Missing port - due to weather

9 minutes ago, paulfoel said:

On wonder at the mo. 

Missing roatan now due to storm. Can't be helped I guess. 

Any compensation or is it just tough luck? 

Really no protocol, each ship can pretty much do what they want. Might have something to do how many people onboard start to bi$#& !

• Like 1

Just now, bigque said:

They do refund port fees for that missed port though. 

Actually unfortunately not true. Agree with Jimbo .. it's up to each ship if they want to refund extra port fees. Personally I got 0 back from missing a port for weather. 

Its carnival who always refunds port fees ... not royal. I have this in writing from writing to mbayley. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, paulfoel said:

On wonder at the mo. 

Missing roatan now due to storm. Can't be helped I guess. 

Any compensation or is it just tough luck? 

Official policy in the terms and conditions but sometimes there is compensation - not required, and not as common these days.

Some  insurance policies offer compensation, especially from UK if you have one of those policies.

9 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Actually unfortunately not true. Agree with Jimbo .. it's up to each ship if they want to refund extra port fees. Personally I got 0 back from missing a port for weather. 

Its carnival who always refunds port fees ... not royal. I have this in writing from writing to mbayley. 

I would imagine RC has agreements with some ports that they pay the port fees no matter what. Maybe Carnival just takes that on the chin and refunds it anyway, even though they still owe the port.

Just now, bigque said:

When I have been on a cruise that missed a port (Oasis - October 2017) we received a refund of port fee. 

Just for full transparency, we actually didn't receive a refund (credit on my C.C.).  We received an onboard credit (OBC).  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Official policy in the terms and conditions but sometimes there is compensation - not required, and not as common these days.

Some  insurance policies offer compensation, especially from UK if you have one of those policies.

Yup, probably couple Dozen Missed Ports due to Weather, half dozen they found us a different Port, only once got $30 OBC, think about 5 or 6 did get Port Back as OBC, though we did get free Drinks for 2 hrs on 3-4 others. 25yrs ago was part of a Class Action Lawsuit against Royal for Missed Port and not getting Port fees refunded. Royal Settled, Max of $7 Million with everyone that missed a Port getting $7 for each. I ended up with $49 FCC's, sure the Lawyers representing us got a descent cut of it

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We've had a few ports cancelled over the years.  Coco Cay 3 out of 4 tries when it was still a tender port lol.  Also, we missed St John, NB on our Canada trip 5 years ago due to weather and I remember we got port fees back.  I'm sure out of our 36 cruises we've had at least one or two others cancelled.  We just look at it as another relaxing sea day.

Edited by BND