Costco credit card issues on NCL?

Jetswdo

Hi folks.  I'm just wondering if any one on this board has had issues making payments using a Costco visa card.   After 2 attempts both on line and with two different agents at shore excursion dept, the card keeps getting declined.  I spoke with the Costco credit card customer service, and they insisted that the problem must be on NCL end.  (I actually have  a credit balance  on Costco card).  At the risk of sounding paranoid, NCL keeps sending me emails about applying for their NCL card.  Could there possibly be any kind of connection?  I really don't want  the NCL card, because I already have $100 on board credit--- I don't want to spend my vacation trying to figure out how. I can spend the OBC   Wish it can be used to purchase shore excursions, before cruise.  

Costco is sending me a new card  since my present one is expiring in a few months.   If the new card doesn't work with NCL, then I don't know what I will do.

18 minutes ago, Jetswdo said:

Hi folks.  I'm just wondering if any one on this board has had issues making payments using a Costco visa card.   After 2 attempts both on line and with two different agents at shore excursion dept, the card keeps getting declined.  I spoke with the Costco credit card customer service, and they insisted that the problem must be on NCL end.  (I actually have  a credit balance  on Costco card).  At the risk of sounding paranoid, NCL keeps sending me emails about applying for their NCL card.  Could there possibly be any kind of connection?  I really don't want  the NCL card, because I already have $100 on board credit--- I don't want to spend my vacation trying to figure out how. I can spend the OBC   Wish it can be used to purchase shore excursions, before cruise.  

Costco is sending me a new card  since my present one is expiring in a few months.   If the new card doesn't work with NCL, then I don't know what I will do.

I have paid for my last 4 ncl cruises with my Costco visa card without issue. 

It's 100% not the card! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jetswdo said:

At the risk of sounding paranoid, NCL keeps sending me emails about applying for their NCL card.  Could there possibly be any kind of connection?  I really don't want  the NCL card, because I already have $100 on board credit--- I don't want to spend my vacation trying to figure out how. I can spend the OBC   Wish it can be used to purchase shore excursions, before cruise. 

Just for the record, using the card points for OBC is a 'bad' idea. The same # of points gives you the same amount as a card credit (money off your bill). The OBC from the card is non-refundable so you would have to use it or lose it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's why I really do not want an NCL card----- I just want my 3 points per dollar with Costco. Well, we'll see if there is a problem when I receive my new Costco card.  I've never had an issue with any cruise line with my costco card.

4 minutes ago, Jetswdo said:

That's why I really do not want an NCL card----- I just want my 3 points per dollar with Costco. Well, we'll see if there is a problem when I receive my new Costco card.  I've never had an issue with any cruise line with my costco card.

I occasionally have had my AMEX card declined at Walmart.  AMEX says they didn't decline it but t hey have frequent complaints about Walmart declining purchase.  

You might want to investigate other cards.  Some cards may provide travel insurance.

Weird-- I've never had a problem with using an American Express card at Walmart-- Though I don't use it there very often- Another card pays back 2%----   Wells Fargo has a 3 % back card, no fee, that is similar to Costco-- I just don't want to be bothered, but I guess I will do that just for NCL cruises-- if the new Costco card doesn't work either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jetswdo said:

This is driving me crazy.  When I first booked this cruise- I made two payments so far--- no problems.  But now NCL keeps getting card declined- while Costco says they did not decline card---

If VISA does not see the authorization coming through, then it is something on the NCL side.

Credit Card Number

Expiration Date (entered as required by NCL)

Security Code

Zip Code on the account

3 hours ago, Jetswdo said:

Yes, I was an authorized user with my own card and it would not go through.  Used the card who is the primary owner and no issues.

Edited by Gypsy2

Well…if NCL says they can’t get authorization and Costco can’t give authorization then I’d tell NCL you can’t spend anything on board!  Let them figure out what went wrong and fix it!

I don’t think there’s any correlation with NCL’s credit card offer!

As you know, Costco is nothing more than a Citibank card.  I don't usually use it for travel purchases but I'd chalk it up to a technical issue.  My first guess was that your card was flagged for possible fraud but you spoke with Citi and they eliminated that possibility.  Frankly, my BofA card (not NCL) tended to get flagged a good bit when travelling so I stopped using it on the road (and most elsewhere.)  I don't recall having an issue with the others.

I always carry 3 (each of V, MC, AX) cards when travelling for this reason.  Better to be a bit paranoid than to be stuck somewhere without a means of payment.

Edited by phillygwm
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

I always carry 3 (each of V, MC, AX) cards when travelling for this reason.  Better to be a bit paranoid than to be stuck somewhere without a means of payment.

I do the same.  I work in IT so paranoia is the order of the day.  2 is 1 and 1 is NONE and therefore 3 must be the new 2.  

Seems like I recall a few threads discussing card issues - let me see if I can utilize the absolutely awesome  search features available here on CC.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We had an issue recently when trying to make final payment.  The credit limit on our card was too low, so we made an extra payment, so we'd have a credit balance to cover the whole amount.  But the Costco card wouldn't let us use that credit balance as part of the payment.  They could only charge up to our credit limit.  

We ended up getting a credit limit increase, which we've tried to do several other times.

Ok--- I did what Gypsy2 said, and yes, my husband's card went through without any issues--- Wish I had thought of that sooner--- Just odd, as it is the same account, but he has a different number and security code.  I had used my card two times without an issue with them. First to put down the deposit and then to upgrade a couple of things.  

I'm paying off the cruise each month until the month when final cruise payment is due. We'll see what happens then..  Thanks for all the replies- I really appreciate it.  Anita

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1