Selecting cabin?

DesertRat46

Is it now impossible to book anything other than a guarantee cabin? I looked a several spring 2024 cruises and none of them appeared to allow you to select a cabin. I looked at oceanview, balcony and suites and only thing that popped up was the guarantee. 

Is this a new HAL policy? if so, it's not one designed to get my future business.

I suggest you call HAL’s Personal Cruise Consultant number 1-800-355-3017 and just stay on the line if you don’t already have a PCC or call your travel agent to select a cabin.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, 0106 said:

I suggest you call HAL’s Personal Cruise Consultant number 1-800-355-3017 and just stay on the line if you don’t already have a PCC or call your travel agent to select a cabin.  

Completely agree.  the website has been having issues.  I have a 2024 cruise booked and my cabin is selected.  Your travel consultant (whether it be a TA or PCC) should be able to help.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, DesertRat46 said:

Is it now impossible to book anything other than a guarantee cabin? I looked a several spring 2024 cruises and none of them appeared to allow you to select a cabin. I looked at oceanview, balcony and suites and only thing that popped up was the guarantee. 

Is this a new HAL policy? if so, it's not one designed to get my future business.

The "only guarantee" (we pick your room) option will be the only choice if the cruise is nearly sold out, but with you checking several cruises, I am guessing it is the website, which has been wonky since over the last weekend (if not forever). I would call them, and recommend getting a PCC as 0106 suggested. Or if you use a TA, they may be able to see availability... or not.

If you want to go the PCC way, call that number and stay on to where it offers a live person during business hours, and ask to be assigned.

Edited by crystalspin

I do my own research as to what cabin I would like.

I share that cabin selection with my TA and so far never had an issue with getting my choice.

I agree the website has been having "issues" for sure.

I verified my AARP membership on the HAL website and I had to call into HAL TWICE in order to get my OBC applied to my 3 cruises I had just booked.  It took the 2nd call rep getting a SUPERVISOR involved to make it happen.  My TA sent me updated confirmation that the OBC has been applied.

I think it is a sign of the times in our world today, one must always be looking out for themselves because others do not always follow thru.

• Like 2

In July I booked a guaranty cabin for a close in sailing. I received my cabin allocation - looked it up online- it seemed acceptable. The reality was far from what I imagined - I did not know that such small cabins even existed - but it is all in the fine print of the deckplans - where image shown may not be reflective of the actual cabin.

Despite it all a fantastic B2B, but going forward,I will choose not to cruise as opposed to playing the guaranty lottery.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RD64 said:

In July I booked a guaranty cabin for a close in sailing. I received my cabin allocation - looked it up online- it seemed acceptable. The reality was far from what I imagined - I did not know that such small cabins even existed - but it is all in the fine print of the deckplans - where image shown may not be reflective of the actual cabin.

Despite it all a fantastic B2B, but going forward,I will choose not to cruise as opposed to playing the guaranty lottery.

Our experience was that guaranteed cabins work until it doesn't.  Once you get a cabin in a poor location you quickly learn how important it is to select a good cabin for you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, RD64 said:

This is especially galling when the "representative photo" shows features that clearly don't exist in most of the cabins in the category.  An example of this is the interior cabins on the smaller ships.  Every photo shows the "J" category which is a spacious cabin with a wrap around corner couch but in reality almost all of the interiors don't have this feature or any separate seating at all and are much smaller cabins.  Is it sleazy? Yes.  Is it illegal? Probably not but it certainly isn't ethical when they could easily show photos of the actual layout of the cabin you booked.

To help you out I suggest you use cruisedeckplans.com.  Membership is only $9/yr and there are lots and lots of photos and videos of actual cabins.  You might not find the exact one you booked but probably one that is in the same part of the ship or on a "sister ship" that will give you a much better idea of the cabin you're going to see when you open the door. 

Edited by Real NHDOC
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1