Live from the Ruby Princess August 15-25

Cruise Raider

Was on the Enchantment the month of June. All card games had machines

even the ones with just one deck. They said-ALL Princess ships will go to the machines.

How soon this happens. who knows? Maybe Ruby will do it at dry dock when taking

out the tables.  This was told to me by a higher up. So me it's true but as you know

things can always change.

As Cruise Raider says some things have changed, starting with this cruise.

Different ships have different dates when they start the changes, Ruby was

the 15th of Aug. If you don't have the Medallion with you go to blue line

even if Elite. Losing another perk.

Still like Princess, will still sail with them but so many changes in

every thing, it's not the Princess we knew and loved.

The crew is still very good and of course some better then others.

Edited by Belle
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Belle said:

Was on the Enchantment the month of June. All card games had machines

even the ones with just one deck. They said-ALL Princess ships will go to the machines.

How soon this happens. who knows? Maybe Ruby will do it at dry dock when taking

out the tables.  This was told to me by a higher up. So me it's true but as you know

things can always change.

As Cruise Raider says some things have changed, starting with this cruise.

Different ships have different dates when they start the changes, Ruby was

the 15th of Aug. If you don't have the Medallion with you go to blue line

even if Elite. Losing another perk.

Still like Princess, will still sail with them but so many changes in

every thing, it's not the Princess we knew and loved.

The crew is still very good and of course some better then others.

I did want to clarify that I don’t think the blue line va the green line is a loss of a perk.  Both lines, or should I say, the lack of lines, whether blue lane or green lane, were the same.  

• Like 1

On 8/18/2023 at 12:20 PM, fsdorado said:

@Cruise Raider We really enjoyed the CD, Cole, and his staff!!  They did a really great job with activities on the multiple sea days.  Please say hello to Javi from Frederick and Mickie from Texas if you see him around.

Frederick

Javi says hi back to you!  We just love him .. always kind and so very funny!  

2 hours ago, Belle said:

Was on the Enchantment the month of June.

Princess has no ship with Enchantment in the name. Did you mean Enchanted Princess? Or a different cruise line that has a ship with Enchantment in the name (I believe RCCL has such a ship)?

Sorry gave wrong information. (Blame the headache I was having)

Yes, it was the Enchanted. I always want to say Enchantment for some reason.

Yes a ship on another line has that name.

When I said green lane, I meant the Elite lane. If you don't have the Medallion with you

have to go to the blue lane. Blue lane is only line that carries your Medallion when you check in.

. So lost perk of Elite line if don't want buy the Medallion..

Sorry for the mistakes Forgive me?.☺️

Thanks for doing this thread.  We'll be on the Ruby in November.  I have one question about the Ocean Now charge.  If we have NO intention of ordering from the app or going to the for charge restaurants, do we have to pay for it?  I might feel differently if they had Gigi's/Alfredo's, but you say they don't.  Therefore, we're perfectly happy with grabbing a slice of pizza at the pool deck restaurant.  And we eat most of our meals at the MDR or buffet. But if we have to buy it, I guess we'll find a way to use it.

Thanks,

Kathy

13 minutes ago, CruisinCadie said:

Thanks for doing this thread.  We'll be on the Ruby in November.  I have one question about the Ocean Now charge.  If we have NO intention of ordering from the app or going to the for charge restaurants, do we have to pay for it?  I might feel differently if they had Gigi's/Alfredo's, but you say they don't.  Therefore, we're perfectly happy with grabbing a slice of pizza at the pool deck restaurant.  And we eat most of our meals at the MDR or buffet. But if we have to buy it, I guess we'll find a way to use it.

Thanks,

Kathy

No you do not have to pay for ON unless you are going to use it.  Nor, the casual restaurants, only if you want to dine there.

Room service will be $5 per order if you order from your cabin phone.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

No you do not have to pay for ON unless you are going to use it.  Nor, the casual restaurants, only if you want to dine there.

Room service will be $5 per order if you order from your cabin phone.

This is the right answer!  
If you do not use, you do not get charged!  
Personally, we find great value in paying the one time charge for ordering food via the app.   But, if you don’t use it, you won’t be charged.  
Also, because the Ruby doesn’t have an Alfredo’s, I wouldn’t find it imperative to upgrade or buy a package if you don’t imbibe.  
Of course, they have a Salty Dog GastroPub which now has an a la carte menu and it is at a lower cost than what was previously offered.  So, that’s a positive!  

• Like 4

Another question in advance of our boarding the Ruby this coming Friday.

My medallion app says I can buy internet coverage for $150 for the ten day cruise.   Being a platinum cruiser, I am supposed to get the internet for 50% off.  Is the normal price for the internet on the Ruby Alaska cruise $300 or $150?  If its $150, I guess I will wait until I am onboard to buy so I can actually get my 50% discount.

It is $15 per day, but platinum will get you a 50% discount.  This can be shared with your significant other if you want but only 1 device can be in use at a time.  Or you can both buy the internet service.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Petersonfcu said:

Another question in advance of our boarding the Ruby this coming Friday.

My medallion app says I can buy internet coverage for $150 for the ten day cruise.   Being a platinum cruiser, I am supposed to get the internet for 50% off.  Is the normal price for the internet on the Ruby Alaska cruise $300 or $150?  If its $150, I guess I will wait until I am onboard to buy so I can actually get my 50% discount.

Take a look at your profile photo that pops up from the left side of the screen (or that's where it used to be).  There is a PCL Sea Witch logo by your photo.  What color is it?  I am thinking yours is Blue (newbie) and the System is not recognizing your correct CC Member Level.  It should be doing that and then applying the 50% discount.  

If not working, just wait until on the ship and order it then using the App and should be good.  All else fails, visit Internet Cafe and get the discount applied.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Take a look at your profile photo that pops up from the left side of the screen (or that's where it used to be).  There is a PCL Sea Witch logo by your photo.  What color is it?  I am thinking yours is Blue (newbie) and the System is not recognizing your correct CC Member Level.  It should be doing that and then applying the 50% discount.  

If not working, just wait until on the ship and order it then using the App and should be good.  All else fails, visit Internet Cafe and get the discount applied.

Photo on lower right and if you click on it…clearly shows color

of sea witch.

@Petersonfcu

Also, when you click on MedallionNet, it will show at the top your loyalty status and you qualify for 50% discount.

If this is wrong, check the website to see if your account is correct level and travel summary.

If that’s correct, print travel summary and take OB for proof. If it’s wrong, call OceanReady team on the PCL line and get it corrected.

• Like 2

To purchase internet onboard, simply go to the app and go under packages, folio, etc on the menu.  You can just sign up on the spot and your 50% discount should be applied. It should only be $7.50 per day per device.   
if you purchase it ahead of time, you will most likely be charged full price and the discount will be applied as refundable OBC to your account.  We e gotten the package ever since it’s been offered so am taking that info from other’s experience.  

• Like 1

Yesterday was an amazing experience in Glacier Bay with the most gorgeous weather!  
Glorious sunshine and even whales and calving of the glacier was on the agenda. 
they had a beverage stand set up outside with Bloody Mary’s, coffee, etc.  And, all the trimmings were included .. shrimp, celebrity, bacon, onions, olives, limes … just no napkins.  
a roaming photographer took so many photo down on deck 7.  Seems like everyone congregated on the paper decks while deck 7 was relatively free of crowds.  
a few people came out to smoke, though.  Seems so contradictory to such natural beauty.  

Today, we are once again being blessed with the gorgeous weather today in Ketchikan, sunny and in the low seventies.  YES!   I think we’re docked at the furthest dock from town today.  I’ll figure it out once we get outside. 

We finally lose our hour tonight that we gained earlier in the cruise.  

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

To purchase internet onboard, simply go to the app and go under packages, folio, etc on the menu.  You can just sign up on the spot and your 50% discount should be applied. It should only be $7.50 per day per device.   
if you purchase it ahead of time, you will most likely be charged full price and the discount will be applied as refundable OBC to your account.  We e gotten the package ever since it’s been offered so am taking that info from other’s experience.  

As @Steelers36 mentioned, my Medallion App Seawitch is showing blue in color (newbie) when my wife and I are actually platinums.  So we are not getting discount for the one device plan that we should.  As suggested by @Cruise Raider I will wait to sign up until we are onboard.   Thanks all for the info.

Edited by Petersonfcu
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Yesterday was an amazing experience in Glacier Bay with the most gorgeous weather!  

Today, we are once again being blessed with the gorgeous weather today in Ketchikan, sunny and in the low seventies.  YES!  

I have been on an Alaska cruise where it was raining the whole time (and just pouring in Juneau), and another when it was sunny the whole time.  I do hope so much we get sunny weather like you do, everything is so much better.  The long range forecast right now is not promising. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

they had a beverage stand set up outside with Bloody Mary’s, coffee, etc.  And, all the trimmings were included .. shrimp, celebrity, bacon, onions, olives, limes … just no napkins.  
a roaming photographer took so many photo down on deck 7.  Seems like everyone congregated on the paper decks while deck 7 was relatively free of crowds.  
a few people came out to smoke, though.  Seems so contradictory to such natural beauty.  

Today, we are once again being blessed with the gorgeous weather today in Ketchikan, sunny and in the low seventies.  YES!   I think we’re docked at the furthest dock from town today.  I’ll figure it out once we get outside. 

We finally lose our hour tonight that we gained earlier in the cruise.  

We are in berth 3 (of 4). Hardly the furthest. Sapphire Princess and Volendam are ahead of us and Majestic Princess behind us. But Seven Seas Explorer is also in town but is anchored in a bay a few miles north of town. For them, it is not walkable to town.

1 hour ago, Petersonfcu said:

As @Steelers36 mentioned, my Medallion App Seawitch is showing blue in color (newbie) when my wife and I are actually platinums.  So we are not getting discount for the one device plan that we should.  As suggested by @Cruise Raider I will wait to sign up until we are onboard.   Thanks all for the info.

My husband’s Seawitch icon changed from platinum to blue every time the app was updated. You can contact askoceanmedallion@carnival.com and tell them to fix it. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, scluvsrain said:

Hi.  Can you tell me what the difference is between the 3 main dining rooms?  Da Vinci, Michelangelo and Botticelli?  Are they all the same size?  More intimate than others?  What?  Benefits of one over the others?

No difference. All about the same size. Botticelli is at the rear so more susceptible to motion when at sea. Best to think of them as three separate entrances to "the main dining room" as it's the same menu and service style in all. Note that normally, only Da Vinci (deck 6 mid) is open for breakfast and on sea days, lunch and tea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not following close enough, obviously. I have an ex student that is part of the Park Ranger group that would have come aboard in Glacier Bay. We have seen her twice this year and she always loves to hear from folks we know 🙂 . I just have to keep up-Thanks for the play by play-We will be on the Ruby in April for Hawaii cruise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lstone19 said:

We are in berth 3 (of 4). Hardly the furthest. Sapphire Princess and Volendam are ahead of us and Majestic Princess behind us. But Seven Seas Explorer is also in town but is anchored in a bay a few miles north of town. For them, it is not walkable to town.

I know, I felt foolish when I realized how close we were to town after thinking we docked at the furthest dock.  What a gorgeous day for a nice walk!  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, scluvsrain said:

Hi.  Can you tell me what the difference is between the 3 main dining rooms?  Da Vinci, Michelangelo and Botticelli?  Are they all the same size?  More intimate than others?  What?  Benefits of one over the others?

I don’t really care for the Botticelli dining room.  Although all the food comes from the same menu, it is in the very aft of the ship and we oftentimes travel with those that can’t do the stairs.  So, if we meet at vines, we have to go up to deck 7, walk to the aft and head back down to deck 6.  Then, the waiting area to be seated can oftentimes be wall to wall people.  
To top it often, there is so much more vibration back there .. I’ve seen the silverware scoot its way across the table.  That’s not a relaxing dining experience in my opinion.  My first choice would be the Michelangelo and next, the DaVinci .. the reason being the proximity to  Vines so I can take a nice glass of wine to dinner.  

• Like 3

On 8/19/2023 at 7:57 AM, lstone19 said:

The Patter has a movie in the Princess Theater tonight. So no big live show tonight. It's an 8:15 All Aboard tonight.

Following up on this, last night (8/20) had the production show originally planned for 8/22. The CD said all the entertainers that were to join in Juneau will join in Ketchikan and tonight's show is an entertainer originally scheduled for one of the nights between Juneau and Ketchikan. Beyond that, I don't know other than the final production show is, or at least was originally, scheduled for the final night (8/24).

• Like 1