LATE DEPARTURE ON EMBARKATION DAY

stonepebble

I know I recently saw a discussion on this but I can't find it!

We are sailing on Nautica next summer and she departs Dublin at 9pm on embarkation day

We could use the day in Dublin for sight seeing.

What is O's procedure for this situation?

Do we board, do the safety check-in and then go explore some more? Or do we just board late? If so, how late can we board?

Thanks,

Chris

I want to be clear that I’ve not done exactly what you describe however.

Our last sailing on Regatta was from Los Angeles with a scheduled sailing of 5pm, for a variety of reasons we found ourselves at the curb about 3:45.  Not a word was said and unsurprisingly we sailed through checkin and security and we’re onboard within something like 10 minutes including a facilities break.

As for safety, the muster presentation is completed by watching a video on your television which unlocks it for other purposes.  When we boarded we were directed to check in with a muster representative in the dining room, this, I can imagine might be a challenge with dinner going on, surely though O will have a way to deal with it as you’ll be far from alone.

I do recall seeing something requesting one be aboard at least 60 minutes prior to sailing, that’s probably around my personal comfort limit too.

55 minutes ago, jondfk said:

I want to be clear that I’ve not done exactly what you describe however.

Our last sailing on Regatta was from Los Angeles with a scheduled sailing of 5pm, for a variety of reasons we found ourselves at the curb about 3:45.  Not a word was said and unsurprisingly we sailed through checkin and security and we’re onboard within something like 10 minutes including a facilities break.

As for safety, the muster presentation is completed by watching a video on your television which unlocks it for other purposes.  When we boarded we were directed to check in with a muster representative in the dining room, this, I can imagine might be a challenge with dinner going on, surely though O will have a way to deal with it as you’ll be far from alone.

I do recall seeing something requesting one be aboard at least 60 minutes prior to sailing, that’s probably around my personal comfort limit too.

But was this when we spent the night in San Pedro?

pre covid  we were late leaving port   (midnight )

People checked in then went ashore   not sure what time  all aboard was 

I think for US ports  the cut off is 90 minutes  to be checked in so the  manifest can be  submitted to the authorities

You could try asking  Oceania

Only a couple of ports I have heard of where you cannot return ashore  were Vancouver & Australia

• Like 1

Does Dublin use port staff or use O folks for the checkin? Port staff check ins may close well before an hour prior to a later/evening sail away. That was our experience in Barcelona. We were fine but the concierge desk was busy trying to contact not-yet-checked-in people. 

2 hours ago, babysteps said:

Does Dublin use port staff or use O folks for the checkin? Port staff check ins may close well before an hour prior to a later/evening sail away. That was our experience in Barcelona. We were fine but the concierge desk was busy trying to contact not-yet-checked-in people. 

Most embarkations ports  we have done they use contracted  port employees  with  maybe  a coupe of O staff  to help

• Like 1

We have done both arrived 2 hours before departure and checked in early the head out for the day.  Anyone doing a b2b will have to be on the ship at all aboard 30 min prior to departure.  If you check in early and drop your things, you will have to be back at all aboard time.

4 minutes ago, the more ports the better said:

We have done both arrived 2 hours before departure and checked in early the head out for the day.  Anyone doing a b2b will have to be on the ship at all aboard 30 min prior to departure.  If you check in early and drop your things, you will have to be back at all aboard time.

Not necessarily accurate. Check the port authorities. I’ve been on cruises where once newly checked in, we couldn’t leave the ship. B2Bers were in a different situation. 

If you don’t want to necessarily be stuck on a ship, don’t check in. Why risk it? My hotels have always held my luggage until I came to get it.

On 8/30/2023 at 12:37 AM, stonepebble said:

Do we board, do the safety check-in and then go explore some more? Or do we just board late? If so, how late can we board?

Thanks,

Chris

Is the port conveniently close to where you are staying?

One option would be to ask in person on that morning.

If no restrictions for getting off again you have flexibility.

If there are restrictions can you check in and board later?

One important factor is if passport controls are in place.

If you plan to maximise time ashore I would certainly be wanting to know what that time is DIRECTLY from the supervisor at the port.

Edited by Tranquility Base

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

Not necessarily accurate. Check the port authorities. I’ve been on cruises where once newly checked in, we couldn’t leave the ship. B2Bers were in a different situation. 

If you don’t want to necessarily be stuck on a ship, don’t check in. Why risk it? My hotels have always held my luggage until I came to get it.

In our case, the hotel is in Barcelona, and the port is Tarragona—so I will check with Oceania to see if we can check in, leave our luggage, and pop out to Tarragona. 

Thank you all for your help!

I did call Oceania. The agent wasn't 100% sure. She suggested we wait until 21 days before when we can schedule our check in time. She did say that she thinks we can check in as late as 6pm.

I'm still in the thinking about it stage! It will either be checking in as early as possible or as late as possible...no 2pm check in! We will be in Dublin for 2-3 days beforehand so we will probably just leave 1 or 2 less time consuming sites for that day!

Chris