Grand Voyage Changes

wandrr

Yesterday, we received an email containing an announcement by Gus Antorcha, the President of HAL. The changes appear to be a result of complaints by those who have taken a Grand Voyage after the COVID restart, including us. Some changes are pretty trivial (for example, expanded wine packages), but some are more significant (for example, increased variety of World Stage performances). In our experience, having taken several Grand Voyages over the years, this is a welcome announcement, moving HAL back closer to the "good old days" when a Grand Voyage was definitely special. For those who may not have received anything, here is the full text:

Dear Valued Guest,

When we returned to full service following the industry-wide pause, we vowed to return as the best version of Holland America Line. Many of our Grand Voyage guests have provided us with valuable feedback, and based on those comments, our team has been working diligently to create an elevated and more consistent guest experience for Grand Voyages moving forward. We are constantly evolving the products and services we offer our guests because we are committed to creating an exceptional experience every time you step on board. With that in mind, here are some of the things you can expect on future Grand Voyages.

Dining and Entertainment

We know how important dining, beverage, and entertainment options are to the overall cruise experience. So, starting with Zuiderdam’s Grand Africa Voyage in October, and on all Grand Voyages thereafter, guests will enjoy:

• More themed Dining Room dinners and additional decorated themed parties

• More sailaways with themed food, drinks and music

• Additional themed dinner menus in the Lido Market

• Additional pop-up experiences in the specialty restaurants

• The option to purchase beverage packages (including a non-alcoholic option) – an exciting first for our Grand Voyages

• Expanded wine packages, with the option to purchase 12- and 24‑bottle packages

In addition, we’ll get your cruise started off with a “welcome aboard” gift bag filled with practical items for the voyage ahead.

Then, starting with the Grand World Voyage departing this January, and for all of our 2024 Grand Voyages, you can expect even more, including:

• Appearances by guest chefs cooking regional dishes

• Additional guest performers to increase the variety of World Stage performances

• Printed port maps and daily news digests

• Ballroom dance instructors for the duration of the voyage

Many of these changes are based on direct feedback from you, and I hope you agree they will enhance the onboard experience.

Upgrades to our Grand Voyage ships

On any cruise, the ship on which you sail is your home away from home, and this is particularly true on a Grand Voyage. We are scheduled to use Volendam, Zaandam and Zuiderdam on upcoming Grand Voyages, and we’re committed to making sure these ships remain in top condition, in keeping with the quality you have come to expect from Holland America Line.

Major improvements are being made right now to all three ships, with a focus on air and water systems, plumbing, and heating and air conditioning. These improvements are being completed without disruption to current guests.

Your feedback is immensely helpful as we continue to enhance the Grand Voyage experience. I plan to visit all four of our Grand Voyages next year to continue to hear from our most loyal guests like yourself, and I hope to see you there.

Kind regards,

Gus Antorcha
President, Holland America Line

• Like 14
  • Thanks 5

Thanks for posting this.  We will be first time HAL cruisers on their 2025 World Cruise for 124 days.  We have done longer itineraries on other cruise lines, and appreciate the attention to the condition of the ship, the menu variety, the entertainment variety, and the activities planned (especially on sea days).  I started to read HAL postings when we booked the World Cruise this past May, hoping to get a better understanding of what to expect on the cruise.  Our primary draw was the itinerary, particularly Machu Pichu, Easter Island, Africa, and a few other off the beaten path places like Madagascar.  But of course, we would like to have a pleasant and competent cruising experience as well.  Glad to hear that HAL is at least attempting to listen to customer feedback and address some of their current weaknesses, especially after Covid.  We have sailed on Viking, Oceania and RCI since the restart, and all have had issues, when compared to pre-Covid, with RCI (surprisingly) offering the best service, and fewest issues.

10 hours ago, Btimmer said:

We're booked on the Volendam's Atlantic Adventurer for 2024 and will look forward to the changes.  We've sailed many nights on the Volendam and love sailing on it.

I am pretty sure these changes are only applicable to Grand Voyages, which the Atlantic Adventurer is not. At least they are fixing up the ship!

2 hours ago, wandrr said:

I am pretty sure these changes are only applicable to Grand Voyages, which the Atlantic Adventurer is not. At least they are fixing up the ship!

Agree, Atlantic Adventurer is not a Grand Voyage….. we did it in 2016, booked on it again..for 2024.

15 hours ago, Btimmer said:

We're booked on the Volendam's Atlantic Adventurer for 2024 and will look forward to the changes.  We've sailed many nights on the Volendam and love sailing on it.

We have a very active roll call, come join us!  

Agree with the others, that cruise isn't a Grand Voyage.  

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

We have a very active roll call, come join us!  

Agree with the others, that cruise isn't a Grand Voyage.  

Yes, upon reflection I see that it's not a Grand Voyage.  However, It has a great itinerary for us which is our #1 item when choosing a cruise.  I've checked out the roll call but won't get active until after we complete the Grand South America this fall.

13 minutes ago, Btimmer said:

Yes, upon reflection I see that it's not a Grand Voyage.  However, It has a great itinerary for us which is our #1 item when choosing a cruise.  I've checked out the roll call but won't get active until after we complete the Grand South America this fall.

I agree, we book for itinerary too.  And you're smart to wait, it's hard to keep up with 2 active roll calls (Grand Australia and NZ and Atlantic Adventurer for us). 

4 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I agree, we book for itinerary too.  And you're smart to wait, it's hard to keep up with 2 active roll calls (Grand Australia and NZ and Atlantic Adventurer for us). 

Earlier this year I was juggling the GSA (I'm leading many private excursions), an Alaska cruise and a first time Princess Cruise in the British Isles.  So for the Atlantic Adventurer cruise, it's a very conscious decision to wait a bit until the GSA is done.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

Is this the cruise? 42-Day Ultimate Mediterranean & Atlantic Passage. There's nothing in November, 2024 that is called Atlantic Adventurer. I wish the search feature would let you search by cruise name. Thanks again.

That's the cruise.  They must have renamed it after I received my PR piece on the Noordam.