First-time Princess Cruiser with questions

Tao Diva

Hello Friends,

I'm taking my first Princess cruise on Sky Princess in February and I am a bit confused and overwhelmed by how complicated they make things. I'm hoping you might help me straghten out my understanding on a few things. For context, I'm an autistic adult with low support needs but I do seek out the quiet places, shade, and predictible social interactions. I will be cruising with extended family including a daughter and a grandaughter who are also autistic, also with similar sensory issues but also with low support needs. We manage ourselves just fine but it helps a great deal if I know what to expect in advance instead of figuring out when I get there or let things "surprise" me. (Even "good" suprises can disregulate me and feel very disruptive to my peace of mind.) Cruising is AWESOME because it's a predictable, easy-to-plan vacation, with a predictable schedules, familiar events, and there is always someone close by to help if you do need it. But to prepare, it helps to study deck plans, read the daily schedules of past cruises, get familiar with the different venues and their operating times and such. Basically, It helps to know what to expect. So I'm hoping some of you might have the patience to shed light on a few things about Sky Princess with me.

1. Do the women's and men's changing rooms in the spa include segregated sauna/steam rooms that are open to all guests? Or are the steam and saunas in the Enclave thermal suite the only ones? 

2. Do you actually reserve a specific lounge chair in the Sanctuary, or can you sit anywhere as long as you have purchased a day or half-day pass? What if you reserved a shady chair and the ship turns and and puts you in the sun? Can you trade chairs with a sun-lover?

3. If you purchase a cabana for a day, can different family members join you in the cabana at different times (as long as the total number of people do not excede the maximum at any one time, of course.)

4. If I purchase the use of a cabana for a day for my adult daughter and I, and my sister purchases a half-day pass, can she have a chair next to my cabana?

5. Is the Retreat pool part of the Sanctuary or is it open to general access?

6. Where are your favorite peaceful places on the ship?

7. Are there dining rooms where you can get table service for breakfast and lunch every day? (I realy can't handle the chaos of a buffet for very long.)

8. Does Princess allow priority boarding for people with invisible disabilities? (Embarkation day and disembarkation day, are even worse than the buffet!) I usually spend sail-away day quietly in my cabin, occasionally stepping out for short errands then going back to the room. I get up early the next morning, fresh to walk the entire ship before many people are up, and I'm fine after that.

Thank you for your patience. It realy does help to know.

~ TaoDiva

• Like 4

You picked one of the largest ships in the fleet so expect lots of people. The cabana idea is a good one for some quiet space.On port days the only lunch venue will be the buffet or a paid venue like the Pizza place. Do you have a balcony cabin so you can sit in your own quiet place? 

• Like 1

1. On Sky it is only the Enclave, The smaller ships like Caribbean Princess have a sauna as you describe. 

2. You do pick a specific lounge chair.If the sun moves they do their best to move you but can’t always do that. 

3 and 4 I don’t know

5. It is open to all adults.

6. Good question, Sky is a busy ship but the area just outside the Fitness Center and the outside walkway near Alfredos or Rudys is good.

7. Normally yes but limited hours. I think Port days there is no lunch I might be wrong. 

8. I would certainly ask and my bet is the answer is yes. If they say no, I’d ask them on their Twitter/X or facebook page and see if you get a different answer. 

Hope that helps. Have a great cruise. Sky was my first Princess cruise, it’s a beautiful ship. 

You can always get food at the International Cafe and take to your cabin.  During the day, the area after Princess Live all the way down to Crown Grill is pretty quiet.  Lots of people play cards there or a game but they aren't loud.  There is a smoking area right off Crown Grill on deck 7 that was great for a quiet place and they had comfortable loungers and it was mostly shaded.  If you can handle the smoke (and it wasn't too bad) it was a great place for an afternoon nap.

Edited by UKWildcatCruiser
spelling
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, UKWildcatCruiser said:

There is a smoking area right off Crown Grill on deck 7 that was great for a quiet place and they had comfortable loungers and it was mostly shaded. 

The smoking area is on the starboard side, the port side is non-smoking.

• Like 1

There are options for lunch dining besides the buffet mdr is open for lunch on embarcatin day deck 6 mid ship as well as sea days.  There is also the international cafe with small sandwiches soups desserts you can always grab a plate and take back to cabin room service as well with a limited menu if you have plus or premium no charge otherwise there is a charge of 5.00 or use app to order which is 14.95 for whole cruise.  There is Alfredo a sit down restaurant open for lunch extra fee or included with plus.  Also there is a grill on lick deck for no extra cost Hamburgers hot dogs etc.  For breakfast mdr is open every day for quick bites the international cafe and room service order from the card in cabin hang on door before bed.

2 hours ago, Tao Diva said:

Hello Friends,

I'm taking my first Princess cruise on Sky Princess in February and I am a bit confused and overwhelmed by how complicated they make things. I'm hoping you might help me straghten out my understanding on a few things. For context, I'm an autistic adult with low support needs but I do seek out the quiet places, shade, and predictible social interactions. I will be cruising with extended family including a daughter and a grandaughter who are also autistic, also with similar sensory issues but also with low support needs. We manage ourselves just fine but it helps a great deal if I know what to expect in advance instead of figuring out when I get there or let things "surprise" me. (Even "good" suprises can disregulate me and feel very disruptive to my peace of mind.) Cruising is AWESOME because it's a predictable, easy-to-plan vacation, with a predictable schedules, familiar events, and there is always someone close by to help if you do need it. But to prepare, it helps to study deck plans, read the daily schedules of past cruises, get familiar with the different venues and their operating times and such. Basically, It helps to know what to expect. So I'm hoping some of you might have the patience to shed light on a few things about Sky Princess with me.

1. Do the women's and men's changing rooms in the spa include segregated sauna/steam rooms that are open to all guests? Or are the steam and saunas in the Enclave thermal suite the only ones? 

2. Do you actually reserve a specific lounge chair in the Sanctuary, or can you sit anywhere as long as you have purchased a day or half-day pass? What if you reserved a shady chair and the ship turns and and puts you in the sun? Can you trade chairs with a sun-lover?

3. If you purchase a cabana for a day, can different family members join you in the cabana at different times (as long as the total number of people do not excede the maximum at any one time, of course.)

4. If I purchase the use of a cabana for a day for my adult daughter and I, and my sister purchases a half-day pass, can she have a chair next to my cabana?

5. Is the Retreat pool part of the Sanctuary or is it open to general access?

6. Where are your favorite peaceful places on the ship?

7. Are there dining rooms where you can get table service for breakfast and lunch every day? (I realy can't handle the chaos of a buffet for very long.)

8. Does Princess allow priority boarding for people with invisible disabilities? (Embarkation day and disembarkation day, are even worse than the buffet!) I usually spend sail-away day quietly in my cabin, occasionally stepping out for short errands then going back to the room. I get up early the next morning, fresh to walk the entire ship before many people are up, and I'm fine after that.

Thank you for your patience. It realy does help to know.

~ TaoDiva

I can answer a few of your questions.  In the Sanctuary you book a specific chair for specific days or half days. You cannot move around. Cant speak to the cabana. Be aware unless you are B2B  or priority boarding as early as pissible it is very difficult to get a spot in the sanctuary,  especially on sea days.  A cabana might be easier. Retreat pool is open to everyone, there are not alot of loungers directly around the pool but more on the deck above.  Dining room is open for breakfast, and open for lunch on sea days. You can also grab some beakfast/lunch at International Cafe and take it to your room or sit in the piazza.  If I want quiet, I love just sitting on my balcony. There are also some chairs on Promenade deck aft and its usually pretty quiet there. 

4 hours ago, Tao Diva said:

You should check in via the new Gray Lane which is for guests with special needs.  You have not indicated when you plan to arrive at the terminal for check-in and boarding.  If you arrive after boarding has begun, priority boarding means nothing as guest simply proceed onto the ship as soon as completed the check-in process.  If you are an early-bird and need to wait in the terminal for boarding to begin, I am sure you will be accommodated in some way.  But, you might prefer to arrive by noon or just before and then the terminal will be emptied out in all likelihood and you can be processed and onto the ship right away.  Look for the Gray Lane or ask for it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Steelers36 had good boarding suggestions for you; we usually get to the port before boarding starts, but for your needs I think that advice would be best, you could go straight to the MDR for lunch (or if that is overwhelming, you could grab a bite at the international cafe & take to your room) & your room should be ready by then (almost always ready by 1-1:30), you can stop by your muster station on your way to your room (you just need to swipe your medallion to check in & then, stay in your room, watch the muster drill & regroup for as long as you need (your stateroom steward will want to introduce themselves to you but that is fast & easy)...MDR dinner on the first night tends to be slow & more chaotic than any other evening, so that might be a night you want to choose specialty dining or room service?

for disembarkation if it works (depending on your next travel plans) consider picking the last group & the parking yourself up on the deck or other place where people are not gathering for departure until just before your departure time & show up after most people have left alternately if you can carry your luggage off go for the first walk off group...you could ask if they would allow you to use the suite/elite lounge but it is not necessarily less crowded...

5 hours ago, Tao Diva said:

The Thermal Suite in the Enclave is coed and is the only steam room/sauna on the ship.

5 hours ago, Tao Diva said:

Pre-pandemic, the Sanctuary Cabanas were limited to 2 passengers and the crew taking the reservation asked for the names and cabin number(s) of those that were going to use it.

Hi,

I’ve just disembarked Sky Princess and I also have some sensory issues & associated anxiety. I love cruising for the reasons you love them too. But know how new cruise lines and cruise ships can cause stress.

I can’t answer questions about the sanctuary/enclave but will try and give my thoughts on The Sky Princess / Princess cruise line, as a person with additional needs.

context- this was my 1st Princess Cruise ever. I travel with my husband and 10yr old daughter. We were traveling during school holidays and the ship was full.

Buffet:

Breakfast was chaos and we only went to the MDR for breakfast after experiencing that.

but what I will say about the buffet is that between 6.30 am and 10.30pm it seemed to always have something to eat. Always. All ships I’ve been on before had times where it was shut. Not so here. Which meant that popping to get a snack late at night, or mid afternoon was easy and not busy.

also, when you access the buffet, keep walking to the end. Quieter further back.

also someone was always there to take drinks orders so no jostling for space in the tea/coffee area, plates were cleared promptly so table didn’t get cluttered and I never had to hunt for cutlery. Something that stressed me out on a previous cruise. Might sound like nothing to some but when you are already in a stress heightened state something like that can send me over the edge.

embarkation:

Estrella dining room has embarkation lunch and lunch on sea days. I’d recommend use of both or have lunch after 1.30pm.

MDR:

Don’t know if this helps you but MDR you can ask for tables on the edge of a room or at least where you are up against a booth if you didn’t like people walking around and knocking into your back.

Even better, pre book times and one dining room and you can ask to have the same table every time for familiarity. And ask them if you can be moved if it’s not suitable.

Seating:

This ship didn’t feel ‘frantic’ to me very often. I’m not sure what the difference it but I think it’s down to there being many many places to sit. If you are not fussy where you sit, then you’ll find somewhere always. Take 5 during the day was great quiet place to sit. Or we picked a booth in the crown grill to play some games when the area was open for this reason during the day. Or sat by the crown grill bar just outside too in the day. I never saw a lounge cut off during the day like some ships close them when the bar is shut or no quiz/ entertainment is happening. Princess live and vista lounge were always open for seating except when the vista lounge had captain circle events.

it was often easier, and quieter, to get tea/coffee in the Princess Live cafe instead of the international cafe.

The medallion.

Game changer for me. This little bit of tech reduced stress incredibly. Here are my reasons.

I know a lot of this doesn’t matter to others and may find these things small and things that really shouldn’t bother me. But this is how my brain is. Sensory overload is horrid and this medallion cut out a lot of things that can set me off.

I had a wristband with it. Wore it the whole time. No ‘where is my cruise card’ panic. No ‘where do I put this so I don’t lose it’ by the pool because you can wear it when swimming.

your room door opens as you approach it, no digging out the card from the lanyard or pocket frantically and if you are carrying things back to your room, frees up a hand.

finding your way around. I have no sense of direction, none. I could go on the app or to a screen anytime and find my way to anywhere. For a dyspraxic like me this was fab. They had a ‘get me there’ function which clearly laid out a route to wherever you wanted. Knowing EXACTLY where you are not just the general area.

was also great for finding the nearest bathroom. No hunting for a map. I could work out where to go while in my quiet seat. Trying to decipher a map when stressed, while in a frantic lift lobby area where the maps often are? No fun at all.

you can’t always find a staff member to ask. And when I could, I can’t always get myself together enough to talk to them when stressed. Not a reflection on them. But fully down to me.

knowing where my husband and daughter were at all times-

I get anxious on my own. Husband popping to a bar and taking longer than expected would cause stress. This medallion meant I just opened the app and found where he was. I could also go somewhere on my own and always get back to husband and daughter without issue.

Or I could check ‘has my daughter left the kids club yet’ and where she was.
Daughter could always find us on the big screens around the ship too. She’s 10, has no phone, but just logged in to a big screen using her medallion and found us. she didn’t get lost & I knew it was all very Easy and reassuring for her too.

knowing they could always find me was great too. If I needed to leave where I was because it got too busy, they’d know where I went. I just sat down in a quieter area again, waited, and they’d get to me. Or I’d find them & get to them.

this isn’t an app that will show ‘they are in the buffet’. It will show you ‘in the buffet, port side, alongside the pastry shop’.

The attentiveness of staff, and the medallion was such a stress reliever for the issues I personally have that Princess have prob become my fav cruise-line to use. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

@JG&Lcruisingnewbies I just want to thank you for one of the most impressive and comprehensive responses to a poster's question that I've ever read.  I'm so glad you and your family enjoyed the cruise and I can't help but think that your response will help Tao Diva (and many others) have a great cruise.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, capriccio said:

@JG&Lcruisingnewbies I just want to thank you for one of the most impressive and comprehensive responses to a poster's question that I've ever read.  I'm so glad you and your family enjoyed the cruise and I can't help but think that your response will help Tao Diva (and many others) have a great cruise.

Wow

Thank you so much for your kind words. This means a great deal to me, seriously

Cruise ships are one of the best holidays to have when you have many types of disability, invisible or not. But it’s overwhelming, trying to find information on how a company / cruise line can meet your needs as I’m sure so many have experienced.

so I hope this can help anyone with similar disability/ needs to my own.

we had an amazing cruise thank you. So much so we brought some Future Cruise Credit to use on a next one with Princess. So I’m just off to book next years. This time, Greenland & Iceland 😃

• Like 4

Thanks, everyone! 

I do have a balcony, and can always bring my food there, and room service is always a back-up option as well. We usually eat in the dining rooms as much as possible. I’m glad Princess keeps one open most of the time for breakfast and sea-day lunches. 

Since we are doing a B2B, I’ll go up and book a sanctuary cabana ASAP on turn-around day (that was a great tip! thanks Buckeye10640) but for quiet deck-time, I think I’ll stick to the retreat pool area so I can adjust my position as the ship and sun move around each other. 

I really appriciate the information from “Steelers36" about the “gray line.” I didn’t realize that. I’ll call Princess to confirm the protocol for using it. We’re traveling with my elderly father who has mobility issues. This will be great for him as well.

I really like like enclosed, warmth of saunas and steam rooms. It’s very helpful and calming. Since there are no saunas or steams in the general changing areas, I’m going to spring for the Thermal Suite pass for the entire cruise. It really makes a difference in giving me the capacity to enjoy dinner and shows in the evening. 

Most of all, JG&Lcruisingnewbies, THANK YOU! It’s not often that people understand how seemingly “little” things can cause major nervous disregulation and anxiety. You put so much thought and compassion in your reply, I can tell you share many of my experiences. It’s lovely to find one of “my kind” in the “wild”. 🙂

I will absolutely ask about a table on the edge of things. Thank you SO MUCH for your thoughts on the medallion. I was overjoyed to learn about it enabled a more socially gentle muster drill but I didn’t realize it could help with navigating the ship and keeping track of your party. When disregulated, I can get confused and just start walking (the wrong way) and make myself anxious (and late) to meeting places. I also tend to zone out gazing at the waves and lose track of time. Being able to find my family (and be found) at all times will be an enormous comfort!

Thank you,
   ~TD
  • Like 2

On 9/4/2023 at 6:53 PM, Tao Diva said:

Most of all, JG&Lcruisingnewbies, THANK YOU! It’s not often that people understand how seemingly “little” things can cause major nervous disregulation and anxiety. You put so much thought and compassion in your reply, I can tell you share many of my experiences. It’s lovely to find one of “my kind” in the “wild”. 🙂

You are so welcome, thank you for your kind words 😊

Holidays can be pretty stressful for people with support needs like our own. Certainly the planning and the initial ‘settling in’ to a place/ship.

I’m so happy sharing my own experiences has been helpful & I hope you have a wonderful cruise on Sky Princess in February & and find the staff, and the tech, as wonderful as I did. 

If you have any other questions/ concerns just say. I’ll help where I can, especially in regard to support needs/ experiences on board. Like you say- it’s nice to find our kind out in the wild! 😃 

• Like 1

Sky was a very busy ship sailing in Norway with a ton of kids.  Not a huge amount of quiet or indoor spaces to watch scenery.  Suggestion about loungers under the overhang starboard side near gym is good - seldom had many people there and pool/band noise was muted there.  Jogging track is above this but not that noticable.  Chairs closest to gym have large exhaust there and kind of like sitting in a wind tunnel.

The Retreat pool tends to be very quiet, but no shade and often quite windy.

We don't do Sanctuary any more and Sky is one reason.  The only shade is in a central gazebo with none on the loungers.  Or in very expensive cabanas.  The $40pp charge is bad enough ($30 if you buy for whole cruise).  Some ships like Caribbean have some corners near the massage tables that are shady.  Second reason is this is supposed to be a quiet area.  Had one cruise where several people were talking loudly with friends (and sometimes Sanctuary host) through much of the cruise.

When there are no activities scheduled, the atrium area near the International Cafe was very quiet.  Some seating near windows in the bar were good when Vines wasn't open.  Same with area near Crown Grill on 7, although quite a bit of traffic moving through.  When Vista Lounge wasn't in use you could sometimes get in.  When shops are not open there are some comfortable seats in the middle and little traffic.

The buffet was very quiet at night.  Only aft serving locations were open so front had few people.

I don't read all the threads, just one's that I'm interested in learning about or contributing.  But this has to be one of the best threads in a long time.  Good questions and responses! Got some good info for helping my SIL on the Discovery in December.

12 hours ago, Thrak said:

You totally rock. What a totally awesome post above.

Thank you so much. Im totally blown away by the positive comments about my post. 
I was not expecting any of this!

I’m so thrilled people are finding it helpful and/or informative. I hoped that would be the case & it’s great to read that sharing my experiences can help others

thank you again 😃

• Like 2

On 9/4/2023 at 8:14 AM, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

Hi,

I’ve just disembarked Sky Princess and I also have some sensory issues & associated anxiety. I love cruising for the reasons you love them too. But know how new cruise lines and cruise ships can cause stress.

I can’t answer questions about the sanctuary/enclave but will try and give my thoughts on The Sky Princess / Princess cruise line, as a person with additional needs.

context- this was my 1st Princess Cruise ever. I travel with my husband and 10yr old daughter. We were traveling during school holidays and the ship was full.

Buffet:

Breakfast was chaos and we only went to the MDR for breakfast after experiencing that.

but what I will say about the buffet is that between 6.30 am and 10.30pm it seemed to always have something to eat. Always. All ships I’ve been on before had times where it was shut. Not so here. Which meant that popping to get a snack late at night, or mid afternoon was easy and not busy.

also, when you access the buffet, keep walking to the end. Quieter further back.

also someone was always there to take drinks orders so no jostling for space in the tea/coffee area, plates were cleared promptly so table didn’t get cluttered and I never had to hunt for cutlery. Something that stressed me out on a previous cruise. Might sound like nothing to some but when you are already in a stress heightened state something like that can send me over the edge.

embarkation:

Estrella dining room has embarkation lunch and lunch on sea days. I’d recommend use of both or have lunch after 1.30pm.

MDR:

Don’t know if this helps you but MDR you can ask for tables on the edge of a room or at least where you are up against a booth if you didn’t like people walking around and knocking into your back.

Even better, pre book times and one dining room and you can ask to have the same table every time for familiarity. And ask them if you can be moved if it’s not suitable.

Seating:

This ship didn’t feel ‘frantic’ to me very often. I’m not sure what the difference it but I think it’s down to there being many many places to sit. If you are not fussy where you sit, then you’ll find somewhere always. Take 5 during the day was great quiet place to sit. Or we picked a booth in the crown grill to play some games when the area was open for this reason during the day. Or sat by the crown grill bar just outside too in the day. I never saw a lounge cut off during the day like some ships close them when the bar is shut or no quiz/ entertainment is happening. Princess live and vista lounge were always open for seating except when the vista lounge had captain circle events.

it was often easier, and quieter, to get tea/coffee in the Princess Live cafe instead of the international cafe.

The medallion.

Game changer for me. This little bit of tech reduced stress incredibly. Here are my reasons.

I know a lot of this doesn’t matter to others and may find these things small and things that really shouldn’t bother me. But this is how my brain is. Sensory overload is horrid and this medallion cut out a lot of things that can set me off.

I had a wristband with it. Wore it the whole time. No ‘where is my cruise card’ panic. No ‘where do I put this so I don’t lose it’ by the pool because you can wear it when swimming.

your room door opens as you approach it, no digging out the card from the lanyard or pocket frantically and if you are carrying things back to your room, frees up a hand.

finding your way around. I have no sense of direction, none. I could go on the app or to a screen anytime and find my way to anywhere. For a dyspraxic like me this was fab. They had a ‘get me there’ function which clearly laid out a route to wherever you wanted. Knowing EXACTLY where you are not just the general area.

was also great for finding the nearest bathroom. No hunting for a map. I could work out where to go while in my quiet seat. Trying to decipher a map when stressed, while in a frantic lift lobby area where the maps often are? No fun at all.

you can’t always find a staff member to ask. And when I could, I can’t always get myself together enough to talk to them when stressed. Not a reflection on them. But fully down to me.

knowing where my husband and daughter were at all times-

I get anxious on my own. Husband popping to a bar and taking longer than expected would cause stress. This medallion meant I just opened the app and found where he was. I could also go somewhere on my own and always get back to husband and daughter without issue.

Or I could check ‘has my daughter left the kids club yet’ and where she was.
Daughter could always find us on the big screens around the ship too. She’s 10, has no phone, but just logged in to a big screen using her medallion and found us. she didn’t get lost & I knew it was all very Easy and reassuring for her too.

knowing they could always find me was great too. If I needed to leave where I was because it got too busy, they’d know where I went. I just sat down in a quieter area again, waited, and they’d get to me. Or I’d find them & get to them.

this isn’t an app that will show ‘they are in the buffet’. It will show you ‘in the buffet, port side, alongside the pastry shop’.

The attentiveness of staff, and the medallion was such a stress reliever for the issues I personally have that Princess have prob become my fav cruise-line to use. 

Awesome review and help for fellow cruisers. Very Helpful!