Crossings Comparison/Reviews

habenicd

Has anyone posted, or know of, a comparison of an East to West Crossing to a West to East Crossing?  Obviously, the time of year is different but what about the weather, winds and seas between the two different routes taken and other such specifics?

We did a Transatlantic on the Royal Clipper in October/November a few years ago.  Lisbon to Barbados.  Smooth sailing all the way.  We have also done 5 TA's on larger ships (max 2200 people) in the same time period Oct/Nov.  Never hit any big seas-even on a northern route from Southampton to Boston.  All were Westbound.  Have heard the Eastbound TA's are not as smooth, but you never know...

• Like 1

I sailed on Star Flyer west-bound last November, my first trans-Atlantic trip (though I have been on these ships quite a few times). When choosing which direction to go, I opted for west-bound as it should get somewhat warmer heading from Europe to the Caribbean helped (as I understand it, correct me if I'm wrong) by the west bound route being more southerly to pick up the trade winds at that time of year. You also get the advantage of an 'extra' hour on four or five nights as the clocks change.

We were under sail without engine assistance for about 60-70% of the time; the engine was used at night to assist progress if we had fallen behind the daily schedule. We did not have any bad weather or rough seas for this trip, just a fairly continuous swell.

I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and will be repeating the trip next year.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I've done 4 crossings on the Star Clippers ships. One was eastbound and 3 were westbound. The weather is marginally calmer on westbound, but eastbound was fine too. You can't go wrong either direction on these ships. We have made lifelong friends on the crossings.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/14/2023 at 2:47 PM, deec said:

what sort of shipboard activities are there during a crossing?  Considering for fall 2024.

There may be as few as 30 to 40 passengers on board. The entertainments team are reduced in number commensurate with this. The other problem is that they do not all speak the same language. Parlour games in the evening with a flip chart sometimes with English and German speaking teams (host is bilingual), Maybe a talks again in more than one language alternating. Daytime activities might include climbing the mast up the rigging, darts on a traditional darts board, walk a mile with a crew member or golf, seriously, they chalk out some holes and bunkers on the wooden decks and use plywood disks as "balls" and have putters cut out of plywood. You have to stop the disk in the marked hole and take penalty shots for stopping in a bunker.  Quizzes, win the trivia quiz and next day you are the guy that sets the next days questions and your answers are right even if they are not!  lol. Talent competition one night and cabaret tends to be bar staff etc If there are significant problems like sea sickness the treatment is free I believe. Doctor has to sail Transatlantic.  If you miss intermediate port or other major problem drinks can be free that night depending on what captain feels. I did St. Maarten to Lisbon via Canary Island.  We ran late so passengers voted to go direct to Lisbon and miss Canary Island so as not to miss flights as we would have been a day late. Captain sits at various tables especially with people having birthdays on board and a big cake for that table.

Regards John

Edited by john watson
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I have a semi stupid question re transatlantic crossings.  I would love to do one but my wife will not.  Do they have a deals for single cabins.  One other question. I am in good health but in my low 80s so stuff can happen at that age.  I worry about needing medical attention in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean with only a physician's assistant or a nurse on board.  

DON

Quite a number of people go on the transAtlantic without their spouse. Single occupancy of a cabin is charged at 150% of a single person fare.

On the transAtlantic voyages, the ship is required to carry a doctor.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Generally speaking any cruise ships which need repositioning in the Spring, around March time  leave Caribbean and sail Eastwards towards Europe. In the Autumn around October they sail Westwards leaving Europe for the warmth of the Caribbean area.

Regards John

• Haha 2

We have done the westbound crossing on the Star Flyer three times and are doing it again this fall. Life is very simple on board. I'd almost compare it to living in outer space. One time all the Internet was out for the entire trip due to a lightning strike as we left the Mediterranean, 2016.  Most Americans and Brits were happy to miss all of the election and Brexit news they had been flooded with for months.  It's the perfect opportunity to disconnect and relax.

Passengers are fascinating and from all over the world. Most are quite friendly and happy to share their life stories with you. As for rough seas, we only had rough seas in 2016 as we were setting sail from the Canary Islands.  This was due to a big storm in the Mediterranean. I feel sure routes can be adjusted across the Atlantic to avoid any major storms. On one trip several in our group were prone to seasickness and wore patches but never had any trouble.

This will be our eighth trip on either the Star Clipper or Star Flyer, and we are happy to answer any questions anyone has.

• Like 1