Lavazza coffee on Princess ships- in the buffet too?

Alberta54

3 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Lavazza is good, but truly it is just an everyday coffee. Illy takes it up a notch and is considered premium. 

Illy is more expensive.  With all the cutbacks that cruise lines are making, I doubt cruisers will be seeing Illy on an major mass market cruise line.

Gotta be thankful for the upgrade to Lavazza.   The coffee syrup of yesteryears was absolutely vile.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We’re currently on the Caribbean Princess and not only do they have the new coffee in the IC and buffet but they also have cans of cold brew in the IC and coffee and cones. This is huge for someone who can’t stomach iced americanos (too acidic) and has been lugging on concentrate for the last 5 years.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2023 at 9:58 PM, wallyj said:

Princess has just ‘partnered’ with Lavazza to supply the ‘beans’. Coffee at the Buffett will now be dispensed from large Lavazza branded dispensers as shown in previous post #2.

IC coffee will still have a charge unless you have plus or premier pkg.

Wow, improving something without making it a package perk or upcharge? What a concept! 😃

On 8/29/2023 at 4:46 PM, RD64 said:

Lavazza is good, but truly it is just an everyday coffee. Illy takes it up a notch and is considered premium. 

Lavazza or illy, they are all better than that bilge oil they used to pump up to the taps in the buffets 😉   Does anyone know if Emerald has the Lavazza yet?

Edited by mrell345
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't remember seeing any Lavazza symbol on Royal Princess, neither in the buffet nor in the IC. Not my picture below, but this is the coffee machine that is installed in the buffet on Royal Princess. Coffee was good, strong and non-acidic. 

Capture.PNG

On 8/30/2023 at 3:56 PM, cheese please said:

Lavazza is on the Grand. Princess. And sorry folks but I do not think Illy is any better it just costs more. But to each their own.

My family is originally from Trieste - the home of Illy. We have Illy running through our veins. That being said -I am not sure if you have ever been to Italy, but every restaurant / caffe serves only one brand of coffee - be it Illy, Lavazza, Segafredo, Hausbrandt, etc. and people will choose their caffe based on the brand.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, RD64 said:

My family is originally from Trieste - the home of Illy. We have Illy running through our veins. That being said -I am not sure if you have ever been to Italy, but every restaurant / caffe serves only one brand of coffee - be it Illy, Lavazza, Segafredo, Hausbrandt, etc. and people will choose their caffe based on the brand.

Been to Italy alot. And by car and hotel or VROB's, Not on an in and out on a cruise. I know what your saying . For us we look for the Segafredo for our expess. But if there is none around am I going to walk away. Hard to compare coffee you get there with the suff served on this side of the Atlantic. Beautiful mountain area is Trieste been through a few time on the way to Chamonix.

8 minutes ago, cheese please said:

Been to Italy alot. And by car and hotel or VROB's, Not on an in and out on a cruise. I know what your saying . For us we look for the Segafredo for our expess. But if there is none around am I going to walk away. Hard to compare coffee you get there with the suff served on this side of the Atlantic. Beautiful mountain area is Trieste been through a few time on the way to Chamonix.

Should you be in Northern Italy again - I recommend Hausbrandt, and Goppion, but truly - the top of the top - Julius Meinl from Austria, but easily found in the region.

10 hours ago, trin880 said:

I don't remember seeing any Lavazza symbol on Royal Princess, neither in the buffet nor in the IC. Not my picture below, but this is the coffee machine that is installed in the buffet on Royal Princess. Coffee was good, strong and non-acidic. 

Capture.PNG

Thanks for the photo.  How long ago were you on the ship?  I'm sailing in about 3 weeks and very much hoping they have upgraded to Lavazza. 

On 9/4/2023 at 4:02 AM, pompeii said:

Thanks for the photo.  How long ago were you on the ship?  I'm sailing in about 3 weeks and very much hoping they have upgraded to Lavazza. 

We just returned, it was 8/26-9/2 sailing. 

• Thanks 1

Speaking strictly for myself I’m not excited (yet) to sample the Lavazza on Princess. We sailed Celebrity Equinox in June and the Lavazza coffee in both buffet and Cafe Al Bacio (like IC on Princess) was one step above “hot water with a brown crayon dipped in it” quality. One evening in MDR the coffee was actually drinkable and our waiter told us the DR was making an effort to brew it stronger. I feel snarky about this because it’s JUST COFFEE - it shouldn’t be this hard!!!

1 hour ago, iTownPrincess said:

Speaking strictly for myself I’m not excited (yet) to sample the Lavazza on Princess. We sailed Celebrity Equinox in June and the Lavazza coffee in both buffet and Cafe Al Bacio (like IC on Princess) was one step above “hot water with a brown crayon dipped in it” quality. One evening in MDR the coffee was actually drinkable and our waiter told us the DR was making an effort to brew it stronger. I feel snarky about this because it’s JUST COFFEE - it shouldn’t be this hard!!!

If they make the buffet coffee too good, no one will spend anything extra for the specialty coffee's at the IC. 😜

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Can anyone comment on whether there is a decaf Lavazza available? Sadly, some of us can't take hi-test, and Princess has always had terrible decaf, so I usually have to bring my own Via. Would prefer not to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJC said:

Can anyone comment on whether there is a decaf Lavazza available? Sadly, some of us can't take hi-test, and Princess has always had terrible decaf, so I usually have to bring my own Via. Would prefer not to.

When the Sapphire switched to Lavazza in the Buffett in July, they had a regular and decaf dispenser. So your answer is yes. If your ship has switched over, Lavazza should be available in decaf.

See picture in post #2, left dispenser is regular, right is decaf, you can almost read the small signs on the counter.

Edited by wallyj
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/3/2023 at 5:16 PM, RD64 said:

You bring back very fond memories from years gone bye 😊

The first few trips to Italy I would make it a point to try every cafe we could to enjoy a cappuccino and if the brand of espresso was different I always asked if I could buy a kilo of whole beans (and of course they gratefully would, sometimes for a reasonable price or grantis). Then I would fly back to the US with 10 kilos of espresso in one of our checked bags (I often wondered if customs ever was suspicious of me trying to smuggle drugs….lol). Boy, delicious memories 🙂 

Years back once Illy started to sell here in the US it became my daily espresso to this day. Medium roast I’ll drink maybe 80% of the time and I still like to try different espresso 20% of the time👍

15 hours ago, AZjohn said:

You bring back very fond memories from years gone bye 😊

The first few trips to Italy I would make it a point to try every cafe we could to enjoy a cappuccino and if the brand of espresso was different I always asked if I could buy a kilo of whole beans (and of course they gratefully would, sometimes for a reasonable price or grantis). Then I would fly back to the US with 10 kilos of espresso in one of our checked bags (I often wondered if customs ever was suspicious of me trying to smuggle drugs….lol). Boy, delicious memories 🙂 

Years back once Illy started to sell here in the US it became my daily espresso to this day. Medium roast I’ll drink maybe 80% of the time and I still like to try different espresso 20% of the time👍

!0 Kil's OMG, that's a lot of coffee.  Did customs or TSA give you a hard time?

After reading your post, I looked around and found this USDA FAQ, which I find both interesting and helpful for my future travels.

Can I bring green or roasted coffee beans into the United States from another country? (usda.gov)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MKAH said:

!0 Kil's OMG, that's a lot of coffee.  Did customs or TSA give you a hard time?

After reading your post, I looked around and found this USDA FAQ, which I find both interesting and helpful for my future travels.

Can I bring green or roasted coffee beans into the United States from another country? (usda.gov)

Lol… as I tried to say, this was many years ago (probably 20). I had no idea what the rules were back then but I do know now what they are today from your link👍. TSA or anyone didn’t say anything, it was just a thought after the 2nd trip bringing back the same amount I wonder if they think I’m smuggling drugs🤣

All I knew was the the different varieties of espresso in Italy was sooooo good I just had to bring some home 🙂