efa66d763f50cd34d0.gif

After checking in and tidying up, we headed out on our afternoon adventure.   This afternoon’s journey took us to the city’s “hidden side”.  This translated into an immersive journey into Marrakech’s artisan quarters located within its very active and busy souk.  The pathways were shadowy and crowded with people walking in both directions often making way for passing motorcycles. The 12 of us in our group often got strung out.  About 45 minutes into the back alleys of the souk, our travel companion who felt sick before we left Casablanca became nauseous and couldn’t continue.  He and his wife were transported back to the hotel in a tuk-tuk.  One other traveling companion and I wanted to return too, but we were told the tuk-tuk could only transport two people.  Once we resumed our trek, I only made it about 50 meters before I had to find a place next to the wall to throw up.  Thankfully, DW had a package of wet wipes in her bag.  We didn’t get much further when our other traveling companion also got sick.  While for me it was a one and done experience, David continued to be ill through the remaining part of the afternoon.  We determined later the common denominator was the nougat we all three bought the afternoon of our arrival in Morocco.

That evening dinner was a “1001 Nights” dinner show featuring Moroccan food and entertainers. DW went and thoroughly enjoyed herself.  I was wiped out and tired and remained at the hotel where I slept soundly and deeply.

OutputPainterly.thumb.jpg.1fe5bef1d6be0a86cb211d52e25c8e40.jpg

Great to hear about your land trip. So sorry to hear about your food poisoning. 

17 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Thanks for pointing out another benefit of cruising versus land tours:  eating and drinking on the ship is safe!  And DW's penchant for making sandwiches at breakfast to bring on the bus tour – while perhaps illegal – is doubly safe!!!

4 hours ago, Texter2 said:

Great to hear about your land trip. So sorry to hear about your food poisoning. 

Food/Candy from a Street Vendor...should have know better!  The food we had in restaurants on the land journey was good to great and never gave anyone in the group any problems.

Sunday, November 12th

Marrakech

The hotel’s breakfast buffet was superb.

We left the hotel at 9 for a cooking class at the La Maison Arabe.  Once there we didn’t burn any unnecessary sunlight; class started immediately.  Each of us in our group manned our own cooking station. Guided by seasoned instructors, we received step by step, hands on guidance on how to prepare the entire meal.  We each prepared an individual chicken meal that was cooked in a Moroccan Tajine. The food didn’t go to waste as it was what we ate for lunch. 

image.thumb.gif.49b68ad0924cc590f7c831464df1860f.gif

image.thumb.jpeg.04cdf07c6be4b0cc1636ab07bfeff776.jpeg

MarrakeshCookingSchoolMeal-2-GIF.thumb.gif.3bf6a2713a8b339f5ca8bbd2bd522971.gif

In addition to receiving a certificate of accomplishment, we each were awarded our individual tajine to take home.  It was both fun and a true learning experience. 

image.thumb.gif.d132497f4d2fb2894a59792eb350c8d5.gif

After lunch we returned to the hotel where DW and another couple decided to stay and chill while the rest of us set out on our afternoon excursion. 

We left the hotel in horse drawn carriages and were transported to the Majorelle Garden created by Jacques Majorelle and which is adjacent to the former house of Yves Saint Laurent.  The house is now a museum. 

image.thumb.gif.1c3740e60ba37dc2d9a21e0ecc12d31e.gif

Once done there we rode back to the souk where we spent the remaining half the afternoon backtracking through its dark and crowded alleys and byways.  One of our stops was the Le Jardin Secret, a hidden gem located in the middle of the souk.

It turned into a very exhausting afternoon.

Once we returned to the hotel, we had enough time to clean up and take a nap before meeting again for an unscheduled group dinner.  It was a long, tiring day and sleep was fast to come.

Marrakesh Cooking School Meal.jpg

Edited by Traveling Fools
  • Like 3

On 12/18/2023 at 6:38 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Unacceptable advice unless you have checked local laws. The sniffer dogs in NZ will result in all kinds of issues if you take any food off the ship.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Catchum said:

Unacceptable advice unless you have checked local laws. The sniffer dogs in NZ will result in all kinds of issues if you take any food off the ship.

I'd have to agree with you. Of course, you personally are free to do anything you want with any consequences, but do not publicise it on here as it might get folks in trouble on their cruise.  

Phil 

• Like 1

I think given the focus of these boards the majority of people would take the context as a reference to removing items from breakfast whilst cruising. You did not make it clear your wife’s actions were limited to land based holidays (well I hope they are, even then in some cultures that action would be viewed as disrespectful. 

On 12/18/2023 at 9:38 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

No advise given

On 12/21/2023 at 12:03 AM, Catchum said:

One of the places I haven't been to is New Zealand, but I am very familiar with Customs operations.  Before the ship even arrives at a Port of Call, Customs authorities know who is on board and the names of all those aboard have been run through their databases.  This helps them narrow down who on board might require further scrutiny.  Once the ship has been cleared, the bulk of Customs authorities meeting the ship will have left to perform other duties.

The goat rope and rush of hundreds of passengers disembarking a cruise ship for their individual shore excursions makes individual inspection of those passengers unrealistic and for all intensive purposes impossible.  It also impedes the use of K9s.  The K9s will be used at the end of the cruise to sniff the luggage that has been unloaded and organized for retrieval by passengers after they have been cleared to disembark.

8 hours ago, uktog said:

I think given the focus of these boards the majority of people would take the context as a reference to removing items from breakfast whilst cruising. You did not make it clear your wife’s actions were limited to land based holidays (well I hope they are, even then in some cultures that action would be viewed as disrespectful. 

Having actually spent a great deal of time in Europe and a modest amount of time in the UK, I have witnessed locals and tourists packing loafs of bread, cold cuts and cheeses, different beverages including wine and picnicking.  It is a common thing to do and unless they are consuming in a restaurant or inside an museum or other similar attraction, I am doubtful anyone would find it disrespectful.

Regarding context, I am pretty sure the sandwiches packed by @Host Jazzbeau DW is intended to be consumed on the excursion's bus.  In which case other passengers would probably think, "Gee, I wish I had done that."

We all are adults; know the rules and consequences for breaking them.  In this case if confronted by Customs they likely be told to dispose of it in the  nearby trash can.

• Thanks 1

You are not entirely correct about New Zealand. Each cruise ship guest individually has to pass a barrier before entering the terminal in each port that has a dog handler and all their bags being taken off that day has to be put down so the dog can check. Bad news if the dog sits down. 

Whether it’s allowed in a country or not personally I’d be very unhappy if other guests start opening picnics on a small tour I was on. 

There are several Far East countries where taking food out/onto trips would be considered disrespectful. In the UK we typically roll our eyes at people removing items from breakfast buffets for later. It’s suggests someone is too mean to buy lunch. 

• Like 4

Monday, November 13th

Marrakech and the Atlas Mountains

After breakfast, we boarded our chariot and drove to the Atlas Mountains for the day.

Our first stop was to visit and walk through a local rural district’s Monday Market.  This was the real deal and no contrived tourist attraction.  A little bit of everything was up for sale, both goods and services. Meat, fish, poultry, a variety of fruits and vegetables, cleaning products, new and used clothing and shoes (some very used), cargo baskets for donkeys, barbers, dentists, etc.  Some of the goods were laid on tarps on the ground and others on elevated platforms.  It was a bustling market.  We were all glad we didn’t spend much time there.

image.gif.655e886d48e8344c9e7bb4fa30b2bf24.gif

image.gif.3d46661e10631f0e2f5d2d582b6a03b9.gif

image.gif.c998e97b8beac37aed4cded453b544bc.gif

image.thumb.gif.e151b00971b1833722f92606d8827e0b.gif

image.thumb.gif.3da11408215847658b15b5eba33ee5ea.gif

The next stop was a small village called Tasga, or in the vicinity of Tasga.  Once off the main road we were immediately on a dirt road and remained on it until we left the village and returned to the main road. 

Because the village did not have a suitable road system, we left our van 100 to 200 yards from the village.  We met the mayor of the village, a relatively young man, who led us on a walking tour of the village. It consisted of some very old structures and some newer ones. Many of the village men were in the process of cleaning out manure from what I considered primitive, unfenced stables or corrals. Instead of fencing, villagers used thorny bush branches rung around natural depressions or indentures in the land.

The village had electricity and water.  The electricity was overhead.  Grey water was either captured for further use or left to run off through the village streets.  There wasn’t a lot of grey water run-off while we were there, and I doubt there is much at any given time.  The village, and to some extent the villagers, are in a time warp.  A slow metamorphous from old to new.  The villagers and their children seemed content embracing a simple, unsophisticated infrastructure and way of life; yet acceptable to the unavoidable changes 21st century modernization brings.

image.thumb.gif.808801cbb46ffb055713be50aed75084.gif

image.thumb.gif.0ea630cd3806e0f9c7f74a1c76e2a918.gif

BerberVillage-10GIF.thumb.gif.68621205b43aae761bc5baf4853ba29e.gif

BerberVillage12GIF.thumb.gif.63561fd6d626241be22ae880f5cc3f62.gif

image.thumb.gif.21eb5464d6fa02477af426634858c8e1.gif

image.thumb.gif.3ed2238c7fd1517a0f311bc4629d7dc1.gif

Following the walk through of the village, we went to the mayor’s house where we met his wife and mother.  The house consisted of the entry where a plumbed sink was.  On one side of the entry was a multi-purpose room used for dining, a family room, or for sleeping quarters.  On the other side of the entry was a narrow kitchen.  Behind the front area, was a large open, earthen floor atrium.  The atrium was connected to the front and back of the house by an 8 foot or higher wall.  On the backside of the atrium were two small bedrooms and a water closet containing a recently installed western, flushing toilet. Our group concluded the western style toilet was a stipulation in the contract between the tour company and the village.  Because there were so many curious children in and out of the house, we never could figure out the actual size of the family occupying the house.  Several ladies in our group taught the kids the “Itsy Bitty Spider” song and hand gestures. And, introduced them to the rock, scissor, paper game.

image.gif.d92ddc0d6cc84bd2886485b5f0aba9c5.gif

image.gif.f90dade9a6919daaea2b7fbabccbb87d.gif

After getting seated in the atrium, we enjoyed a Moroccan tea making experience.  I was surprised to learn the family goes through about a kilo of sugar a day for tea, cooking, and baking.  The sugar comes in a conical shape and large parts are broken off as needed.  It was very interesting to learn the steps they go through to make the tea less bitter to drink, including how they use a long pour to aerate the tea.

image.gif.0c4e4f04e3165955fe45b23925aad9d1.gif

image.thumb.jpeg.c9ac56494f49b62efd3d57c594da4b1a.jpeg

image.thumb.gif.b0b108499b470072fe539254d0c222d8.gif

After enjoying some tea, the mayor’s wife solicited some help from some of the ladies in our group to help her make some bread from scratch.  While the bread was rising, a chicken tagine lunch was put on the burners to cook.  Once everything was baked or cooked, we were seated in the “dinning room” and enjoyed a great lunch!

image.gif.bd3dc2814515341da0b620db179161f0.gif

image.thumb.gif.03e9eebe64b9d88dd274faf466937dc1.gif

image.thumb.jpeg.13ea130c250d65e286fbf03bd2531359.jpeg

image.gif.99db4e1f5b8085dc9bf9d15b20f3da7a.gif

image.gif.cd3892f19487c86778dad995b9d6ae51.gif

image.thumb.jpeg.c617531c91f8d5ffc939d78be0ce8c31.jpeg

After lunch, we started a walk through the village to return to our vehicle.  On the way we met a group of children who just got out of school and encountered another group of kids on the way to their school session.  Several of the children expressed their disappointment that we didn’t bring any paper or pencils with us for their school.  This is something our guides could have given us a heads when we arrived in Marrakech and we could have collectively bought some school supplies.  I must note that we were asked not to give money, treats, or gifts to the children as the village elders did not want to transform them into a mob of kids with their hands out every time foreign visitors passed through their village.  The same was asked of us regarding tipping our hosts.

Except for heavy afternoon traffic, the drive back to Marrakech was uneventful.  We arrived back at the hotel with time to rest and freshen up before meeting for our final dinner.

For dinner we returned to Marrakesh’s bazar and the Restaurant Dar Mola.  Once you enter the restaurant you leave the hustle bustle and dirty streets of the bazar behind.  Musicians greet you as you are escorted to your table. Our table was located right next to a beautifully tiled pool that was crystal clear.  The meal was excellent and DW and I discovered a salt and pepper holder that we would buy several of the next day for souvenirs for our daughter and neighbors.

image.gif.1df462c1fdb5a2980bb1fc0ab72541aa.gif

image.gif.d25dfb635d904a850dd7bec530946cbc.gif

This was our last night in Morocco and after dinner we returned to our hotel to pack and call it a night.

image.gif.e6a008d353c20fb3247d765d3c97b2ff.gif

image.jpeg

Berber Monday Morning Market-3GIF.gif

Berber Monday Morning Market-2.jpg

image.gif

• Like 2

Tuesday, November 14th

Marrakech to Lisbon

Nothing was planned for the group this morning, but Mustapha took us for a brief drive through the city.  After returning to the hotel, he and I returned to a government store in the souk where I was able to shop for souvenirs to take home to family and friends.  The shop was clean and loaded with all kinds of stuff ranging from pricy antiques to inexpensive tee shirts.  I had a good idea of what I wanted and vectored in on those items.  Two daggers like the one shown below (one for our 11-year-old grandson and one for me), a nifty leather purse and 3-bracelets for our 14-year-old granddaughter, an Aladdin's lamp for DW to add to our bookcase, and 3-salt and pepper holders like the one above.  I was rather proud of myself for not exercising self-control and not spending a bundle on some of the antiques that caught my eye.  It saved me from a lot of grief from DW; know what I mean Vern!?!

image.thumb.gif.0cbf7af0c5bfb4cfe4f78e578c9243d8.gif

image.thumb.gif.705d523e8addd24ab0d05c6c3550a9bf.gif

image.thumb.gif.6d319d3fae1a1f26abe52e3998e3b4b8.gif

image.gif.34ae7c6086c4f2e5913711f45903bf2a.gif

Now just a quick review of our Moroccan adventure.  From the time we were met at the airport at Casablanca until we were delivered to the airport at Marrakesh, EVERYTHING was well planned, organized, and executed.  Mustapha was an excellent guide!  The included meals were super good.  And the hotels were both 5 stars!  The whole group agreed the cooking class and trip to the Berber village were the highlights of our time in Morocco. 

The only critique the group had was the intensity of the itinerary.  Mustapha was bound by contract to ensure we went everywhere and did everything listed in the itinerary.  He was not permitted to deviate from it even if we all asked him to.  Except for a short break in the evening before we went to dinner, we were on the go from the time we boarded the van in the morning until we finally returned to the hotel at 10:00 P.M. or later.  We all wished more free time had been allotted for personal time so that we could have relaxed and enjoyed the amenities of the hotels.  Would DW and I book a similar excursion again, yes.

By the way, when I reference our ride a being a van it really was a small transport similar in size to what you see shuttling people from hotels and parking lots to airports.  They could comfortably seat the 12 of us and our luggage, with room for about 2-more people.

At about 1PM we met at the van, our luggage was loaded and we were off to the nearby airport.  Check-in was easy, as was passing through security.  Our 4:45 P.M. TAP flight to Lisbon was on time and it gave the group a little over two hours to rest.

On arrival in Lisbon at 5:45 P.M., we were met by a young lady representative of the tour company.  After boarding a full-size bus, we drove to our hotel in the heart of Lisbon.  It soon became very clear the young lady didn’t have a clue about the historical buildings and statutes we were passing.  I think all of us were deeply worried about the quality of our Lisbon experience.  It was about 6:30 when before reached our hotel. The young lady informed us our guide would meet us in the lobby at 7:30 P.M. to escort us to our scheduled dinner and FADO singers’ show.  Our hotel was a boutique type hotel, with minimal on-duty staff.  That translates into schlepping our own luggage from the street, into the lobby, and up to our rooms. 

The lobby was small, functional, and home of the hotel’s likewise small bar.  Our rooms were spacious, modern, and clean.  I don’t think any in our group had a view other than the large square atrium shaft the building was built around.

The hotel was bordered by shops, eateries, and an Aldi store on the lower level.  One of the shops was a high-end Gucci Store.  In fact, the main boulevard in front of the hotel was home to many high-end stores.  I know several of us in our group frequented Aldi to buy wine, snacks, and necessities.

True to her word, our permanent guide Tiago met us in the lobby promptly at 7:30.  After counting heads and introducing himself, he escorted us to our van and we were off to dinner and a show.

The venue for dinner and the show was in brick, cellar style building near the river’s waterfront and probably once served as a warehouse or port/wine cellar.  There were 4 or 5 lines of tables and chairs perpendicular to the performance area.  A simple dinner consisting of wine, crudities, slated cod, and a dessert was served before and during the show.  It was the cozy type of place where every employee does a little of everything from cooking to serving to entertaining.  The show was OK, but none of us understood Portuguese, we were all tired, and truth be told would have preferred a quick, light dinner and down time.  Once again, it was 11 o’clock before we returned to the hotel.  I grabbed a double Macallan from the bar and headed off to our room to join DW for a nightcap before calling it a day.

• Like 1

Wednesday, November 15th

Lisbon

Breakfast in the hotel restaurant was great.  Eggs to order, a great coffee machine, fruit and juice, pastries, and even Pastel del Belum pastries!

We met at 10 o’clock this morning, an hour later than usual.  We were pick up out front of the hotel by 3, 4-person Tuk Tuks for a tour of the city.  The driver was a fantastic guide and immediately filled us in about the history of Lisbon.

On Nov 1, 1775, Lisbon was destroyed by a catastrophic earthquake followed by three tsunamis, and devastating fires caused by overturned candles lit by city dwellers observing All Saint’s Day.  I think most in our group had forgotten, or were unaware that until April 1974, Portugal had suffered forty years of dictatorship.  The significance of these two events is the Monumento de Evocacao ao 25 de Abril. The monument is located near the top of Avenue of Liberty at the northwest end of Miradouro Parque Eduardo VII and overlooks the statue honoring the Marquis of Pombalall (credited for rebuilding Lisbon following its destruction in 1775) and provides a view of the Avenue of Liberty all the way to the Tagus River.  Our guide informed us the monument symbolizes the rebuilding of both the country following the Carnation Revolution and the rebuilding of Lisbon after its destruction in 1775. 

image.thumb.gif.6c876a5bde18bc5e55a29dcdb4b5342d.gif

Monumento-de-Evocacao-ao-25-de-Abril-GIF.thumb.gif.7fe1339ac5c7870904f0c61d2f6a6958.gif

image.thumb.gif.f6ebe262e8fd8f72c5a306d75c96c2f5.gif

During the tour, our guide pointed out several small trolley cars that move people from the Avenue of Liberty through narrow alleys up to neighborhoods adjacent to the Avenue.  The guide told us tourists are the primary passengers on those trolleys. 

image.thumb.gif.e14b50297f24c3d4e1150dc8d9933b76.gif

We travelled through tiled lined streets and stopped at several vistas offering panoramic views of Lisbon complete with vendors selling cappuccino and fresh, delicious Pastel del Belum pastries. 

image.thumb.gif.b5085eed8b4ec08957148f555f804e44.gif

image.thumb.gif.526b7b4690214e20ee45361a9a14332c.gif

After a hardy lunch, we visited the very interesting National Tile Museum and concluded our visit there by painting our own individual glazed tiles.  May sound hokey, but it was both interesting, informative, and fun.  DW and I made ours in honor of our 2 youngest grandchildren aged 11 and 14.  As you can see, DW has the better artistic genes.  

image.thumb.gif.f5838bce60317e414adce59630ce74c9.gif

image.thumb.gif.d6d1617bba26662c447cfea93f47d15e.gif

image.thumb.gif.200f4b70b4b01ef8a65b2ee8813a4264.gif

image.thumb.gif.89f5ce51b67669abec89eeef8547a9cd.gif

After concluding our visit to the National Tile Museum, we returned to our hotel for an evening on our own.  I used this free time to grab a taxi to a local shopping center to purchase a charger for my Surface Pro 7….remember, I left home without it and my tablet’s battery died the first day in Morocco.

image.gif

image.gif

Liberty Ave-10-GIF.gif

Lisbon Street-1GIF.gif

One correction to the above post:  pastries can only be called Pastel de Belém (or plural, Pastéis de Belém) if they come from the bakery in Belém that invented them.  Everywhere else in Lisbon and Portugal they are called Pastéis de Nata.  [But they are all delicious, no matter what they are called!]

https://pasteisdebelem.pt/en/

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

One correction to the above post:  pastries can only be called Pastel de Belém (or plural, Pastéis de Belém) if they come from the bakery in Belém that invented them.  Everywhere else in Lisbon and Portugal they are called Pastéis de Nata.  [But they are all delicious, no matter what they are called!]

https://pasteisdebelem.pt/en/

Point well taken!  And, you are 100% correct..they are delicious.

Thursday, November 16th

Lisbon

I forgot to mention that upon returning to the hotel yesterday, we observed that Gucci store window had been smashed in a couple of places.  DW went into the store and asked what happened.  She was told tow teenagers who were part of a crowd of protesters hit the window with hammers.  DW said the employees and manager dismissed as teenage mischief.

image.thumb.jpeg.93b5d42b6263fb6cba77669e4a1de09b.jpeg

This was a short day with plenty of personal time.

After breakfast, DW and I split up.  DW met with Arzu, one of our surrogate daughters from Kuwait.  Arzu is the daughter of Turkish diplomats and now lives in Lisbon full time.  Arzu, took DW on her own specialized tour of Lisbon, including a cruise on the river Tagus.  What I saw on land, DW saw from the river. 

image.thumb.gif.c954fa4cb72e0545c94a74e710294614.gif

My group drove to the riverfront and visited the Monument to the Discoverers, the Belem Tower, and other riverfront attractions, including a stop at the bakery that produces the Pastel del Belum pastries.  It, of course, was crowded with tourists!

image.thumb.gif.8846525eaf35d3ef26876088ae593954.gif

image.thumb.gif.2c14e96af84c69567933517dc2ab4e38.gif

image.thumb.gif.a28e45ea01b2b7f812de3af40a86eb62.gif

image.thumb.gif.96b4503dcc3b52c31f911b7218ac869d.gif

image.thumb.gif.adc9edad6bc0a5ec2afedd3a776dc374.gif

image.thumb.gif.3b8c7f1d6a59ee1bd03ca1765e1c03cf.gif

From the riverfront we crossed the street to visit the Jeronimos Monastery and the very interesting Maritime Museum.  For those who didn’t know or forgot, Portugal has a rich history of exploration and navigation, including icons like Henry the Navigator and Vasco de Gama. The Portuguese empire stretched worldwide.  Of note is that in 1815, the King of Portugal transferred the Portuguese capital from Lisbon to Rio de Janeiro.  The following photo is the little royal skiff that transported the royal family from shore to the ship taking them to Brazil. 

image.thumb.gif.2a00c3570dd59df7e84e1b93b7e87796.gif

Following our visit to the Maritime Museum, we returned to the riverfront and enjoyed a good lunch at the Doca de Santo’s

After lunch, we returned to the hotel.  I chilled and napped. DW didn’t return from her visit with Arzu until after 8 PM.  We spent the rest of the night avoiding chatter and relaxing.

• Like 1

Thank you for all the time involved in giving a review of you preparation for your trip and your day to day experiences.  Anxious to read about the remainder of your trip.

I appreciate your difficulties in your trip preparation.  I am also relatively new to Azamara.  Great itineraries attracted us to Azamara. I also had concern  about the items that you could not do until onboard, afraid I would forget something or just miss out if I was delayed getting in line. While I headed to get specialty reservations I sent DH to get a drink upgrade. We both accomplished what we set out to do, but did not realize that as second time on Azamara we got a small discount on the drink package.  I would have thought that the crew member that sold DH the upgrade would have asked any questions that could have resulted in a discount.  I really just want to get on board and go sit down for lunch and know we are on vacation.

• Thanks 1