Live From Regatta 07 Sept. - 20 Sept. 2023 Alaska to California Medley - Vancouver to LA

FetaCheese

56 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

Casa Videos, Chilean Central Valley, 13.5%, nice medium to full body, rich color, very drinkable.

I think it's on PKG, but we do not have PKG.

Thanks

I am not a wine connoisseur so might just be fine  for us peons 😉

If it is on the menu  you do not need a package to order it  😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

Casa Videos, Chilean Central Valley, 13.5%, nice medium to full body, rich color, very drinkable.

I think it's on PKG, but we do not have PKG.

Name is actually Casa Vides.  On our current Vista cruise, we asked to trade the Concierge Level bottle of Champagne for a bottle of red on embarkation and Case Vides was the option.  Agree about its drinkability.  We don't have the drink package, but have purchased another bottle of same along the way as we like our reds at 14% or under.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, DJP31 said:

@FetaCheese thoroughly enjoying the updates, thanks for taking the time to pen them. 

How have you felt O deal with your wife’s allergy?  My wife is gluten free (intolerant) and sometimes it can be drama just getting GF bread. On occasion we’ve been told the dish can be modified by which they mean removing the food containing gluten. She ends up with half a dish at full price!

I must stress the above are not experiences with O -  two separate incidences at top notch European hotels that spring to mind. 

Mrs. FetaCheese here:

Each night in the cabin there is tomorrow night's dinner menu for me to select my items, either GDR or specialty restaurant, if dining there.

I turn it in to the restaurant reservations desk before 10:00 a.m. the next day.

When I arrive at the restaurant podium, the hostess, Divine, has my sheet with my choices, that they give to the waiter.

The assistant restaurant manager, Tatiana, is in charge of ensuring pax with food allergies are well taken care of.  She comes to the table and confers with me to be sure that the choices will be correct for my food allergy.  Tatiana has told me that some items including dressings contain a food allergen, so she suggests another choice.

Additionally, Tatiana has told me to consult with the restaurant manager in the terrace Cafe when dining there.

I've been very satisfied with how Oceania handles pax with food allergies.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

On 9/5/2023 at 9:17 PM, Astro Flyer said:

Thanks…this is the first time we’ve had a guarantee cabin & as I understand it an assignment could be as late as embarkation day.

We are on the 9/27 roundtrip LA coastal cruise and would be interested in your Port of LA turnaround day experience. Being in-transit your experience will be different than ours but by knowing your times it would help me plan when to arrive at the port. Your cruise & ours show a 1300 embarkation with a 1900 sailing. Being our first O cruise (interior) trying to decide when to fight Wednesday traffic driving to the port. We’d like to start our cruise as soon as possible but don’t want to stand around too long. Based on the port’s schedule Regatta will be docked at Berth 93.

Regarding the guarantee on room: I've booked a guarantee probably five times, usually inside cabin, F category.  Most were assigned about a week to ten days pre-cruise, but one was assigned a few days pre-cruise.  We've only once gotten a free upgrade by getting the guarantee, but it was from an  inside F to a veranda, so that was nice.  Most times now, it seems like Oceania will call you a week or so pre-cruise and offer you what I call an upsell - pay $XX for a veranda or whatever.  We've taken that once or twice, but normally just stick with the inside or oceanview room we've booked.  We're fine with the inside rooms.  It only takes a minute to go outside, or you can turn on the webcam channel on the room TV to see what's outside, weather, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Regarding the guarantee on room: I've booked a guarantee probably five times, usually inside cabin, F category.  Most were assigned about a week to ten days pre-cruise, but one was assigned a few days pre-cruise.  We've only once gotten a free upgrade by getting the guarantee, but it was from an  inside F to a veranda, so that was nice.  Most times now, it seems like Oceania will call you a week or so pre-cruise and offer you what I call an upsell - pay $XX for a veranda or whatever.  We've taken that once or twice, but normally just stick with the inside or oceanview room we've booked.  We're fine with the inside rooms.  It only takes a minute to go outside, or you can turn on the webcam channel on the room TV to see what's outside, weather, etc. 

Thanks for sharing your experiences particularly about possibly receiving an upsell phone call because I never answer calls from unknown numbers…13 days & counting until our first O cruise. 😃

14 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Thanks for sharing your experiences particularly about possibly receiving an upsell phone call because I never answer calls from unknown numbers…13 days & counting until our first O cruise. 😃

If you do get a call, just be aware that you shouldn't wait long to reply to it - maybe call back same day?  If they don't hear from you, I think they just go to the next person who might want to pay more money for a different room category.  If you used a travel agent, the call will likely go to him/her, so be reachable!  Have a wonderful cruise.  Regatta was the first ship we sailed on.  We love the smaller ships.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2023 at 6:48 PM, ORV said:

I wouldn't put too much stock in what someone has posted about boarding time going by cabin class. Going on almost 30 Oceania cruises and haven't really seen that to be the case. I pretty much show up when I want to and get in line and check in. NOW, on the other hand, actually having your room ready is by Cabin Class, Top Suites first, PH, then on down. Most rooms are generally ready by 3. 

Agree with ORV - Oceania may possibly give priority to people in suites when it comes to boarding.  But they don't board by room category, just clean by room category!  We do the online check in process in which we're asked when we plan to check in at the port. Last year and this year (in inside room once, veranda another) we put down 12 to 12:30.  When we board we have lunch, maybe walk around in the public areas, and sit on The Terrace and talk to others or watch the waves until our room is ready. 

• Like 1

Hi Feta

Thanks again for sharing your experience with us.  I’ve been following passageweather.com and see some heavier wave activity  in the area around Alaska, looks to be heading down the coast. Not sure where you are now, but wondering how Regatta is riding since she is a smaller ship,  I’ll be boarding her along with Astroflyer in less than 2 weeks, hoping we have no rough seas to contend with sailing the Pacific this time of year. I’m assuming all is well. Continue to enjoy. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bobolz said:

Hi Feta

Thanks again for sharing your experience with us.  I’ve been following passageweather.com and see some heavier wave activity  in the area around Alaska, looks to be heading down the coast. Not sure where you are now, but wondering how Regatta is riding since she is a smaller ship,  I’ll be boarding her along with Astroflyer in less than 2 weeks, hoping we have no rough seas to contend with sailing the Pacific this time of year. I’m assuming all is well. Continue to enjoy. 

Here’s a screenshot from the Marine Traffic site showing Regatta’s current location & track to arrive in Victoria tomorrow morning.

IMG_7230.jpeg

The staff are on the lookout and are not afraid to challenge. I was sat at the smoking area by the pool  and had taken a can of my O issued special order for my fridge Root Beer with me to enjoy. A waiter told me I wasn’t allowed to drink my own alcohol outside my cabin. 

I politely explained the situation and we had a chuckle about it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, techteach said:

@Tranquility Base You asked if it was usual to go on the outside of Vancouver Island. Yes, most cruise ships go outside. I often watch the weather on my iPad when we cruise Alaska and have noticed the wind is often greater on the inside of Vancouver Island. There is also lots of marine traffic on the inside.

Thanks for the reply.

The reason I ask is when we did 4 Alaska trips in '15, (2 north, 2 south, all from / to Vancouver on Princess) we were inside both ways.

We are doing the same next year, and I know we'll be slightly disappointed if we end up outside.

PS: Yes, (for others),  I do know there are numerous reasons why these may end up going outside and am prepared for that to happen.

I was just wondering if that was normal for Oceania as opposed to other cruise lines who may use the inside more often.

Or perhaps it's a Victoria vs Vancouver thing.

Edited by Tranquility Base

I’m on the Regatta now as well and the interesting thing is that both the cruise itinerary and yesterday’s Current indicated that we would be “cruising the inside passage” but we did not.

The weather today in Victoria is beautiful - sunny and mid-60’s.  The weather the entire trip was great. At Hubbard Glacier a few days ago, I took the small boat excursion that gets close to the glacier and it was very good - sunny day, got to within 1/2 mile of the glacier and there was lots of calving. There were only about 70 people on the small boat that can hold about 250 so it was easy to get a good place on deck to view the glacier without having to squeeze between others.  On the way back to the Regatta we cruised close to the shore and got a great look at stellar sea lions basking in the sun.

• Like 3