Continuing Review of Our First Time Azamara Experience Aboard the “Onward” TA, Lisbon to FLL Nov 18-30, 2023

Traveling Fools

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

Traveling Fools was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

Continuing Review of Our First Time Azamara Experience

Aboard the “Onward”

Trans-Atlantic, Lisbon to Fort Lauderdale

with Overnight in Hamalition, Bermuda

Nov 18 to Nov 30, 2023

We are veteran cruisers who generally book a suite and have sailed with different cruise lines. Over the years our preference has been either Celebrity or NCL. 

While we have experience Celebrity’s suite life, we have never sailed in any of their ships containing the full Retreat amenity.

We are very familiar with NCL’s Haven, having booked many Haven suites.

When planning a Nov 2022 South Pacific cruise, our TA encouraged us to consider Azamara.  They had nothing scheduled for our timeframe, so we passed.  We also considered booking an Azamara Greek Island cruise for Sept 2024.  Once again, Azamara didn’t have anything scheduled meeting our needs.

This specific cruise was booked on June 7, 2023, incidental to a land journey/transatlantic cruise package.  The fact the cruise portion is by Azamara is purely coincidental, as is the itinerary.  We would have preferred stops in the Canary Islands rather than Bermuda, but it is what it is.

At the time of booking the only suite available was a Club Continent Suite.  For the time we will be spending aboard at sea, this class of suite was not really our 1st choice.  Fortunately, a Club Ocean Suite (6002) opened up that we were able to book. We chose not to risk going the up-bid dance routine and had our TA book it outright. (Besides, Azamara’s upgrade-bid system was/is in flux and who knows if or when it will ever be fixed.)

To accomplish this, we had to cancel our original booking and rebook.  I do not know if we were charged for the cancelation/rebooking.

My initial impression of Azamara was gained through its website.  I quickly learned that after the cruise was booked the website isn’t…well it just isn’t. 

I can’t enter traveler information.

I can’t make dinner reservations.

I can’t order a beverage package.

I guess I don’t know what else I can’t do pre-cruise. 

Unless things change, I’ll have to do all this after I board; something I would rather take care of beforehand.

In fairness, I can book:

A shore excursion (DW lived in Bermuda, so don’t require)

A hotel

A transfer

All of which I don’t need.

Because we are seasoned cruisers, I know one place to go for questions and answers and that is right here…Cruise Critics’ Azamara Forum.  But what if I wasn’t a seasoned traveler?!?  Good chance that if I had booked directly with Azamara and given the fare of our cruise has been paid in full, I might just be freaking out.

Here is what I have learned from Azamara customers who populate Cruise Critics’ Azamara forum.

1.       In Comparison to other CC cruise line forums, I monitor or contribute to, the number of participants and issues discussed on CCs’ Azamara’s forum is relatively small and therefore very easy to track.  That is a very good thing and a factor I’m sure doesn’t go unnoticed by Azamara corporate offices.

2.       Past Azamara passengers appear to be an objective, loyal bunch that don’t go overboard flag waving and torching contributors with opposing views or comments.  Even those who either don’t know how to or won’t use the search feature to find answers to common questions/situations.

3.       Most posters truly like the Azamara brand and are genuinely concerned that recent changes in ownership and management signal a decline in product quality.

4.       Some, maybe even many, posters like to compare Azamara to Oceana.  A comparison I’ll reserve judgment on.  The Azamara fleet appears to share footprint characteristics with Oceana.  That said, DW and I were disappointed with our foray into the Oceana world and know, in most instances, we can get the same bang for less buck elsewhere.

I wanted to write down and share my observations and experiences to date to share with both you the veteran Azamara cruisers and those considering poking their noses under the tent.

The itinerary for our journey is:

1.       Nov 8,   2023: Drive from Amelia Island to Fort Lauderdale Cruise Pier and Uber to Miami International Airport.  Depart Miami via Royal Maroc Airlines Flt 0205 at 9:20 PM (Business)

2.       Nov 9,   2023:  Arrive Casablanca at 11:15 AM, Check into Hyatt Regency-Welcome Dinner

3.       Nov 10, 2023:  Tour of Casablanca and Rabat (I’m sure we can squeeze in a stop at Rick’s Café)

4.       Nov 11, 2023:  Transfer from Casablanca to Marrakech. Check into Sofitel Marrakech

5.       Nov 12, 2023:  Marrakech-City and Culture Tour

6.       Nov 13, 2023:  Marrakech-Tour to Village in Atlas Mountains

7.       Nov 14, 2023:  Transfer from Marrakech to Lisbon, check-in NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade, Welcome Dinner

8.       Nov 15, 2023:  Lisbon-City Tour and Tiles Workshop—Meet Arzu and Family (friend from Kuwait)

9.       Nov 16, 2023:  Lisbon-Belem Tour—Meet Arzu and Family (Friend from Kuwait)

10.   Nov 17, 2023:  Lisbon-Sintra Tour—Meet Arzu and Family (Friend from Kuwait)

11.   Nov 18, 2023:  Transfer from Hotel to Port

12.   Nov 19, 2023:  At Sea

13.   Nov 20, 2023:  At Sea

14.   Nov 21, 2023:  At Sea

15.   Nov 22, 2023:  At Sea

16.   Nov 23, 2023:  At Sea

17.   Nov 24, 2023:  At Sea

18.   Nov 25, 2023:  At Sea

19.   Nov 26, 2023:  9:00 AM Hamilton, Bermuda

20.   Nov 27, 2023:  Hamilton-5:00 PM...Will try to squeeze a 2-tank SCUBA excursion in.

21.   Nov 28, 2023:  At Sea

22.   Nov 29, 2023:  At Sea

23.   Nov 30, 2023:  7:00 AM Fort Lauderdale, followed by drive home.

I will do my best as the journey nears and progresses to keep my review going.

• Thanks 1

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Continuing Review of Our First Time Azamara Experience Aboard the “Onward” TA, Lisbon to FLL Nov 18-30, 2023

We were on Onward trans Atlantic last Nov., Lisbon to Miami. We loved it. Bad weather and we had to head south and missed Bermuda. Had a day in Nassau, we stayed on board. In March, this year, we sailed Onward, Miami to Gran Canaria. We did make our stop in Bermuda. Again, we loved it. We are booked again this Nov. for the Lisbon to Ft. Lauderdale and also the cruise before. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Your pre cruise sounds great.

Onward differs from the other Azamara ships in that the Library has been turned into a trendy Cocktail Lounge.  Get the Ultimate Package and that becomes a Good Thing!  [Especially because after a few stiff ones, you can't read anyway!!!]

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, kent4489 said:

We are booked again this Nov. for the Lisbon to Ft. Lauderdale and also the cruise before. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Your pre cruise sounds great.

Look forward to meeting you.  Hopefully the weather will be kind to us.

11 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Get the Ultimate Package and that becomes a Good Thing!  [Especially because after a few stiff ones, you can't read anyway!!!]

Sounds good to me!  The upgrade for the single malts and number of days (and nights) at sea makes it worthwhile to me.

Hello Joe and Doris. I'll be very happy to visit in your basic suite in November - you guys order the shrimp, I'll bring the champagne. We're on a B2B, Wonders of the Med or some such title, Rome to Lisbon, then on to FLL (or is it Miami?). We are ocean view on the Med cruise, almost daily ports, we won't need the larger space or bath tub, which would be nice, but not for that amount of $$$. Veranda across the pond. We've done the basic suites a few time, dyed in the wool, fanatic Azamara customers, they just aren't worth the thousands of dollars more, in our humble opinion. If you've got the money to blow, the kids are working, and the IRS isn't after you, blow the money. Wish I could, I can't, and frankly, don't miss it. I can buy a LOT of ultimate end single malts and still save over a suite. Can't buy the packages beforehand? Yeah, it would be nice, you will have no trouble at any time on board buying them. It's a long, quiet boat ride, with only 1 stop. As for your "Can't do..." list, everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, here on CC hears you, understands the frustrations, is as PO'd about it as you are. That said, I haven't read a single posting on CC complaining of poor service or any degradation of service on board the ships. You have booked passage on a very high quality product, from amenities, to ship size, to food, and most importantly, from the on board staff, from housekeeping to cruise director to captain. Please, with your posted schedule, you need to be worried more about getting to the airport, catching your Uber, than worrying about purchasing an ultimate liquor package! Sailing with Aza since 2010, please trust me when I say we've never had a bad cruise with them. We've sailed with Celebrity twice now, good, but most definitely NOT Azamara by a long shot. Looking forward to meeting you on November 20th. By the way, there is a fantastic little Port wine shop in Lisbon near the pier called Garrafeira Nacional. If you like port, take a peak, you can bring it on board without a problem.  (No, I don't work for them, and any kick backs or bribes will be graciously accepted, though not expected.)  David

Edited by Dr H
  • Like 7

17 hours ago, Traveling Fools said:

Continuing Review of Our First Time Azamara Experience

Aboard the “Onward”

Trans-Atlantic, Lisbon to Fort Lauderdale

with Overnight in Hamalition, Bermuda

Nov 18 to Nov 30, 2023

We are veteran cruisers who generally book a suite and have sailed with different cruise lines. Over the years our preference has been either Celebrity or NCL. 

While we have experience Celebrity’s suite life, we have never sailed in any of their ships containing the full Retreat amenity.

We are very familiar with NCL’s Haven, having booked many Haven suites.

When planning a Nov 2022 South Pacific cruise, our TA encouraged us to consider Azamara.  They had nothing scheduled for our timeframe, so we passed.  We also considered booking an Azamara Greek Island cruise for Sept 2024.  Once again, Azamara didn’t have anything scheduled meeting our needs.

This specific cruise was booked on June 7, 2023, incidental to a land journey/transatlantic cruise package.  The fact the cruise portion is by Azamara is purely coincidental, as is the itinerary.  We would have preferred stops in the Canary Islands rather 

My initial impression of Azamara was gained through its website.  I quickly learned that after the cruise was booked the website isn’t…well it just isn’t

I can’t enter traveler information.

I can’t make dinner reservations.

I can’t order a beverage package.

I guess I don’t know what else I can’t do pre-cruise. 

Unless things change, I’ll have to do all this after I board; something I would rather take care of beforehand.

I will do my best as the journey nears and progresses to keep my review going.

FWIW, passengers have never been able to make dinner reservations before boarding. And as Dr H says, it’s no problem to buy a beverage package when you’re ready to have your first drink on board. Very quick and easy (says someone who has bought many! 😁)

I hope you have a great time on your cruise, and I’ll look forward to your review. 

Edited by lisiamc
  • Like 4

We are also on that sailing and hoping for some kind weather.

Also we have sailed with DrH before! We think it was a round trip about 10 years ago from Singapore.

Have done about20 plus Azamara cruises but this will be the 1st on Onward

See you all soon

4 hours ago, gymfreak said:

Also we have sailed with DrH before! We think it was a round trip about 10 years ago from Singapore.

Have done about20 plus Azamara cruises but this will be the 1st on Onward

See you all soon

Hope you enjoy the ship. We loved it as the Pacific Princess and sailed in Feb 2023 as the Onward.

• Like 1

Gymfreak, I don't recall the nom-d'plume "gymfreak", but I definitely remember the two of you on the Indonesia cruise. If I'm not mistaken, I caught up with you at a bar in Ubud, you ordered me a beer, and I was 90% dead from the heat. Mrs. G has blond hair. And I believe Mr G has a very broad "yes" when he speaks. That or I've got you confused with the weird guy who sold electric chairs. Wow! Looking forward to seeing you again.  David

2 hours ago, Dr H said:

Gymfreak, I don't recall the nom-d'plume "gymfreak", but I definitely remember the two of you on the Indonesia cruise. If I'm not mistaken, I caught up with you at a bar in Ubud, you ordered me a beer, and I was 90% dead from the heat. Mrs. G has blond hair. And I believe Mr G has a very broad "yes" when he speaks. That or I've got you confused with the weird guy who sold electric chairs. Wow! Looking forward to seeing you again.  David

We shared 2 minibus trips in Bali together with Jill and Diane. 
A great trip

Vicki and Charlie

4 hours ago, gymfreak said:

We shared 2 minibus trips in Bali together with Jill and Diane. 
A great trip

Vicki and Charlie

We shared a tour in Bali & went to John Hardy’s workshop. Did we share another in Lombok or Java. I remember we stopped off and had drinks and some food & I bought the beer. 😆

• Like 2

I've been wracking my brains trying to remember your names. Yep. Memorable trips, I'll try to remember to bring our pix with us. For the record, Sandie just had back surgery. She developed sciatica symptoms about a year and a half ago (while cruising), and has been getting progressively worse. She's had severe, intractable leg pain for about 6 months now, and had 2 discs removed this past week some lower back remodeling. I'm happy to report her back pain was cured, she's now recovering for surgery doing extremely well. Got bitten by the new covid bug this week, again mild cold symptoms only, no fever or any of the other good stuff, and is in full recovery mode. Surgery was timed for the recovery period to get on board the ship. Personally, I'm counting the seconds to get on board that ship! (We were in Bali in December, unfortunately (and very luckily I have to say), we didn't get back to John Hardy. Magnificent jewelry, very expensive) G2G, good hearing from you, great hearing that you are still with us. Any chance of your joining us? We are starting on the Rome to Lisbon run Nov 7, then going onto Florida. Great hearing from EVERYONE.  David

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr H said:

I've been wracking my brains trying to remember your names. Yep. Memorable trips, I'll try to remember to bring our pix with us. For the record, Sandie just had back surgery. She developed sciatica symptoms about a year and a half ago (while cruising), and has been getting progressively worse. She's had severe, intractable leg pain for about 6 months now, and had 2 discs removed this past week some lower back remodeling. I'm happy to report her back pain was cured, she's now recovering for surgery doing extremely well. Got bitten by the new covid bug this week, again mild cold symptoms only, no fever or any of the other good stuff, and is in full recovery mode. Surgery was timed for the recovery period to get on board the ship. Personally, I'm counting the seconds to get on board that ship! (We were in Bali in December, unfortunately (and very luckily I have to say), we didn't get back to John Hardy. Magnificent jewelry, very expensive) G2G, good hearing from you, great hearing that you are still with us. Any chance of your joining us? We are starting on the Rome to Lisbon run Nov 7, then going onto Florida. Great hearing from EVERYONE.  David

Hi David, I’m actually booked on the Rome to Lisbon section & a friend is joining me. There are a few names that I recognise on the roll call. 
I’m sorry to hear Sandie  has been having such a painful time, but glad to hear she’s improving. 
I joined you and Sandie for a Ginsling at Raffles after the cruise, like you im looking forward to being back on board. 

I knew it was one of you! Still remember the last time I saw you. Prime C the night before disembarkation. We had been planning on staying in Italy for the week prior to the cruise, but with Sandie's pending surgery and not really knowing how she would be doing by november, I opted to cut short. We are leaving Atlanta on Sunday, getting into Rome Monday AM. Hopefully dinner at Hostaria Romana or Dino e Tony's, and heading out to the pier on Tuesday. Do you still have the same email address? I can let you know the rest of the plans. David

On 8/16/2023 at 11:18 AM, Dr H said:

Hello Joe and Doris. I'll be very happy to visit in your basic suite in November - you guys order the shrimp, I'll bring the champagne. We're on a B2B, Wonders of the Med or some such title, Rome to Lisbon, then on to FLL (or is it Miami?).

Hey, if this was  Siberian stopover we would provide the caviar!  This being Portugal, maybe some Port and Blu Cheese to start things off as we sail away.

On 8/19/2023 at 4:20 PM, gymfreak said:

Sounds like a mini-reunion in the making.  And while it has been years ago, DW Doris and I have spent some quality non-cruise time in both Bali and Singapore.  We can all have a few toddies and swap lies about the adventures we can still remember.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Traveling Fools said:

Just checked our booking.

While I can't access on-line check-in, our OBC is now reflected on our on-line profile.

Yes!  Yesterday my reservation showed "shore excursion coupon" without amount.  Today it correctly shows $150 and Guests 1,2 = the $300 promised in the EXMO Essentials promotion.  And this is for a 2025 sailing – so some website changes are going through for all cruises, not just those about to sail.

Thanks for prompting me to check!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Traveling Fools said:

68 days from departure and still can't enter our travel document information.

Even though we booked through a travel agent, I was able to enter our passport information by …

Manage my reservation

Click the pencil on Guests

Click documents. I only entered the Passport info for guest #1 and #2

Continue and Store

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carol01 said:

Even though we booked through a travel agent, I was able to enter our passport information by …

Manage my reservation

Click the pencil on Guests

Click documents. I only entered the Passport info for guest #1 and #2

Continue and Store

Carol, I have tried that as well as enter my booking number.  I get so far and then it kicks me back to the main page of the reservation summary.

4 hours ago, Traveling Fools said:

Carol, I have tried that as well as enter my booking number.  I get so far and then it kicks me back to the main page of the reservation summary.

There is another way - having clicked on Manage My Reservation click on the little person icon top right, then on My Profile, then on My Documents. 

12 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

There is another way - having clicked on Manage My Reservation click on the little person icon top right, then on My Profile, then on My Documents. 

Tried that too.

The suite of our choice was unavailable when we first booked this cruise, but became available later.  To get the new suite, our first booking had to be cancelled.  I was able to enter our travel documentation information for that first booking and am now wondering if Azamara transferred that information to our new booking number.

I'm going to call them tomorrow and ask. 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2023 at 10:47 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Onward differs from the other Azamara ships in that the Library has been turned into a trendy Cocktail Lounge.  Get the Ultimate Package and that becomes a Good Thing!  [Especially because after a few stiff ones, you can't read anyway!!!]

Do they still have a library? Inquiring minds here…