Wasn't Cruising Easier Pre-Medallion?

SargassoPirate

13 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I was in the group that was promised this remarkable new technology, only to find out that the ships that I had booked and expecting...never appeared.  The hardware was in place, but cruise cards were handed out.  

We were involved in the initial soft roll out of the medallion and the subsequent issues were very evident in that short voyage.  The medallion didn't work in most areas of the ship and it pointed out that there was a rush to implementation without regard to the negative emotional impact it would have.

Trying to put in place a system by retrofitting an existing ship and trying to make it work was a possible mistake.  In agreement with most of those that hate and refuse to use the app I would offer that the app should have been tested completely first to uncover all the possible issues instead of rushing to market and then putting band-aids on the problem.

I still offer that I don't have any issues using the app that I can't resolve myself. As cr8tiv1 has said above, the app does retain the personal information so most of the process using the app are already completed as it should be. As I have said in prior posts I do see the benefit of using the app while onboard for the features it offered.  It is also a vehicle for future features that will appeal to many passengers.

So, we have four future bookings lined up that were done completely using the app and a wonderful time aboard the Enchanted, Caribbean, Sky and Sun Princess. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Grego said:

One of the reasons that Princess went back to offer the web version of the Personalizer was to ensure that those that refuse to use the app still can board the ship and have a happy beginning to the journey.

I thought the main reason was they got so many complaints about the medallion not working properly. 

14 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I thought the main reason was they got so many complaints about the medallion not working properly. 

The medallion itself has always worked fine for us it is the app on board that sometimes has had issues. The medallion has always unlocked doors, charged for purchases and drinks

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, memoak said:

The medallion itself has always worked fine for us it is the app on board that sometimes has had issues. The medallion has always unlocked doors, charged for purchases and drinks

And it was the pre-cruise issues and complaints that caused them to give in and reinstate the personaliser.

And how did all of us ever open our cabin doors before the advent ot the personaliser or even now on ships other than Princess. 🤦‍♂️

There is some confusion between the Medallion App and the Medallion. 

The Medallion always works, except when the battery runs out.  You will always be able to open your cabin door, use the portals, tap it to get off/on the ship, and "pay" for stuff (not really you deciding what to pay for; it's the crew deciding which passenger to tap on their device and charge for the mech).  Aside from carrying it around, you cannot directly interact with the Medallion by itself.

The Medallion App is the problem.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/17/2023 at 9:49 AM, SCX22 said:

There is some confusion between the Medallion App and the Medallion. 

The Medallion always works, except when the battery runs out.  You will always be able to open your cabin door, use the portals, tap it to get off/on the ship, and "pay" for stuff (not really you deciding what to pay for; it's the crew deciding which passenger to tap on their device and charge for the mech).  Aside from carrying it around, you cannot directly interact with the Medallion by itself.

The Medallion App is the problem.

There may be some confusion, I agree. But FWIW on our last cruise the medallion didn't always work for ordering drinks/food. It did, however, always open our door. Perhaps since then they have worked out the bugs and this time it will work perfectly.