Bringing own wine on board?

Baz-t

1 minute ago, Blondy51 said:

Hi,

reading this and it’s raising my spirits?!  Newbie cruiser and all info says 2 bottle wine allowance. Going for 2 week med cruise on QV and was  hoping to board with 1 bottle gin & bottle champers. How strict are they? Also no booze allowed back on board during cruise? 

Take whatever you like on board at the beginning and during. Nobody checks, and nobody minds. Try not to clank, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Blondy51 said:

Hi,

reading this and it’s raising my spirits?!  Newbie cruiser and all info says 2 bottle wine allowance. Going for 2 week med cruise on QV and was  hoping to board with 1 bottle gin & bottle champers. How strict are they? Also no booze allowed back on board during cruise? 

During a Voyage, one has even rolled onboard a barrel of Rhum at Martinique. This caused much amusement

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

48 minutes ago, Blondy51 said:

Hi,

Just as an idea.  At each port on the Voyage, consider purchasing a nice bottle of local wine/fiz for the sail away toast.

PS.  Note to self…. Embarkation, don’t  forget mixers for the Gin (but supermarkets at ports of call will stock).

Hint…

Onboard Duty Free purchases…. Do one’s shopping early on the Voyage as leaving it until the last days may result in a polite “sold out” of one’s brand of choice.

Hint….

Also, look at booking next cruise while onboard for extra OBC, over and above the Cunard Fare OBC.  Aka - Free Money

Hint…

Then think about purchasing 100 Carnival Shares for even more OBC as a “Shareholder Benefit” - Aka - Free Money

Enjoy

5 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Just as an idea.  At each port on the Voyage, consider purchasing a nice bottle of local wine/fiz for the sail away toast.

PS.  Note to self…. Embarkation, don’t  forget mixers for the Gin (but supermarkets at ports of call will stock).

Hint…

Onboard Duty Free purchases…. Do one’s shopping early on the Voyage as leaving it until the last days may result in a polite “sold out” of one’s brand of choice.

Hint….

Also, look at booking next cruise while onboard for extra OBC, over and above the Cunard Fare OBC.  Aka - Free Money

Hint…

Then think about purchasing 100 Carnival Shares for even more OBC as a “Shareholder Benefit” - Aka - Free Money

Enjoy

Thanks so much for your advice Port Royal. Have read so many posts online about being frisked for alcohol when reboarding and it being confiscated. If publicly shamed would not even consider it but if as you say there is no issue, i am reassured.  
Thanks again 🙏

5 minutes ago, Blondy51 said:

Thanks so much for your advice Port Royal. Have read so many posts online about being frisked for alcohol when reboarding and it being confiscated. If publicly shamed would not even consider it but if as you say there is no issue, i am reassured.  
Thanks again 🙏

As an aside, 100 shares will cost about $1500 plus fees. The ROI is excellent 

Benefits are….

bc1b7f04-a3e8-4176-91ac-a529290fe45d

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I thought there was a corkscrew in the cabin. Perhaps they disappeared during Covid, like the atlases.

No definitely wasn’t one, cabin steward unhelpful and bars wouldn’t lend me one. 

1 hour ago, Blondy51 said:

Thanks again 🙏

Shares in U K today only just over £10 . 

6 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

No definitely wasn’t one, cabin steward unhelpful and bars wouldn’t lend me one. 

How horrid of them. I wonder what they would have done if you had ordered from Room Service a bottle of wine which happened to have a cork.

56 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

How horrid of them. I wonder what they would have done if you had ordered from Room Service a bottle of wine which happened to have a cork.

We don't drink in cabin but wouldn't room service bring a corkscrew to open the bottle for you?

Regarding the original question; Cunard and P&O were always known to be relaxed about passengers bringing alcohol aboard for in cabin consumption. I believe most others are quite strict.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, D&N said:

We don't drink in cabin but wouldn't room service bring a corkscrew to open the bottle for you?

Regarding the original question; Cunard and P&O were always known to be relaxed about passengers bringing alcohol aboard for in cabin consumption. I believe most others are quite strict.

No I tried. I gave up in the end and took it home. It was on 14 night T A so couldn’t even get one in port. 

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

Yes he was the first cabin steward that I have been disappointed in their attitude. He just did the bare minimum. Had to ask to have bed changed after 7 nights. His response he was going to do the next day but I said no I wanted today so no surprise he didn’t put himself out. 

4 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

No I tried. I gave up in the end and took it home. It was on 14 night T A so couldn’t even get one in port. 

I had to check back the thread for that. Anywhere we go where we're buying/taking our own wine, we take a small lightweight waiters corkscrew.

I was referring to if you'd ordered a bottle from room service and were paying for it.

@Winifred 22 I've seen hacks to open bottles before but not tried any.

If wine is fairly young and cork in good condition (rosé usually is), a relatively safe way is to get a blunt handled spoon and push the cork all the way in, then use the spoon to hold the cork clear of flow while you pour the wine.

There's videos online demonstrating that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, maggielou362 said:

So do you pack your wine bottle (wrapped safely) in your checked-in luggage or do you carry it on yourself in hand luggage? Just want to do the right and sensible thing, not trying to "sneak" anything onboard.

No need to sneak. 
I badly packed in a backpack [never again] zip broke just as we were going through security and out it all falls from a height onto the carpet. 2x prosecco, 1x baileys and 1x bottle gin. plus tonic for good measure. All survived, apart from a frothing bottle of prosecco. I am about to die of shame only to look at the security lady who said ohh that's a shame do you want to drink it now 🤣 

Edited by cook68
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

LOL

No need to 'sneak'...
Cunard do not 'frisk' for booze...

No corkscrew?

wow, that's a very poor show,

never had an issue for off-piste 'in-cabin supplies' ie: extra Ice, bigger ice bucket, more glasses and....dah dah a corkscrew...

I think as you say, the slightly uppity, nee lazy Steward (which is very rare in my experience on Cunard) was not a happy bunny.
Same sheets for a week - yikes!

Note to self,

pop a corkscrew in my luggage if taking the clinking stuff and vittles aboard LOL.

I know this topic is for alcoholic beverages, but am I allowed to bring a few big bottles of water with me on board? I know I can get bottles of water delivered to my room but the markup seems a bit excessive.  Thanks for your advice!

• Like 1

Yes you can, you can also request a  jug of iced water from room service, but the price of bottled water in Britannia is extortionate. It's complimentary for Grills guests.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rakkor said:

Yes you can, you can also request a  jug of iced water from room service, but the price of bottled water in Britannia is extortionate. It's complimentary for Grills guests.  

Thank you,  @rakkor!  I did not know about the jug of ice water from room service. I might end up doing that.

32 minutes ago, OrigamiOkapi said:

I know this topic is for alcoholic beverages, but am I allowed to bring a few big bottles of water with me on board? I know I can get bottles of water delivered to my room but the markup seems a bit excessive.  Thanks for your advice!

There is a bulk buy option on the room service menu, which I believe gets you 6 large bottles (still or sparkling) for US$23, service charge on top of that. But to answer the question yes it's quite Ok to bring as much water or any other liquid as you like on board. Water is readily served at all meals, and you can  find water supply points on board in the Lido / Kings Court and places like the gym.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, OrigamiOkapi said:

Yes, I always take (carry on the ship) a 6 pack of 1.5L's, and usually also a pack of small bottles, either a 6 or an 8 pack.
I take Meds daily, and one needs to be mixed in water.

I put the bottles in one of those big, strong handled shopping carrier bags that you get from Waitrose or Sainsbury's (although Aldi do a fab one LOL) which then pack flat and weigh nothing when you take them home.

Once in your cabin your room steward are usually most helpful with a bigger ice bucket and extra ice if you ask...
Then during the voyage we might stock up with extra at Ports, and bring it on board OK.
Never had a prob.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rakkor said:

Only in the cabin, not in the dining room.