Jim_Iain - First Non-Celebrity Cruise in 22 year - Ponant vs Celebrity Comparison

Jim_Iain

5 hours ago, awhfy said:

Our granddaughter is very excited. She’s getting my 13 ProMax as her 7 isn’t holding a charge. I’m waiting for my 15 ProMax to be delivered. 

Mine is suppose do to be delivered in 15 minutes to 1 hour from now.   

I originally bought the ProMax with 256 GB by mistake and had a delivery date of Oct 10.  I called in and changed the order to the 500GB model -  They warned me my delivery date would change but didn't expect to have it ship almost immediately.     I guess the demand is for the small memory size.

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I originally bought the ProMax with 256 GB by mistake and had a delivery date of Oct 10.  I called in and changed the order to the 500GB model -  They warned me my delivery date would change but didn't expect to have it ship almost immediately.     I guess the demand is for the small memory size.

Once upon a time I ran out of memory on my iPhone.  It wasn't pretty.  Since then, I've gone with the max memory.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I have 256GB on my current iPhone 13 ProMax and have not come closed to using 1/2 of it so I went with the 256GB, which is now the lowest, when i ordered my new one.  (showing 168GB free right now)

I keep the pictures cleaned out most of the time, transferring them to my iCloud storage and then downloading to my NAS.  Once archived on my NAS, I delete them from the phone.  

On 9/16/2023 at 6:26 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Couple pix of entry into St Clair. 
Bare feet of clearance 

IMG_7116.thumb.jpeg.71bcbd9b236193f3928c1b5b763e19f3.jpeg

A couple of hours later and you would have had a pic of me crossing that bridge! 😄

Edited by D C
  • Haha 1

On 9/27/2023 at 1:52 PM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Once upon a time I ran out of memory on my iPhone.  It wasn't pretty.  Since then, I've gone with the max memory.

I think I might have been ok with the 256 Gig ---I was only using about 130 Gig.     But the 500G should do me well.   

It took me awhile to get up.    IOS 17.0.2 has to be the buggiest operating system I've ever experienced.  

Took me almost a full day to finally get my 123 Audio Books back with iTunes.    They would upload and initially nothing would be in my Library.   Tried uninstalling Books and re-installing and tried  again.   They uploaded but when I tried to play any of them got a response that even though they were on my iPhone is said couldn't find them.

I tried a fix I found -  Bizarre as it sounded.   Opened and hard closed Books at least 10 times --- again no joy.    Finally I uninstalled Books again and Re-Installed and this time all my books were there and able to listen to them. 

Also like many others - especially on the Pro Max the phone is really running hot and discontinued fast charging 3 times with an overheating message.   Hmmm...

On 9/27/2023 at 5:09 PM, DaKahuna said:

Received a notice that my 15 ProMax shipped today!

Good luck.   

The installed IOS 17 has a bug that prevents migration from one phone to the other they suggest you select the option to upgrade the software first . 

Edited by Jim_Iain

55 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Good luck.   

The installed IOS 17 has a bug that prevents migration from one phone to the other they suggest you select the option to upgrade the software first . 

Thanks.  I’ll let you know how it goes.

13 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I think I might have been ok with the 256 Gig ---I was only using about 130 Gig.     But the 500G should do me well.   

It took me awhile to get up.    IOS 17.0.2 has to be the buggiest operating system I've ever experienced.  

Took me almost a full day to finally get my 123 Audio Books back with iTunes.    They would upload and initially nothing would be in my Library.   Tried uninstalling Books and re-installing and tried  again.   They uploaded but when I tried to play any of them got a response that even though they were on my iPhone is said couldn't find them.

I tried a fix I found -  Bizarre as it sounded.   Opened and hard closed Books at least 10 times --- again no joy.    Finally I uninstalled Books again and Re-Installed and this time all my books were there and able to listen to them. 

Also like many others - especially on the Pro Max the phone is really running hot and discontinued fast charging 3 times with an overheating message.   Hmmm...

Well, I guess I'll stick with my current Pro Max.  Not up for that sort of aggravation.  The only thing I'm coveting on the new one is the 5X optical zoom.  But I'll muddle through.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Well, I guess I'll stick with my current Pro Max.  Not up for that sort of aggravation.  The only thing I'm coveting on the new one is the 5X optical zoom.  But I'll muddle through.

My phone arrived and I am in the process of transferring all the information from my old phone to my new one.  

It did have me do all the updates before transferring data from my old phone. 

Transfer complete and new phone is activated.  I'll wait a day or two before erasing and shipping off my old phone.  

Other than the phone running hot while doing all the updates and transferring data, not having any issues so far with any of my apps. 

And here I sit with my 7s with 32GB, I have 7GB available and most likely over time the app upgrades will fill up my phone and I'll have to upgrade. It still works for me, except I swear the screen is not as sensitive. It's not broken or scratched. Maybe because I cook a lot and tend to use my fingers to pick up hot items, I may have messed up my finger prints.

Edited by Mike981

On 9/2/2023 at 8:36 PM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Awesome.  Now I just need to find one with no single supplement and an itinerary I want to do.

Regent generally has a list of cruises w low to no SS. Still pricey, but definitely a luxury experience, including bizclass airfare for international flights.
Also, Regent does the best job of entertaining solo pax. Pre dinner cocktails every night, option to dine together, and multiple breakfast gatherings. Great group of pax.
My LA to Lima on Mariner last November was my best cruise ever! Currently am booked on February 2024 Regent Voyager from BsAs to Santiago (San Antonio).  I mostly cruise Oceania these days but am always looking for my “next” adventure.

Edited by PhD-iva
Edit
  • Like 1

On 9/29/2023 at 9:17 AM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I did some playing with the 5X lens.... really impressive.   Can't wait for our next cruise to try out.  

Slowly everything is starting to come together and functioning as I would expect.     As usually they add new "Features" and turn them on by default.   One example is if using AirPods (which I do daily to listen to audiobooks)   If you speak it drops the audio level and turns on Ambiant Sounds,  so low you can't hear the book for about 10 seconds.    One Google and one click and back to normal.

2 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

Regent generally has a list of cruises w low to no SS. Still pricey, but definitely a luxury experience, including bizclass airfare for international flights.
Also, Regent does the best job of entertaining solo pax. Pre dinner cocktails every night, option to dine together, and multiple breakfast gatherings. Great group of pax.
My LA to Lima on Mariner last November was my best cruise ever! Currently am booked on February 2024 Regent Voyager from BsAs to Santiago (San Antonio).  I mostly cruise Oceania these days but am always looking for my “next” adventure.

I've been checking the difference in prices between Business Class Air included vs Portto Port and find I can do much better booking my own Business Class airfare. 

I almost booked a SS cruise earlier this week for next week but forgot my sister was coming to visit.... oops.     They had a nice price on a Vancouver to San Diego, California Coastal.

12 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

@Jim_Iain @Happy Cruiser 6143  Things are still going well with my iPhone 15 ProMax.  The only time I have experienced any indications of high temperatures is when charging and it's not exactly what I would call real hot.  

Mine heated up to 115 F when first setting up while charging at the same time.    I haven't experienced any heating issues sine then.

Just now, Jim_Iain said:

I've been checking the difference in prices between Business Class Air included vs Portto Port and find I can do much better booking my own Business Class airfare. 

I almost booked a SS cruise earlier this week for next week but forgot my sister was coming to visit.... oops.     They had a nice price on a Vancouver to San Diego, California Coastal.

In that case a credit is offered. Everyone has to do the math for themselves.
Regent is the best cruiseline I’ve experienced so far, but it is expensive. At least solo pax can find some relief with several 0% SS itineraries.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mike981 said:

And here I sit with my 7s with 32GB, I have 7GB available and most likely over time the app upgrades will fill up my phone and I'll have to upgrade. It still works for me, except I swear the screen is not as sensitive. It's not broken or scratched. Maybe because I cook a lot and tend to use my fingers to pick up hot items, I may have messed up my finger prints.

I'm sure Iain would still be on 5 if he didn't get my hand me downs.   

I on the other hand am a Silicon Valley Techy  and have to have the latest and greatest whether I need it or not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

My phone arrived and I am in the process of transferring all the information from my old phone to my new one.  

It did have me do all the updates before transferring data from my old phone. 

Transfer complete and new phone is activated.  I'll wait a day or two before erasing and shipping off my old phone.  

Other than the phone running hot while doing all the updates and transferring data, not having any issues so far with any of my apps. 

Good to hear...   About the only program that is buggy for me is the Books App -  which I use heavily.    Slowly I'm getting it to work but still I have a couple books that just disappear and leave a white space where they should be.

4 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Mine heated up to 115 F when first setting up while charging at the same time.    I haven't experienced any heating issues sine then.

That's exactly what happened to me.  I left it plugged in overnight charging and it was not hot when I picked it up this morning. 

Ordered a protective case, clear, and a screen protector from Amazon.  Expect them tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

Thanks for the info.  Will check them out as well.

11 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

That's exactly what happened to me.  I left it plugged in overnight charging and it was not hot when I picked it up this morning. 

Ordered a protective case, clear, and a screen protector from Amazon.  Expect them tomorrow. 

I had ordered my Protective Case and Screen Protector before I received my phone so installed them right away.

I didn't take out the insurance but after watching a video of how the Pro and ProMax may be easy to break the rear screen just by flexing I'm thinking about buying it.    They told me I have 30 days to add it.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=iphone+15+pro+max+breakage+by+flexing

• Thanks 1