Jim_Iain - First Non-Celebrity Cruise in 22 year - Ponant vs Celebrity Comparison

Jim_Iain

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thursday 

Up early.   We arrived Little currents at 7:30 and I have a tour departing at 8:15.   There are 3 tours. 

My tour is right up my alley.  Hiking.  As the tour is a bit aggressive there is a warning ️ 

it is like a small group tour. 15 guests on a large tour bus. 

IMG_6957.thumb.png.af8780bf82de41e83758ac09859e404e.png

We were tendered ashore and now waiting.   Not for a passenger but for our guide.   That’s a new one for me. 

Jim and Iain,

Since you are big Jeopardy fans, here is your question about your location today.

"This island found in Lake Huron is the largest fresh water island in the world.'

Answer: your on it today

18 hours ago, Purplsmurf said:

Oh no! We were supposed to meet when you were here in Milwaukee. I haven’t been on here in awhile so just seeing this today. Bummer! Hope you have a fabulous cruise.

Not a problem.    Would have been fun. 

Milwaukee is one of the most beautiful clean city we have visited.  We enjoyed every minute of exploring it.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Norwaylady said:

So late to the party Jim😅

Really great to follow your adventure on this cruise!

I think its great that you post from this adventure on the X forum🥰 

The ship looks great, small but well appointed.  

Looking forward to the rest!

Thanks -   Always god to see you along     It is a different experience for sure but as we become more acclimated to the little differences we are liking it more and more. 

The only thing that we really didn't like is that they seem to rush the dinner service but,  I'll have a talk with the server and have him slow it down.    When you order your meals you order everything at one time --- including desert.     The order is entered on a iPad type device and goes directly to the kitchen. 

Unlike most dining  etiquette they don't wait until your partner is finished before they remove you plate.   I'm a very fast eater and Iain is very slow so often he is left eating while I'm sitting with an empty table in front of me.   As soon as he finishes his dish the next course is delivered without a pause.     Often they also deliver entrees separately when they are completed in the kitchen..

• Like 2

6 hours ago, miched said:

Can you see anything thru the murky water?  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Couldn't see a thing.... LOL ---    It also is only open some nights according to sea conditions.     Actually I've never ready anyone who has seen anything.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, duck65 said:

Jim and Iain,

Since you are big Jeopardy fans, here is your question about your location today.

"This island found in Lake Huron is the largest fresh water island in the world.'

Answer: your on it today

LOL -- our guide also noted the Largest Lake on the Largest  Island on the Largest Lake ---   Now that would be a Final Jeopardy Question.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JTor said:

Thanks for posting and explaining the drink list. What does “cruise wine “ mean, is it “red or white “, no choice? Ponant may not be for me… also apparently no Aperol, another problem…

The wines are listed on the Dinner Menus -  

They have a Red, White and Rose as well as Champagne.  They often have 2 Red's and 2 Whites.   I have to see if they are the same or not.   As a non-drinker I haven't rally looked.

IMG_6944.thumb.jpeg.d30ccdca2484e7404e1a251e6bc1d902.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, champagnecruiser said:

Cova Cafe 😢 what a wonderful memory! Also the canapés served every evening - miss those luxuries!

I do think back and remember how much Celebrity has changed.    Remember they also left those wonderful Cova Chocolates on your pillow at night instead of those waxy little squares.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hcat said:

And beautiful music to go along with it all!

It really was understated elegance.    I loved the Harpist (who was the Captain's Wife at Olympic.   To me the destruction of that one of a kind dining room was a fatal error.

• Like 7

Now on with the show. 

We had an 8:15 meeting point in the main lounge.    The tenders leave from the terrace outside of the lounge. 

They had 3 tours today and all of us were on the same tender.   

The busses were waiting and as soon as the 12 on our tour were loaded we were off.   In addition to our group there were 3 Ponant guide/translators.   The bird trainer was also with us and a photographer. 

IMG_6959.thumb.jpeg.fe2876b706f8664a6fd4036d3f2d6b48.jpeg

30 minutes later we arrived at the Cup and Saucer hiking trail. 

IMG_7003.thumb.jpeg.a1168e57bf30529302d5ea80a9b7c7ec.jpeg

Small hiccup and the guide was late arriving and due to scheduling issues his assistant was tied up. 

Off we went and one of the Ponant staff took the rear to help any laggers.  

IMG_6960.thumb.jpeg.80533e2bb0dfefbe3ca365d50d6ce4c9.jpeg

IMG_6961.thumb.jpeg.56168106974e01ecacb1f1a0f65501c7.jpeg

IMG_6962.thumb.jpeg.9e6fbd0ee72c992be7895596e9a73911.jpeg

The trail is only marked with red dots on trees and a couple ropes.  

It was advertised as for those of reasonably good physical shape as it was a 6 mile hike on uneven and sometimes steep sections. 

First off while speaking to the guide, I asked how it got its name.  He said early settlers thought it looked like a cup and saucer.  The indigenous First Nation thought it looked k like an arrowhead and called it Arrow Head.    I chuckled and said Marketing!    He laughed and later I heard someone else asked and he replied Marketing. 

The area is rich in traditional herbal plants and the First Nation still collect and use many of the plants, berries, roots and pine needles for teas and salves.

IMG_6965.thumb.jpeg.cc4f9d3cf69f39f32850f783fcd0aa3e.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 9

The trails were a mixture of flat granite, mud, gravel and lots of surface roots. 

IMG_6964.thumb.jpeg.853bd82067c0b1020be7d23cd276a81a.jpeg

After about a mile we came to a ladder / stairs.  
IMG_6968.thumb.jpeg.712e10a283934ca4fd1b040245e3dbc3.jpeg

IMG_6969.thumb.jpeg.e049455d150f8c123d923123b66b43a9.jpeg

I was happy we had no moaners or groaners and everyone stayed up with the guides fast pace. 

IMG_6971.thumb.jpeg.acfe506a56c2e7229b8ac658e6edf1fe.jpeg

• Like 9

23 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

It really was understated elegance.    I loved the Harpist (who was the Captain's Wife at Olympic.   To me the destruction of that one of a kind dining room was a fatal error.

oh yes...  It was heartwrenching to see the desecration.. We miss the Olympic and the harpists.. added so much class..esp on formal nights..and  upon boarding.    Time marches on...

• Like 3