New Crystal cruiser here!

Amber14

Hi everyone. I have been happily reading all the posts about the recent Crystal voyages. In some of them I have read about Crystal attracting new cruisers and since that is us I thought I would share.

We are 64 and have been cruising for almost 40 years on just about every major cruiseline and have only recently been able to cruise once a year. Just this past year we went on our first small ship and what we considered a step up with Oceania. We really enjoyed the smaller ship. We do not want a lot of children, water slides, crazy entertainment, thousands of people, and lines everywhere. When looking for a cruise for this winter I stumbled upon the Crystal Serenity to Caribbean which went to smaller islands that we have never visited. After contacting our TA we booked it. I had no idea at the time what Crystal was really like. Since then I have been reading everything I could find to figure out if we would fit in. I am still not sure about that but we are going ahead and making our final payment. I know we will love the ship, the islands, and the crew. Some of the negatives we have read do not concern us like phones and TVs. We have never had a butler, never used a ship phone, rarely use the TV, don't like super fancy food, don't drink champagne, and never ballroom dance but love dancing to oldies. What we do love is a variety of music especially music from the 60's & 70's (and if I'm dreaming more country & island music), a nice running track, a beautiful ship & cabin, welcoming passengers and crew, a basic adult beverage package, and beautiful relaxing places to visit. I truly hope Crystal will be this for us. We are really easy going and have enjoyed every cruise but one (this being an older ship with children running around everywhere including the dance floor).

Thanks to all of you who have shared your experience so that we can start to imagine ourselves being on this beautiful ship.

• Like 5

Welcome to the world of Crystal.

Just want to note even though it is not important to you by the time you sail the phones and televisions will all be working properly.  😀

They will have a DJ each night who will play music in the Pulse and at the present time the vocalist and the pianist (it is the kind where you think he's playing multiple instruments) plays a variety of songs to dance to in the Palm Court. She is one amazing vocalist.

You can get a range of food from basic to fancy so that should work very well for the two of you.

Keith

19 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Welcome to the world of Crystal.

Just want to note even though it is not important to you by the time you sail the phones and televisions will all be working properly.  😀

They will have a DJ each night who will play music in the Pulse and at the present time the vocalist and the pianist (it is the kind where you think he's playing multiple instruments) plays a variety of songs to dance to in the Palm Court. She is one amazing vocalist.

You can get a range of food from basic to fancy so that should work very well for the two of you.

Keith

Thanks Keith! The vocalist and pianist sound perfect! Can't wait to hear them both. We do sometimes use the TV so that is good to know.

If you liked Oceania, you will love Crystal! Imagine Red Ginger, but absolutely perfect. Imagine Toscano, but even better. Some of the things you probably liked about smaller ships, friendly passengers, great activities and approachable crew are definitely on Crystal.

• Like 3

You sound like you might think you are not a great fit for Crystal.  No need to worry.  I share many of the things that you haven't had and don't really care about.  I share many of those preferences and have been very happy on many cruise lines that don't offer them.  I do not fit the Crystal profile and had no idea what to expect but you will certainly find food you love, expertly prepared and service that will quickly learn your preferences.  I did not have to be a fit for Crystal, Crystal did whatever it took to be a fit for me.

Roy

• Like 9

13 hours ago, FeliciaLee said:

If you liked Oceania, you will love Crystal! Imagine Red Ginger, but absolutely perfect. Imagine Toscano, but even better. Some of the things you probably liked about smaller ships, friendly passengers, great activities and approachable crew are definitely on Crystal.

Thank you! We love both of those restaurants. The seabass at Miso glazed Red Ginger was the best thing I have ever had on a cruise ship and I just love plain old spaghetti which was amazing in Toscano. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I did not have to be a fit for Crystal, Crystal did whatever it took to be a fit for me.

Roy

I love this! Thanks for the reassurance. I was feeling like we may not fit but you have made me feel much better.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone! This will be our first cruise with everything included. It will be strange not having to give your card to someone everytime you order a drink. (I assume you don't have to do that.) We are so very excited and your warm welcome makes me feel great about our decision to try Crystal.

21 minutes ago, Amber14 said:

Thanks everyone! This will be our first cruise with everything included. It will be strange not having to give your card to someone everytime you order a drink. (I assume you don't have to do that.) We are so very excited and your warm welcome makes me feel great about our decision to try Crystal.

That's correct.  If you ordered something where there is a charge such as wine for sale you would give them your room number and name but for all the includes drinks and other beverage this is not necessary.  

Keith 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keith1010 said:

Amber14 this video is a short clip of the vocalist who performs with her husband.  Her voice was stunning.I wish I kept the video going and she can sing a whole range of sones including those from 1970s, 1980's, 1990's etc.

Keith

Incidentally @Amber14 you may find sound only on a PC but the sound and video come through fine on an IPAD.  Not sure what would happen on an android phone.

Roy

• Like 1

We sailed Oceania for quite a few cruises.  The service on Crystal bumps it up a lot.  

I love walking into the Bistro to find they already made my coffee for me exactly as I like.

Or sitting at the bar in the Cove before dinner and trying a new drink. 

The waiters in Waterside automatically bring your favorite salt sticks with out asking and the Sommelier knows which wine to pour at dinner.  

Miso Cod is on the menu some times (maybe Umi Uma) but you can ask the head waiter to have it made for you the next day.

Onboard, there are so many activities to enjoy you will have to pick among your favorites. Or you can find many quiet places to enjoy the scenery and just relax.

Edited by ChatKat in Ca.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Incidentally @Amber14 you may find sound only on a PC but the sound and video come through fine on an IPAD.  Not sure what would happen on an android phone.

Roy

I was able to see and hear it on my laptop. She sounds amazing. I really hope she is still on Serenity in January!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

We sailed Oceania for quite a few cruises.  The service on Crystal bumps it up a lot.  

I love walking into the Bistro to find they already made my coffee for me exactly as I like.

Or sitting at the bar in the Cove before dinner and trying a new drink. 

The waiters in Waterside automatically bring your favorite salt sticks with out asking and the Sommelier knows which wine to pour at dinner.  

Miso Cod is on the menu some times (maybe Umi Uma) but you can ask the head waiter to have it made for you the next day.

Onboard, there are so many activities to enjoy you will have to pick among your favorites. Or you can find many quiet places to enjoy the scenery and just relax.

I have read so much about the wonderful crew. I just can't imagine... Can't wait to meet them and experience it for myself. I love trying new before dinner drinks. I will only drink a martini on a ship and I had some yummy ones on Celebrity and Oceania.

I am excited to sit in the lounge chairs in the very back. Our favorite cabin on a ship is the aft but Serenity doesn't have cabins there. I hope the chairs are still there for anyone to use. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Amber14 said:

I have read so much about the wonderful crew. I just can't imagine... Can't wait to meet them and experience it for myself. I love trying new before dinner drinks. I will only drink a martini on a ship and I had some yummy ones on Celebrity and Oceania.

I am excited to sit in the lounge chairs in the very back. Our favorite cabin on a ship is the aft but Serenity doesn't have cabins there. I hope the chairs are still there for anyone to use. 

The aft is one of those places where because they don't have rooms like some ships do (suites with oversized verandahs) that space is available for everyone to enjoy.  But few people go out there so it's like having a ship to yourself.  To me it's like when  they don't build condominiums to block the view of a beautiful beach area so everyone can enjoy the view whereas some places allow tall buildings to be built so the only people who can enjoy the views are the owners of the condominiums. Yes to chairs and lounge chairs and a couple of tables on most decks and many of the loungers were new.

Keith 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

The aft is one of those places where because they don't have rooms like some ships do (suites with oversized verandahs) that space is available for everyone to enjoy.  But few people go out there so it's like having a ship to yourself.  To me it's like when  they don't build condominiums to block the view of a beautiful beach area so everyone can enjoy the view whereas some places allow tall buildings to be built so the only people who can enjoy the views are the owners of the condominiums. Yes to chairs and lounge chairs and a couple of tables on most decks and many of the loungers were new.

Keith 

That is so true! And I think I read somewhere that Serenity even has a waiter walk by every so often to see if you need anything back there. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Amber14 said:

That is so true! And I think I read somewhere that Serenity even has a waiter walk by every so often to see if you need anything back there. 

Yes. I had posted about the deck stewards visiting each of these areas in addition to the pool deck to ask if there is anything guests need such as drinks.

Keith

• Like 3

Mr B and I have sat out back there and played online bridge together. We were on deck seven but hardly another cruiser “promenaded” by!

Internet connection was fine.

Ambience was wonderful! So quiet and peaceful, and shady.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, May B said:

Mr B and I have sat out back there and played online bridge together. We were on deck seven but hardly another cruiser “promenaded” by!

Internet connection was fine.

Ambience was wonderful! So quiet and peaceful, and shady.

I did most of my posts on CC and another forum and my blog almost exclusively outside in the back of the ship.  Internet was great on the first two voyages and overall the best since we've sailed Crystal.  

Keith

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Amber14 said:

We discovered a Jade Martini on Crystal and it remains my go to in the Avenue Saloon ( Piano Bar ). Crystal has an extensive list of no-upcharge martinis but will essentially concoct your own fave, if at all possible. Incidentally, the current entertainer in the Avenue Saloon is Joel Spire, with whom a great singalong is guaranteed😀

• Like 4