Shows on Vista

zteamtwo

Just off the Vista last week. The new lounge is very nice with lots of high tech theatre type things (you know, lights, sound, etc). The rows are well spaced to allow people to pass. Even tall folks like me will be comfortable. The raking of the seats seems to be less at the back so that you might have a problem seeing over the person in front. Seems to be better in the front half.

It is cold. On every occasion over a 24 day cruise, I wished I had a sweater. My wife wore a shawl.

I found the sound to be too loud on many of the performances and often saw people with their fingers in their ears. But this was only an occasional problem through the shows so I only saw one couple actually leave. I didn’t make any suggestions to the crew about sound levels, but they have a very high tech sound room so they could probably adjust it.

The shows are definitely improved over my past couple cruises. I enjoyed all but one of them (won’t say which cause tastes differ).

They also brought in a couple good comedians and singers, most were very good, only one was not to my taste - which is quite eclectic (but doesn’t include country music which they did not have anyway).

Now, the guy in Martini’s bar, singing and playing the piano and guitar, was the ****.  Sorry for that blunt comment. Young fellow.  I don’t know his name.

Jim

• 1 month later...

We have just completed the Montreal to Miami cruise on the Vista and thought the entertainment in the theatre was really poor, we had the same singer on three times, the same comedian on twice and the same violinist on twice we also had a film on one evening, this was the day after we had an extra sea day (when people would possibly watch films) and no one had the sense to check that the film was not already on the cabin TV's.

Definitely the poorest entertainment we have had including smaller Regent and Silver Seas ships.

• Like 2

Just now, PP76 said:

We have just completed the Montreal to Miami cruise on the Vista and thought the entertainment in the theatre was really poor, we had the same singer on three times, the same comedian on twice and the same violinist on twice we also had a film on one evening, this was the day after we had an extra sea day (when people would possibly watch films) and no one had the sense to check that the film was not already on the cabin TV's.

Definitely the poorest entertainment we have had including smaller Regent and Silver Seas ships.

You did not enjoy the 3 production shows?  You did not mention them.  Understand everyone's enjoyment of entertainment is about as subjective as everyone's enjoyment of food.  We enjoyed the 3 production shows, the comedian (one of the best we have had on a cruise) but the violinist was fine but did not go back for his second performance.

On 8/26/2023 at 4:44 PM, Rumpledbumskin said:

Just off the Vista last week. The new lounge is very nice with lots of high tech theatre type things (you know, lights, sound, etc). The rows are well spaced to allow people to pass. Even tall folks like me will be comfortable. The raking of the seats seems to be less at the back so that you might have a problem seeing over the person in front. Seems to be better in the front half.

It is cold. On every occasion over a 24 day cruise, I wished I had a sweater. My wife wore a shawl.

I found the sound to be too loud on many of the performances and often saw people with their fingers in their ears. But this was only an occasional problem through the shows so I only saw one couple actually leave. I didn’t make any suggestions to the crew about sound levels, but they have a very high tech sound room so they could probably adjust it.

The shows are definitely improved over my past couple cruises. I enjoyed all but one of them (won’t say which cause tastes differ).

They also brought in a couple good comedians and singers, most were very good, only one was not to my taste - which is quite eclectic (but doesn’t include country music which they did not have anyway).

Now, the guy in Martini’s bar, singing and playing the piano and guitar, was the ****.  Sorry for that blunt comment. Young fellow.  I don’t know his name.

Jim

Most young pax(not me!) would refer to that he was the bomb!(which means a good compliment) though I think that's not what you meant.Really looking forward to the new ship. Also like the Alura coming out later.

44 minutes ago, PP76 said:

Unfortunately O is not noted for good entertainment. The food is the entertainment.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2023 at 6:33 PM, PP76 said:

They usually have the guest entertainers  do 2 shows 

To be fair  the movie was on the night we overnighted in NYC  & many went ashore  for the evening

We enjoyed the movie complete with popcorn in the  Vista lounge

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We did MTL TO MIA and thought the entertainment was OK.  Cory Kaheney was excellent nd both show was packed to the point of standing room only.    Vocalist was average but she got annoying.  Production was weren't the greatest but not bad either. 

Disappointed in Ray the CD.  Very very poor planning.   Cancelling a show because of weather was terrible. You can see the forecast using many apps, I knew what the condition of the seas would be days in advance.  Waiting until 9:10 to cancel the 9:15 show was just BAD.     

We are on Vista now. Production shows are okay and worth a look. Current cast will be replaced later this month. We found the layout of the theatre to be atrocious. Sight lines are very bad. If someone is seated in front of you have little chance if a clear look at the stage, unless you are on an aisle...and even then not so great!

20231106_211249.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 10/19/2023 at 7:19 PM, rbtan said:

Unfortunately O is not noted for good entertainment. The food is the entertainment.

Perfectly stated!  Occasionally a good solo singer or comedian.  Production shows repeated over and over on all ships!  Lights, Camera & Action has been on all our cruises the last year….different ships 😊

42 minutes ago, Jayne E said:

Perfectly stated!  Occasionally a good solo singer or comedian.  Production shows repeated over and over on all ships!  Lights, Camera & Action has been on all our cruises the last year….different ships 😊

Well actually not! The Vista had an entire new line up of crew production shows that differed from the other ships. Gone was the ancient Brill Bldg & Peggy Lee shows along with some of the 1950 era shows. They were actually doing numbers of Billy Joel all the way up to Queen! 

I like the new layout of the Vista Lounge.It has more intimate spaces and doesn’t feel like a large auditorium.

Good Food, Good Wine, and Good Company does make for a great Evening. Enjoyable entertainment thereafter is always welcome. Not expecting a Broadway production on a ship where so many passengers are in bed by 9:00. I’ve been on past cruises with incredible talent providing the nightly entertainment. Many passengers won’t stay up past 9:00 regardless of who’s performing. I ‘ve enjoyed the company of incredible entertainers aboard that say they won’t come back to Oceania because of the scant crowds at the shows. Perhaps the cause and effect of the entertainer’s abilities is more complicated than some want to admit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Well actually not! The Vista had an entire new line up of crew production shows that differed from the other ships. Gone was the ancient Brill Bldg & Peggy Lee shows along with some of the 1950 era shows. They were actually doing numbers of Billy Joel all the way up to Queen! 

I like the new layout of the Vista Lounge.It has more intimate spaces and doesn’t feel like a large auditorium.

Good Food, Good Wine, and Good Company does make for a great Evening. Enjoyable entertainment thereafter is always welcome. Not expecting a Broadway production on a ship where so many passengers are in bed by 9:00. I’ve been on past cruises with incredible talent providing the nightly entertainment. Many passengers won’t stay up past 9:00 regardless of who’s performing. I ‘ve enjoyed the company of incredible entertainers aboard that say they won’t come back to Oceania because of the scant crowds at the shows. Perhaps the cause and effect of the entertainer’s abilities is more complicated than some want to admit.

Yes….Peggy Lee and Brill Building….same cruise with Lights, Camera and Action. 

Looking forward to Vista next week and some newer music. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I like the new layout of the Vista Lounge.It has more intimate spaces and doesn’t feel like a large auditorium

Agree with you often on this forum, Pinot, but OMG I find the Vista Lounge to be a case of architectural malpractice. Horrible sight lines as highlighted in pic I posted above, but so many rows which have a wooden partition on one side so only one side access for many rows.  Everyone has to get up in a row to let people in and out of the aisle. Also many seats are at a bad angle for the stage so that in addition to straining to see between the heads of those in rows ahead, one must often turn their head at an angle to see the stage.Definitely not my cup of tea!

9 hours ago, edgee said:

Agree with you often on this forum, Pinot, but OMG I find the Vista Lounge to be a case of architectural malpractice. Horrible sight lines as highlighted in pic I posted above, but so many rows which have a wooden partition on one side so only one side access for many rows.  Everyone has to get up in a row to let people in and out of the aisle. Also many seats are at a bad angle for the stage so that in addition to straining to see between the heads of those in rows ahead, one must often turn their head at an angle to see the stage.Definitely not my cup of tea!

I suppose I was lucky and only got the good seats!  I found the seat rows to be further apart than on theO ships , so one didn’t have to stand to allow others to pass.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I suppose I was lucky and only got the good seats!  I found the seat rows to be further apart than on theO ships , so one didn’t have to stand to allow others to pass.

Yesterday afternoon we had a standing room only crowd for pre Panama Canal lecture. Due to one side only access to many rows, lots and lots of upsy downsy going on as folks had to stand to let others get to available seats.

Edited by edgee
  • Thanks 1

We've done 4 cruises on Riviera. I have to say the shows were all quite packed. Can't comment on the other ships. We'll be doing a 12 day trip in Jan. on the Vista. Normally, we always found plenty of other pax after 9PM. A lot do gather in certain areas after the show. The grand bar/lounge is always a good gathering spot. As I stated the shows can be lackluster at times & the shows DO need to get updated. The single acts are often excellent.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, edgee said:

I guess it means get to a show early for the best seats(pretty much what we always do) I would think that since Vista & Allura are pretty much updated versions of Marina/Riviera, they wouldn't mess too much with what has worked fine in the past. We'll opine about the next cruise when its done.

14 minutes ago, rbtan said:

I guess it means get to a show early for the best seats(pretty much what we always do) I would think that since Vista & Allura are pretty much updated versions of Marina/Riviera, they wouldn't mess too much with what has worked fine in the past. We'll opine about the next cruise when its done.

Well, for the theatre they did mess with the past in a not good way. Off topic so will keep brief: Other not good way is paper thin walls between cabins...not good noise wise and gym and adjacent exercise room are smaller. Concierge and above will love spa deck in front, gorgeous  (big improvement) and all can enjoy new Aquamore restaurant.

1 hour ago, edgee said:

and all can enjoy new Aquamore restaurant.

Since the Aquamar restaurant is near the Lido buffet, do you find that passengers sneak in Aquamar just to find a table to eat their food from the Lido? 

We only have experience with two other Oceania cruises (Marina and the Riviera.)  The best cruise entertainment that we ever saw was on the Riviera.  A Frank Sinatra look a like with his Fly Me to the Moon show.  I was 60 years of age.  I do remember the theatre being small and loud.  Am hoping that I will like the Vista theater better.

6 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

Since the Aquamar restaurant is near the Lido buffet, do you find that passengers sneak in Aquamar just to find a table to eat their food from the Lido? 

We only have experience with two other Oceania cruises (Marina and the Riviera.)  The best cruise entertainment that we ever saw was on the Riviera.  A Frank Sinatra look a like with his Fly Me to the Moon show.  I was 60 years of age.  I do remember the theatre being small and loud.  Am hoping that I will like the Vista theater better.

Aquamar is a sit down where your order is taken by a server ......never had a problem finding a table in Terrace (except perhaps embarkation day when people are using it as a waiting spot until their cabin is ready).  A new favorite is to order something from Aquamar and have it delivered to you sitting inside or outside at Terrace! 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

They have table service in Aquarmar  so  the waiters come by to take your order  so I would not think you could "sneak" in

What does this have to do with the shows??

3 hours ago, edgee said:

Yesterday afternoon we had a standing room only crowd for pre Panama Canal lecture. Due to one side only access to many rows, lots and lots of upsy downsy going on as folks had to stand to let others get to available seats.

We found the ones on the right side  were fine for the sightlines  &  we did sit in the middle section  for the movie one night 

I found you did not have you get up for people to pass  like on the O class ships  but those drink holders   YIKES   totally absurd location

• Like 1

Just now, LHT28 said:

We found the ones on the right side  were fine for the sightlines  &  we did sit in the middle section  for the movie one night 

I found you did not have you get up for people to pass  like on the O class ships  but those drink holders   YIKES   totally absurd location

We have had to get up repeatedly to let folks through. Choice is to remain seated and get knees rubbed/roughed up IME.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, edgee said:

We have had to get up repeatedly to let folks through. Choice is to remain seated and get knees rubbed/roughed up IME.

I guess your legs are longer than mine 🙂

I really have not been in any theater where people could pass comfortably  without  getting up   except on Vista

JME

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, edgee said:

Well, for the theatre they did mess with the past in a not good way. Off topic so will keep brief: Other not good way is paper thin walls between cabins...not good noise wise and gym and adjacent exercise room are smaller. Concierge and above will love spa deck in front, gorgeous  (big improvement) and all can enjoy new Aquamore restaurant.

Our cabin (A-2)has one of the extended balconies. Anyone have experience with these?