Continuing Review of Our First Time Azamara Experience Aboard the “Onward” TA, Lisbon to FLL Nov 18-30, 2023

Traveling Fools

All I meant was proportionally suite passengers are much more likely to dine in specialty on any given night because it is no charge for them.  All of the people I interacted with, the suite passengers did specialty a bunch and the non-suite passengers maybe just tried it.

As for being full, my experience was if we were not in port, and it was not AzAmazing night or white party night in generally one could not just walk in and get a table during prime eating hours at specialty, whereas there was not once time there was a wait for MDR at any hour (including a 10 top at 7:30 once)

It's just human nature to take advantage of something given to one for "free" when it costs others money, thats all.  No offense was intended.

No offense taken here, but I think your assumptions are off to some extent.  

Our first Azamara cruise was in an Inside cabin, and we didn't do a single specialty restaurant – not because of the cost but because the MDR food was so much better than we were used to on mass-market cruise lines that we saw no reason to 'upgrade.'  Also we like the daily menu changes and didn't want to miss out on good choices in the MDR.  Our more recent Azamara cruises have been in the CW suite with specialties and in-suite dining included – so we did visit the specialties twice per cruise (each), but we didn't dine in them more because the fixed menus (with one special each night) got old.  We also checked the MDR menu before committing to a specialty – because we still don't want to miss out on the better MDR choices.  And we never do in-suite dining even with the nice dining area, because we like our food to be served hot.

Just because something is free [or 'included,' let's not start that again] doesn't mean it provides better value than other available choices.

As to specialties requiring a reservation – that's how most cruise lines try to keep it.  You have to manage the flow [i.e. there should be empty tables even when they tell you it's full, because the limit isn't seats but service capability].  The issue is whether it's reasonably possible to get a reservation, and there are complaints about how every cruise line I know of tries to manage this [e.g. Crystal with only one free reservation per cruise; Viking with timing that gives top suites an edge; Azamara making everybody wait until they board].

As to the MDR: it should always be 'walk right in' – Azamara is one of the few cruise lines that succeeds on this (most of the time); it's a real weakness on mass market cruise lines.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Our first Azamara cruise was in an Inside cabin, and we didn't do a single specialty restaurant – not because of the cost but because the MDR food was so much better than we were used to on mass-market cruise lines that we saw no reason to 'upgrade.'  Also we like the daily menu changes and didn't want to miss out on good choices in the MDR.  Our more recent Azamara cruises have been in the CW suite with specialties and in-suite dining included – so we did visit the specialties twice per cruise (each), but we didn't dine in them more because the fixed menus (with one special each night) got old.  We also checked the MDR menu before committing to a specialty – because we still don't want to miss out on the better MDR choices.  And we never do in-suite dining even with the nice dining area, because we like our food to be served hot.

Just because something is free [or 'included,' let's not start that again] doesn't mean it provides better value than other available choices.

As to specialties requiring a reservation – that's how most cruise lines try to keep it.  You have to manage the flow [i.e. there should be empty tables even when they tell you it's full, because the limit isn't seats but service capability].  The issue is whether it's reasonably possible to get a reservation, and there are complaints about how every cruise line I know of tries to manage this [e.g. Crystal with only one free reservation per cruise; Viking with timing that gives top suites an edge; Azamara making everybody wait until they board].

As to the MDR: it should always be 'walk right in' – Azamara is one of the few cruise lines that succeeds on this (most of the time); it's a real weakness on mass market cruise lines.

Azamara succeeds in  ‘walk right in’ in the MDR most of the topime, but on occasion we’ve waited for 20-30 minutes

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Azamara succeeds in  ‘walk right in’ in the MDR most of the topime, but on occasion we’ve waited for 20-30 minutes

True.  But it's only on occasion.  Not the nightly 'beeper' brigade of mass market ships!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

2 nights of our 3 MDRs on our May Onward 7 nights, albeit at absolute peak time, we were told 30 minutes and only had 10 and 15 to wait. That's pretty good at peak of dining IMHO

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

This is exactly my opinion. On our first cruise, we were in a CC suite and booked quite a lot of speciality restaurant nights, however, I enjoyed the MDR. This year we only went once to Prime C which was the least enjoyable dinner due to the long wait for food and a rather noisy big table next to us, which took over the whole room in the back of Prime C. For the rest of the cruise, we enjoyed excellent dinners, breakfast (and one lunch) in the Main Dining Room. 

I must be in the minority. I’ve no issue to be being given a “buzzer”. That way I can go to several places during the wait - particularly the Den - and frees up staff having to come and find you. It’s a practical solution.
On Onward we had waits every night at around 1915-30 averaged 15 minutes the longest was nearer 40. The nights they’d already guessed it was longer we were given buzzers. 

We are generally happy with any table and waitstaff. The wait times were getting complicated as staff struggled to also fit in requests for particular staff. What kind of grated was one louder gentleman who crassly peeled off folding green items to usurp the system 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Oslo Dutch said:

This is exactly my opinion. On our first cruise, we were in a CC suite and booked quite a lot of speciality restaurant nights, however, I enjoyed the MDR. This year we only went once to Prime C which was the least enjoyable dinner due to the long wait for food and a rather noisy big table next to us, which took over the whole room in the back of Prime C. For the rest of the cruise, we enjoyed excellent dinners, breakfast (and one lunch) in the Main Dining Room. 

I've learned that a "best" table in the Specialties isn't necessarily so.  Being at the aft is nice for the views, but I find it can get noisy and warm too when the sun is shining on the windows.  I now much prefer a table down the side or toward the front of the restaurant which is cooler, quieter and gives the opportunity to people watch.

Phil

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

I’ve never seen that happen onboard , but that would grate on me too!

I think last November we’d a lot of first time Azamara cruisers who hadn’t grasped the onboard culture was different to lines they’d been on before. Clearly the staff weren’t used to this behaviour also and weren’t quite as adept at reacting to it given that. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, uktog said:

I think last November we’d a lot of first time Azamara cruisers who hadn’t grasped the onboard culture was different to lines they’d been on before. Clearly the staff weren’t used to this behaviour also and weren’t quite as adept at reacting to it given that. 

I hope it came up at a staff meeting!

• Like 5

8 hours ago, uktog said:

What kind of grated was one louder gentleman who crassly peeled off folding green items to usurp the system 

Wow!  The only time I've seen that happen was in Las Vegas.  Never ever on any of the cruises we have been on.

I am assuming you were diplomatically say he was bribing the staff to get priority seating or treatment.  Is that so?

I know on other lines I have cruised with that when you check in at the Maître d' your file reflects class of cabin.  I don't know if it means anything regarding prioity seating, but the information is there.

Edited by Traveling Fools

Just a heads up....Our journey begins tomorrow morning.  This evening I am going to post my review of things to date.  This will include a rehash of some of the issues previously discussed.  I want to include them in this portion of the review for continuity sake.

• Like 1

Review of 2023 Trans-Atlantic Cruise Aboard Azamara’s “ONWARD”

Lisbon to Miami

ABOUT US

We consider ourselves veteran cruisers who have sailed in all classes of cabins, inside, ocean view, veranda, concierge, and suite.  For the last 10 years, we have decided to save enough to be able to book a suite whenever we cruise.  We have sailed in suites aboard Carnival, Celebrity, NCL, and Oceania.  We do not select a cruise based solely on the cruise line.  Rather, we let itinerary dictate the line we book. 

This was our first experience with Azamara, so can’t compare this cruise with other Azamara cruises, only with those lines with whom we previously booked suites.  However, having cruised on Oceania, we were familiar with the layout of an “R” class ship.

This cruise was part of a package “Enrichment Journey” that included visiting cultural centers in Morocco and Lisbon.  The selection of Azamara and the “ONWARD” was purely incidental and was selected by the organizers of this “Enrichment Journey”. 

PRE-CRUISE

BOOKING

Our booking was made through our travel agent.  We booked this “Journey” on June 8, 2023.  We upgraded from the cabin that came with the package to a Club Ocean Suite.

POST-BOOKING

My initial impression of Azamara was gained through its website. I quickly learned that after the cruise was booked the website isn’t…well it just wasn’t.

I couldn’t enter traveler information.

I couldn’t make dinner reservations.

I couldn’t order a beverage package.

I guess I don’t know what else I can’t do pre-cruise. 

In fairness, I could book:

A shore excursion (DW lived in Bermuda, so don’t require)

A hotel

A transfer

All of which I don’t need.

Because we are seasoned cruisers, I know one place to go for questions and answers and that is right here…Cruise Critics’ Azamara Forum.  But what if I wasn’t a seasoned traveler?!?  Good chance that if I had booked directly with Azamara and given the fare of our cruise has been paid in full, I might just be freaking out.

I learned on Cruise Critic from past, current, and future Azamara customers that I would not be able to make dining reservations or pay for an upgraded beverage package until after I boarded.  I consider the inability to perform these tasks on-line, before boarding antiquated and unacceptable.  Especially for a cruise line that some consider to be a “Luxury” or “Boutique” line/experience.  I pre-plan our vacations as far in advance and as much as is possible.  When I book a cruise, I expect the boarding process to be seamless and hassle free.  Regardless of how easy it might be to jump from the boarding check process to the restaurant reservation table, I find it to be completely unnecessary. 

I appreciate the concern that booking on-line pre-cruise dining reservations could result in a conflict with the White Night or AzAamazing Experience, however, it should be the responsibility of the hotel director or cruise director to plan those two activities around dining options such as the Chef’s Table. 

I also appreciate the mistaken concept that restricting booking reservations to after onboard affords more equity among all passengers, regardless of cabin or loyalty status, to book dining preferences.  In harsh reality, the preferential perks extended by Azamara, or any other cruise line, have either been paid for through the loyalty program by repeat customers, or outright by suite passengers.  There are two solutions to gaining perks, 1. Book more cruises with Az, or 2. Pony up and book the class of suite that provides those perks.

Moving on and back to on-line issues and developments.

On August 22nd, our OBC was posted on our Az booking page.

On August 28th, I was able to complete and "Store" our travel document information.

In October, I began receiving emails from Az advertising a 20% off sale for upgrading beverage packages.  I kept checking my booking page and was unable to purchase anything but excursions.  Finally, on October 26th, I discovered a new button Az added to the booking page titled “Addons”.  When I toggled that button, I was given options to purchase an upgraded beverage package and a combination of three Chef’s Table dinners.  Whereas unlimited specialty dining is included in my fare I did not need to look for the option to purchase a dining package.  Just a caveat, I was able to purchase a Chef’s table package, BUT not make reservations for them.

Here is what I have learned from Azamara customers who populate Cruise Critics’ Azamara forum.

1.       In Comparison to other CC cruise line forums, I monitor or contribute to, the number of participants and issues discussed on CCs’ Azamara’s forum is relatively small and therefore very easy to track.  That is a very good thing and a factor I’m sure doesn’t go unnoticed by Azamara corporate offices.

2.       Past Azamara passengers appear to be an objective, loyal bunch that don’t go overboard flag waving and torching contributors with opposing views or comments.  Even those who either don’t know how to or won’t use the search feature to find answers to common questions/situations.  That said, some were very protective of the current system Az employees regarding post boarding booking of dining reservations.

3.       Most posters truly like the Azamara brand and are genuinely concerned that recent changes in ownership and management signal a decline in product quality.

4.       Some, maybe even many, posters like to compare Azamara to Oceana.  A comparison I’ll reserve judgment on.  The Azamara fleet appears to share footprint characteristics with Oceana.  That said, DW and I were disappointed with our foray into the Oceana world and know, in most instances, we can get the same bang for less buck elsewhere.

It was through CC’s Azamar Roll Call that I learned on Oct 19th (less than a month before departure from Lisbon) that Az had not sent us our “Booking Ticket”.  All it took to get it was a promptly answered call on Oct 27th to Az.  The call and email response took less than 3 minutes.

• Like 1

The Final Countdown

Monday morning greeted me at 5:00 AM.  I got up early intentionally.  With only 2 more days before we go wheels for the pre-cruise ground portion of this adventure there are things I need to finish up.

You know, when you are prepping for a cruise, it isn’t all packing and repacking that needs to be accomplished.  There are many other tasks that require attention ranging from last-minute work-related issues to pet care.  We are going to be gone for 22 days and believe me there are several important things I need to get done.  An unexpected trip to the bank to handle issues relative to my brother’s probate, making last minute adjustments to the sprinkler system, finding a home for all perishable food items, last minute medical appointments, etc. The crush of everything at the last minute tends to make me feel cornered in.  I’m sure many of you experience the same anxiety.

So, it’s the night before we head to Miami to catch our flight, and just when I think I have things under control, DD stops by and tells me, “Dad, I know you have sent me one, but could you email me another copy of your itinerary?”  I tell her sure….and then within the span of t0 minutes she asks me 3-times if I had sent it.  Not to be out done DW asks the same question.  Give me a break girls, I told you I would do it….let me do it on my time table and not yours….have another glass of wine and chill.  The email went out at 9:20 PM.

Our game plan for tomorrow morning is to leave for Miami around 10 or 11.  Soon after the trash chaps have done their thing.  It’s about a 5-hour drive from here to Ft. Lauderdale where we will park the car in the cruise terminal and then uber over to MIA for a 9:30 departure aboard Royal Air Moroc, non-stop to Casablanca.  I know there will be at least one more couple in our roll call group who are on this same flight and are part of the same Enchantment Journey as us, and I suspect there will be even more.

I’m going to call it a day and will attempt to post something tomorrow night regarding airport activities.  If not tomorrow night, than the morning of the 9th after our arrival in Casablanca.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Long story short...I left the charger for my Surface Pro at home and battery went dead on me the morning of day.  For that reason and because our land package was much busier than any of thought it would be, plus the poor internet service onboard the ship; I wasn't able to make daily postings.

We are home now and after being gone for 28 days getting things squared away.  In the next few days, I will post a review of our trip.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Traveling Fools said:

Long story short...I left the charger for my Surface Pro at home and battery went dead on me the morning of day.  For that reason and because our land package was much busier than any of thought it would be, plus the poor internet service onboard the ship; I wasn't able to make daily postings.

We are home now and after being gone for 28 days getting things squared away.  In the next few days, I will post a review of our trip.

It was great to meet you Travelling Fools!  I wrote a little CC review too. Not published yet. I hope you had as good a cruise as I did!  

November 8, 2023

Well today is the day our actual journey began.  And as many people a fond of saying, “No plan survives first contact with the enemy.”

We started off from home close to 2-hours later than planned, and that comes into play later.  The drive from our house to just north of Fort Lauderdale was incident free with no congestion.  North of Fort Lauderdale traffic began to get heavy and surged back and forth from stop and go to moderate speeds.  Except for when one of two lanes ended forcing a merge, the flow in the express lanes was unimpeded.  Remember, our goal was to park at Port Everglades and the Uber to MIA for our flight.  We arrived at Port Everglades just before 5 PM. The guard had to confirm that we could park at the cruise terminal parking lot adjacent to the pier Azamara uses at Port Everglades.  She gave us the wrong directions to reach the Palm parking structure and we ended up driving through the port and exiting the port at its north entrance.  No problem, we made a U-turn and reentered the port.  This time we got the proper directions and 5 minutes later we were at the parking structure.  The only problem was the structure was completely sealed off to the public. This meant our original plan was voided and that we would have to drive to MIA and park there.  It is now 5:45 and we are burning up the clock.

Traffic to MIA wasn’t very kind to us.  For a lengthy period of time all lanes, including the express lane were stop and go.  At about 6:15, express lane traffic started moving and we were able to reach the airport, park, and enter the terminal by 7:00.  Information provided by MIA regarding where to check in for Royal Air Moroc was flawed, meaning we had to walk the length of on one terminal and halfway through the adjacent one.

Check in at the Air Moroc Business Class counter was quick and painless.  We were told the aircraft was departing early and that boarding was to begin at 8:30. It was now 7:10.  Royal Air Moroc doesn’t participate in the Known Traveler program, but flying business meant expedited security screening.  Wrong, the security line we were using had no expedited lane (they did, but the lady screening passengers was unwilling to provide the service unless you were in a wheelchair.  Bottomline, we didn’t clear security until 7:30.

Once we cleared security, we were able to finagle a ride in a motorized cart to the Admiral’s club.  Once inside DW grabbed a flute of bubbly and I visited the men’s room.  When I looked at the departures screen, it showed our aircraft was set to board.  It is now 7:45. We decided we should head over to the gate.  We reached the gate at 8 and 20 minutes later started pre-boarding, for which we qualify.

Once on board and squared away, we started to chill.  The flight attendant made the rounds with a tray of water, tea, and mint lemonade.  If you have never tasted mint lemonade, give it a try!

After takeoff, we ordered a couple of adult beverages and perused the menu.

image.thumb.jpeg.5cba362c46bd90c7728fbd5bfbeff796.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2a08c76016febc9d63cecce89a133801.jpeg

I ordered the fish and DW the chicken      My meal was one of the best I’ve had aboard an aircraft.  DW said her’s was dry.

The lay flat seats worked like a charm and enabled several hours of sound sleep.

More Later

• Like 2

On 12/5/2023 at 3:07 PM, Traveling Fools said:

November 8, 2023

Well today is the day our actual journey began.  And as many people a fond of saying, “No plan survives first contact with the enemy.”

We started off from home close to 2-hours later than planned, and that comes into play later.  The drive from our house to just north of Fort Lauderdale was incident free with no congestion.  North of Fort Lauderdale traffic began to get heavy and surged back and forth from stop and go to moderate speeds.  Except for when one of two lanes ended forcing a merge, the flow in the express lanes was unimpeded.  Remember, our goal was to park at Port Everglades and the Uber to MIA for our flight.  We arrived at Port Everglades just before 5 PM. The guard had to confirm that we could park at the cruise terminal parking lot adjacent to the pier Azamara uses at Port Everglades.  She gave us the wrong directions to reach the Palm parking structure and we ended up driving through the port and exiting the port at its north entrance.  No problem, we made a U-turn and reentered the port.  This time we got the proper directions and 5 minutes later we were at the parking structure.  The only problem was the structure was completely sealed off to the public. This meant our original plan was voided and that we would have to drive to MIA and park there.  It is now 5:45 and we are burning up the clock.

Traffic to MIA wasn’t very kind to us.  For a lengthy period of time all lanes, including the express lane were stop and go.  At about 6:15, express lane traffic started moving and we were able to reach the airport, park, and enter the terminal by 7:00.  Information provided by MIA regarding where to check in for Royal Air Moroc was flawed, meaning we had to walk the length of on one terminal and halfway through the adjacent one.

Check in at the Air Moroc Business Class counter was quick and painless.  We were told the aircraft was departing early and that boarding was to begin at 8:30. It was now 7:10.  Royal Air Moroc doesn’t participate in the Known Traveler program, but flying business meant expedited security screening.  Wrong, the security line we were using had no expedited lane (they did, but the lady screening passengers was unwilling to provide the service unless you were in a wheelchair.  Bottomline, we didn’t clear security until 7:30.

Once we cleared security, we were able to finagle a ride in a motorized cart to the Admiral’s club.  Once inside DW grabbed a flute of bubbly and I visited the men’s room.  When I looked at the departures screen, it showed our aircraft was set to board.  It is now 7:45. We decided we should head over to the gate.  We reached the gate at 8 and 20 minutes later started pre-boarding, for which we qualify.

Once on board and squared away, we started to chill.  The flight attendant made the rounds with a tray of water, tea, and mint lemonade.  If you have never tasted mint lemonade, give it a try!

After takeoff, we ordered a couple of adult beverages and perused the menu.

image.thumb.jpeg.5cba362c46bd90c7728fbd5bfbeff796.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2a08c76016febc9d63cecce89a133801.jpeg

I ordered the fish and DW the chicken      My meal was one of the best I’ve had aboard an aircraft.  DW said her’s was dry.

The lay flat seats worked like a charm and enabled several hours of sound sleep.

More Later

Traveling Fools, we were on this trip with you and look forward to your continued review. It is so much fun to relive the trip through someone else’s eyes. It was our first Azamara voyage and we enjoyed it very much.