Global Entry renewal

ILOVEHI50

There has been a lot of posts about passports.  I just wanted to pass along my experience regarding Global Entry.  Mine and my husbands both expired last year.  We both have a credit card that covers the cost of renewal.  We submitted a renewal for my husband and with in 48 hours his had been approved, and had his new card within a couple weeks.  So I applied for mine middle of July and my application still says pending.  So the process for renewing these are all over the board it appears, just as passports are.  I just thought I would pass this along; if you need to renew, do it in plenty of time.  We have a transatlantic, and would love to use it next May.  

• Like 1

We renewed ours last year. Mine was processed quickly. My husband, for some reason, had to go do another interview. He went down to the office at the Miami Airport. Although the interview went smoothly, traffic in and out of MIA is horrendous. 

We renewed ours before or as they expired -- when we were prompted by the government.  As sandebeach experienced, DW's was renewed online, I had to go for another interview.  The interview was very pro forma, and it seemed that they randomly have some number of people go back for another interview.

• Like 1

Thanks so much.  I hope I don't have to do that.  The interviews in Nashville are always booked so far out.  Last time I had to get mine in Miami before I went boarded a cruise.  I guess time will tell.

• Like 1

There is a difference between passport renewal and global entry renewal.

When you renew your passport, you have no passport until the new one comes.

When you renew Global Entry, you can keep using it. If you renew before the expiration date, you get a grace period where you can keep using it after the expiration date. The grace period was 6 months but currently it's 24 months.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/frequently-asked-questions

• Like 1

On 8/23/2023 at 5:41 PM, Seacreature101 said:

Love Global Entry and the credit card perk for the fee.

I love the fact that it also includes TSA Pre-Check as well as expedited re-entry to the United States at a slight premium over just TSA Pre-Check alone. Hopefully, more international travel is in my future. 

• Like 1

I renewed mine 2 or 3 weeks ago, 3 months before it expired.  I had an approval email in one day and received the new card 3 days later. One of the questions asked was if I had been in any country other than Canada or Mexico for more than 24 hours.  Since we've only been cruising to the Caribbean with no overnight stays my answer was no.

On 8/23/2023 at 6:54 AM, klfrodo said:

My Global Entry has been in a "Pending" status since I applied on Dec 22, 2022.

On 8/23/2023 at 3:15 PM, mousemom11 said:

My husband's has also been in "pending" status since he submitted his renewal in February.

Gosh, I would think something must have slipped through the cracks.  Assuming you are not a nefarious character, is there any way to follow up on the status?    

34 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Gosh, I would think something must have slipped through the cracks.  Assuming you are not a nefarious character, is there any way to follow up on the status?    

Unfortunately, no. You just have to keep checking the status page. 

• Thanks 1

We applied for renewal the first of April 2022, 5 months before expiration.  I got mine within a week, his is STILL "pending", for over a year and 7 months so far.   When you check the status page you see a note that says "Due to a significant increase in application volume, we are extending the grace period to allow you continued full benefits while U.S. Customs and Border Protection is finalizing your renewal application.”  On another page they state “If you submit a renewal application before your membership expires, you will be able to continue to use benefits up to 24 months after your membership expiration date. “  So I guess we have another year grace period.