OMG The prices to now cruise on Royal Caribbean

39 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

I am not a TA. Find a good one! But drinks and internet are your problem. I don't need either. But $349 for a16 to 18 night transatlantic is a great price!

Do the math, tips alone for the 16 day cruise is $256 which leave $93, or less than $6 per day for the cruise. If it’s 18 days the tips $288 which leaves $61 or less than $3.40 per day for the cruise.

3 hours ago, Anotherpyr said:

Not my point.  I stated that I thought they were out of control.  My point was that the CEO salary divided by the number of employees does not come out to huge raises for everyone.  The money they’re demanding has to come from somewhere as the CEO’s salary doesn’t cover it.

The money will come from increases in car prices, reduced profits and thus lower stock prices meaning retirement funds take a hit.  But it won’t come from or be covered by CEO or upper management compensation so it’s really a moot point what they make.  Any meaningful employee wage increases will have minimal impact on their compensation.

Do they make too much money?  Yes and that should be fixed.

Does that mean every employee CAN be paid anything that’s a reasonable multiple of it?  No.  Not without some kind of caps put in place.  It would probably be easier to reduce CEO compensation than it would be to make employee wages anything comparable to current compensation ratios.

So do you want more money?  Or do you just want CEO’s to make less?

They made 10.4 billion last year in profit.  That makes for $59,770.11 per employee.   But how sustainable is that profit and what is a $0/share company worth?

And actually the number of employees makes a huge difference in CEO compensation.  Small companies cannot support those kinds of numbers.  Because they basically take a cut from every employee to pay themselves as they do not directly generate income.  If you take $100/per year from each employee to pay yourself, then the more employees the more you make.

This is basically why big bank CEO’s make millions while credit union CEO’s make thousands (Well hundred thousands).

This is almost too easy, executives get paid per employee?

For example, Amazon’s President, total compensation was $1.6 million, and its CEO made $1.3 million total compensation for 2022. With me so far? Amazon’s worldwide employee number was 1,541,000 (yes, million). No matter how hard I try, I can’t get it come to $100 per employee for either one.

4 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Number of employees have very little to do with CEO’s compensation. Here’s something to think about, This CEO’s compensation is 365 times the average worker so he makes more in one day than the average worker makes in a year. Google it if you don ‘t believe it.

You believe in capitalism? People get paid what the market bears. In a publicly owned company the CEO answers to the Board of Directors. They're not going to pay him/her millions if they're unhappy with the performance. That individual has risen to that position. It's not like Joe on the assembly line.

44 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

This is almost too easy, executives get paid per employee?

For example, Amazon’s President, total compensation was $1.6 million, and its CEO made $1.3 million total compensation for 2022. With me so far? Amazon’s worldwide employee number was 1,541,000 (yes, million). No matter how hard I try, I can’t get it come to $100 per employee for either one.

You sure those numbers are total compensation and not just salary? Sounds very low for a CEO of a multi billion dollar company.

39 minutes ago, mark290 said:

You sure those numbers are total compensation and not just salary? Sounds very low for a CEO of a multi billion dollar company.

100% correct. If you don’t believe it, Google it. Did you  know, the President and founder of Amazon is Jeff Bezos. The previous year the CEO got $200 million in stock options but that wasn’t part of the original post.

8 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

100% correct. If you don’t believe it, Google it. Did you  know, the President and founder of Amazon is Jeff Bezos. The previous year the CEO got $200 million in stock options but that wasn’t part of the original post.

Google is always right? I don't think so.

2 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

I am not a TA. Find a good one! But drinks and internet are your problem. I don't need either. But $349 for a16 to 18 night transatlantic is a great price!

There are no transatlantics for the price you are mentioning. Look at the Royal web page. And I know because I am looking for one.

54 minutes ago, mark290 said:

These numbers come from the 2022 Proxy Statement Amazon filed with the Federal Government and shared with it’s shareholders. 

9 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

There is no mention of port fees, just tips. If there are port fees, they paid you to take the cruise. Unless you stiffed them for the tips, I stand by my post

Read it again with your glasses on. I gave $15/day for port fees and I used your number for tips. Those only get you to $50/day. 

9 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

There are no transatlantics for the price you are mentioning. Look at the Royal web page. And I know because I am looking for one.

I said we are no longer just loyal to Royal. The $349/18 night is MSC. We tried them and were very pleased. 

I also said earlier to find a good travel agent. Booking through the RCL web site always costs you more than you need to pay.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, YlangYlangF9PB3E said:

It’s not just that the prices are going up, it’s that at the same time the overall quality — food, customer service, onboard amenities — are going way down. So disappointed in Royal Caribbean, it actually makes me sad.

Yes, it is a sad situation. But they don't seem to care how many of us they drive away. 

• Like 1

On 9/17/2023 at 9:06 AM, Anotherpyr said:

If they all go on strike, the UAW will exhaust its strike fund in about 12-13 weeks.  The big 3 can probably wait that out given that dealer lots have inventory.  They knew this was coming and given the current state of the car market I think both sides are prepared for a long battle.

I think It may be or could be a manufactured action.

The auto industry has become habitually hooked on the Covid originating  “Market Adjustment” sticker added to windows of cars.  Most dealers have too much inventory, 60 -90 days.  They want to pull that days in inventory to 30 to 60 so they can keep charging the adjustment.

So they can afford to slow production a few months. 

An opinion

8 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

How about Nov 13 Enchantment 14 night Barcelona to Tampa for $477. Is that cheap enough?

Oldest ship in the fleet, you have to fly to Spain to embark, and it’s over Thanksgiving… you’d have to pay me to take that cruise but everyone has different preferences.

How much is airfare to Spain anyway?

20 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Oldest ship in the fleet, you have to fly to Spain to embark, and it’s over Thanksgiving… you’d have to pay me to take that cruise but everyone has different preferences.

How much is airfare to Spain anyway?

$500. Then you are getting picky about the ship. Folks pay double to cruise at Thanksgiving. At that price they are nearly paying you to take the cruise. 

12 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Then you are getting picky about the ship.

I sure am. I don’t care for anything below Voyager class (especially for a cruise with many sea days). As I said, everyone has different preferences, which is what makes cruising great.

Definitely a cheap price for anyone who finds it appealing.

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Cheapest TA with an inside guarantee. 

IMG_1321.thumb.png.1fe34e986183a68d8e1d0d3e07821f1d.png

works out to $47 per per person 

then you add tips and flight from Barcelona. But still not a bad deal. If I had the time I’d consider it. 

Yes, another great choice for cheap skates like me! We got lucky and found a 14 night Barcelona to FFL in late October. All in we are at about $57/each night for 2 in a Boardwak balcony above the Auqa Theater. We like the location for people watching.

• Like 1

You pick one specific year of compensation that fits whatever point you think you’re making. That doesn’t tell any useful story. Look at total average comp  over 10 years. That will give you more than an anecdotal example.

No CEO of a Fortune 500 company is going to work for 1.5 million every year unless they already have taken a billion dollars of stock in comp already. 

Steve Jobs may have taken $1 in salary in one year but over the course of 10 years he received billions in comp. 

These numbers come from the 2022 Proxy Statement Amazon filed with the Federal Government and shared with it’s shareholders. 

You are so wrong. Jassy has a comp package like an nfl player. Front loaded, guaranteed money. $200mil for 10 years. With his chump change salary of $1.3, his package is over $21mil a year for the next 10 years. 

this is a more accurate portrayal of his comp package:

In 2021 Jassy received a stock grant valued at more than $200 million tied to his promotion to CEO, with the shares vesting over 10 years. “This award is designed to establish a long-term owner’s perspective and encourage bold, long-term initiatives, in the same manner that Mr. Bezos’s shares as founder incentivized him to focus on long-term, expansive growth, and is intended to represent most of Mr. Jassy’s compensation for the coming years,” Amazon’s board wrote in the new proxy