Canadians Travelling to Egypt - Note Change in Visa Process

CDNPolar

As of Sunday September 3, 2023, Canadians can no longer get their Visa online or on arrival in Egypt.  

As of Sunday, Canadians travelling to Egypt will have to visit Egypt's embassy or a consulate in Canada to apply for a visa before they leave the country, according to Global Affairs Canada's travel page for Egypt.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/egypt-canadian-traveller-visas-1.6951919

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Canadians Travelling to Egypt - Note Change in Visa Process

I edited the topic title slightly, because my first reaction was that you were warning others to beware [of] Canadians traveling to Egypt!

Thanks for posting this – not seeing it in time could really ruin your trip.

• Thanks 1

I’m Canadian, too, and this was not welcomed news. We were originally told that we would be able to get the Egypt Visa onboard the ship.  I contacted HAL today and, after checking with the Documents Dept, the rep said that this issue was still being worked on.  My main concern was whether we would be denied boarding in Copenhagen next week (the beginning of our 25-day Iberian Adventure, Ancient Mysteries & Egypt Cruise) because we didn’t have our Egypt Visa.  The Documents Dept confirmed that we would NOT be denied boarding in Copenhagen, but we would NOT be able to get off the ship in Egypt.  The rep also said that we should receive an email regarding this issue, but probably not before we fly out on Saturday.  Fingers crossed that this all gets resolved and that we will be able to visit Egypt since this is the reason we chose this itinerary…otherwise, we will just have to enjoy the peace and quiet of the ship.  On the bright side, we shouldn’t have any line-ups at the Lido🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

Well, my TA just sent me a message to say that Canadians and Americans can purchase the Egypt Visa onboard for $50.  This new requirement does not apply if you are arriving by ship, only if you’re arriving by air, with Egypt being your main destination.  Yahoo!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, cruising42JVJ said:

Well, my TA just sent me a message to say that Canadians and Americans can purchase the Egypt Visa onboard for $50.  This new requirement does not apply if you are arriving by ship, only if you’re arriving by air, with Egypt being your main destination.  Yahoo!

Wow... I hope this all works out for you and that you get to see Egypt.  

You would think that there would be a grace period or grandfathered period that if you are travelling the same weekend that this goes into effect that you would be allowed to continue your trip as planned.

Good luck with this!

Edited by CDNPolar

14 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I edited the topic title slightly, because my first reaction was that you were warning others to beware [of] Canadians traveling to Egypt!

Thanks for posting this – not seeing it in time could really ruin your trip.

Thanks!

1 minute ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The news story in post #1 is confirmed by the official Canadian government website:

https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/egypt#entryexit

I notice this is a different date (October 1, 2023) than the date in the previous CBC report (Sept 3, 2023). It does state that it was updated today, August 31, 2023. It is also very clear that an eVisa will not be valid.

The CBC story also has the 2 dates, "As of Sunday" which would be Sep 3, and then a bit further, "As of Oct. 1". Very confusing. I wonder if as of Sept 3, you will be able to get the e-Visa, but not one when you arrive, and as of Oct. 1, you will no longer be able to use the e-Visa. This would enable those who are in transit, or shortly to be, to still be able to access a Visa, and give time for those who are traveling by Oct. 1 to get one from the Embassy or consulate.

3 minutes ago, Daisi said:

The CBC story also has the 2 dates, "As of Sunday" which would be Sep 3, and then a bit further, "As of Oct. 1". Very confusing. I wonder if as of Sept 3, you will be able to get the e-Visa, but not one when you arrive, and as of Oct. 1, you will no longer be able to use the e-Visa. This would enable those who are in transit, or shortly to be, to still be able to access a Visa, and give time for those who are traveling by Oct. 1 to get one from the Embassy or consulate.

I think that is probably right Daisi.

2 hours ago, gnome12 said:

I notice this is a different date (October 1, 2023) than the date in the previous CBC report (Sept 3, 2023). It does state that it was updated today, August 31, 2023. It is also very clear that an eVisa will not be valid.

FYI, the two dates are two completely different things.  The Oct 1st date pertains to Canadians that hold Egyptian citizenship, while the Sep 3rd date applies to the rest of us Canadians.  I haven’t seen any new news articles today regarding entry into Egypt, but as it stands now, for us at least, we will still be able to get an entry permit/visa while we are on the ship. Who knows, things might change before we get there on Sep 22nd.  We are all still looking forward to our first cruise since the pandemic!

15 minutes ago, cruising42JVJ said:

FYI, the two dates are two completely different things.  The Oct 1st date pertains to Canadians that hold Egyptian citizenship, while the Sep 3rd date applies to the rest of us Canadians.  I haven’t seen any new news articles today regarding entry into Egypt, but as it stands now, for us at least, we will still be able to get an entry permit/visa while we are on the ship. Who knows, things might change before we get there on Sep 22nd.  We are all still looking forward to our first cruise since the pandemic!

Sorry, you are not correct. As of October 1, Canadian passport holders can no longer enter Egypt on an eVisa. There is no mention of Egyptian nationals. It seems that the government of Egypt has relented on the Sept 3 date, and visa on arrival will still be available until Sept 30. However, from October 1, the visa must be obtained from an Egyptian embassy or consulate before departure. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cruising42JVJ said:

The travel.gc.ca information pertains to all people travelling on a Canadian passport. Period. That includes both Canadian citizens and those holding dual Canadian and Egyptian citizenship. If the latter travel on their Canadian passport, the information on the travel.gc.ca applies. If they choose to travel on their Egyptian passport, then they are subject to whatever Egyptian requirements apply. These requirements are not incorporated in the travel.gc.ca information.

We were booked on Gate1 Nile cruise leaving  October 10th.  We did have E-Visas, which are now invalid.  It’s just not possible for us to go to Montreal or Ottawa to apply in person so…..we’re cancelling…..our insurance doesn’t cover our loss.  I’m very disappointed in the lack of information from the government, it’s just a “so sad too bad” attitude.  We only found out through social media and that’s sketchy.  Guess that’s politics.   

Edited by stmartins

4 hours ago, stmartins said:

We were booked on Gate1 Nile cruise leaving  October 10th.  We did have E-Visas, which are now invalid.  It’s just not possible for us to go to Montreal or Ottawa to apply in person so…..we’re cancelling…..our insurance doesn’t cover our loss.  I’m very disappointed in the lack of information from the government, it’s just a “so sad too bad” attitude.  We only found out through social media and that’s sketchy.  Guess that’s politics.   

To be honest, it isn’t really the lack of information from the Canadian government; rather the lack of clear information from the Egyptian Embassy in Ottawa. 

• Like 1

As per link below:

"The new requirement for Canadians to apply for an Egyptian visa in advance applies only for entry by air, the update notes. 

Celebrity says that authorities re-confirmed entry via cruise ships, for transit call purposes, guests can still apply for a 72-hour visa upon arrival as noted above."

https://news.paxeditions.com/index.php/news/cruise/how-does-egypts-visa-change-impact-cruises-celebrity-posts-update

Unfotunately, my cruise is not with Celebrity and we are still waiting to hear confirmation from our cruise line.

On 9/6/2023 at 12:48 PM, stmartins said:

Hurray! New information from the Egyptian Embassy in Ottawa. Taken from their facebook page today, read the yellow box at the bottom.

image.thumb.jpeg.0349a26ade1a03be0574d2e8b583f86c.jpeg

• 4 months later...