Ports on Rotterdam Southern Caribbean Seafarer

KAKcruiser

When the Rotterdam started a 9 day itinerary for the Southern Caribbean Seafarer it only had 4 ports scheduled even though the previous 10 day itinerary had 6 ports.  So you would think that to eliminate one day would eliminate one port and there would be 5 but nope - only 4.  Now, because Bonaire has limited cruise ships to one a day, that port stop has been eliminated from many sailings and there are only 3 port stops. This seems to be an inadequate number of port stops and I wonder if they are encouraging this either to save fuel by going slower or perhaps to keep people on board to spend money and increase revenue.    

• Like 2

I don't see HAL encouraging this at all - it's simply the way of the world now, with ports not wanting cruise ships or as many cruise ships.  The same thing happened to my March 2024 Rotterdam.  In our case we cruise for the ship and don't really care about the ports.  With a Retreat cabana booked, having all the sea days is just fine with me.  The fewer # of port days is precisely the reason this itinerary appealed to us.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 1

I'm not complaining about Bonaire limiting the number of ships.  I'm disappointed that HAL doesn't schedule an adequate number of ports in the first place and then doesn't replace ones that are cancelled.  I sail for the ship but also enjoy stopping at various ports.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Marine channel protections now severely restricting ship speeds too. Current Santa Barbara Channel is discussing 8-10 knots per hour. Saving the whales takes priority over "corporate" trying to save costs.

Many, many, many external factors now control the cruise industry today; not just the bean-counters in headquarters nor even passenger wishes. It is a fascinating and obviously vulnerable industry subject to whim and caprice, as much as thoughtful economic planning. 

• Like 4

I understand what you are saying but in this case HAL is still offering the Eurodam on a 10 day Southern Caribbean itinerary with 6 ports.  My question is why there is a 2 port reduction on a l day reduction cruise.  And why is a port not substituted when there is a cancellation?  And this is not a last minute issue.  They have known about the Bonaire limitation for a couple of years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KAKcruiser said:

I understand what you are saying but in this case HAL is still offering the Eurodam on a 10 day Southern Caribbean itinerary with 6 ports.  My question is why there is a 2 port reduction on a l day reduction cruise.  And why is a port not substituted when there is a cancellation?  And this is not a last minute issue.  They have known about the Bonaire limitation for a couple of years. 

The 9-day itinerary has always had 4 port days - so assuming you're booked on it, that's what you signed up for.  Now they've dropped Bonaire but have 2 days in Curacao or Aruba instead.  That's still 4 port days, even though it's only 3 different ports.  Most of their other itineraries are more port intensive, with 2-3 sea days instead of 4 sea days.  Sounds like those would be a better choice for you.  If it's not too late, cancel the cruise you booked and find one that's a better fit.  If it IS too late, there's not much to say - you're getting what you booked (4 sea days & 4 port days).  Also, with ports booked far in advance, it's not like a ship can just add something else - especially when (like in the case of the ABC islands) there's not really anything else in the close vicinity.  

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 3

I know I signed up for this.  I was not entirely happy but liked the ship.  An additional port doesn't have to be in the close vicinity. They could add either Grand Turk or Amber Cove which are the two extra ports for the 10 day cruise.  And, I know a port can't be added at the last minute but this is not a last minute issue.  They have known about the Bonaire situation for a long time.

• Like 1

We were also looking at the ABC itineraries for this Fall and quite frankly, the itineraries suck.  These itineraries have essentially turned into cruise for the ship and not the itinerary.  With 3 ports in a 9 day cruise, it isn't technically a cruise to nowhere, yet it is the closest that I have seen from HAL as a cruise to nowhere.

Adding to this the practice of HAL making itinerary changes after publishing the itinerary and HAL is quickly transitioning away from a cruise line with great itineraries imo.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

So what determines a number of ports that is "appropriate "? Totally personal opinion.  No facts, science, requirements or anything else. 

Just a thought...

For me the best thing about port days is being able to enjoy the ship while many of the other passengers are gone 😉  However, with a cabana in he Retreat that no longer matters - we have our nice quiet space and great service regardless of how many are onboard.  It's still my preference to be moving/cruising rather than sitting at a pier though.  I understand others cruise for the ports.  In those cases, an itinerary with as few days at sea as possible is the better choice.  For me (at least in the Caribbean) I wouldn't mind just sailing around without stopping for 9-11 days.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 5

15 hours ago, KAKcruiser said:

Exactly my point.  Why are they doing this?

HAL is also offering this itinerary again next year.  I guess it must be selling?  Who knows?

This is a great ABC itinerary.  Even though I have been to all these ports except ABC, I would jump on this itinerary if it were offered on a Pinnacle Class ship.

Screenshot 2023-09-11 at 9.12.00 AM.png

19 hours ago, cbr663 said:

We were also looking at the ABC itineraries for this Fall and quite frankly, the itineraries suck.  These itineraries have essentially turned into cruise for the ship and not the itinerary.  With 3 ports in a 9 day cruise, it isn't technically a cruise to nowhere, yet it is the closest that I have seen from HAL as a cruise to nowhere.

Adding to this the practice of HAL making itinerary changes after publishing the itinerary and HAL is quickly transitioning away from a cruise line with great itineraries imo.  

when you sign a cruise contract, you literally agree to an itinerary that can change at any time. we're booked on HAL's 9-day southern seafarer in february, and we're actually really excited about it. our bonaire port day has not been canceled, but if we were given more time in willemstad or oranjestad we would certainly be able to take advantage of that time because we'd still be getting what we paid for!  this obviously isn't your kind of cruise. luckily there are plenty of others that might appeal to your standards.

I think the upcoming Noordam 7-day from Vancouver to San Diego "Pacific Coast and Vineyards" wins the prize for port changes at the last minute.

Take away Monetary and Santa Barbara, and substitute San Pedro and Catalina instead.  Roll call is responding with gusto, trying make a silk purse out of this sow's ear. We did learn there is a very tiny vineyard on Santa Catalina Island. Not all is lost.

This is what we received from HAL regarding our British Isles cruise:

"Please be advised that due to operational reasons, Nieuw Statendam will no longer call to Invergordon (Inverness), Scotland; Lerwick, Shetland Islands; Stornoway, Isle of Lewis, Scotland; Zeebrugge (Brussels), Belgium; or Amsterdam, The Netherlands.

Instead, Holland has added calls to Newcastle upon Tyne, England; Kirkwall, Orkney Islands, Scotland; Douglas, Isle of Man; and Holyhead, Wales.

Additionally, the call to Liverpool, England has been moved from Sunday, June 23, 2024 to Wednesday, June 26; and the call to South Queensferry (Edinburgh), Scotland has been extended to an overnight visit and moved to Tuesday, June 18 through Wednesday, June 19."

It took us a while to figure it all out.  Had to open a map of the area to see where the ship was sailing and it still doesn't make a lot of sense as the ship is criss crossing over the same area leading me to believe that even more changes are to come.

I really like port intensive cruises and understand when changes are made. Doesn't mean I'm going to like the changes. I try not to get hyped up about certain ports because with my luck, those will be canceled. In Europe that can be incredibly disappointing. I try to shake it off and remind myself that I  am not the Captain here. Love the uniform tho, don't you?

• 3 weeks later...

They just changed the itinerary for the March 29 sailing of the Rotterdam to the ABC islands.  Bonaire was changed to April 3 and Aruba to April 1.  But, Curacao was eliminated and the ship is now going to Grand Turk.  Curacao has no ships in port on April 2 so why that wasn't scheduled is beyond me.  Grand Turk is a poor substitute for Curacao.

I was wondering if others shared my frustration with HAL as a long time cruiser. We just cancelled our Feb 24th, 21 day cruise on the Rotterdam after two ports were dropped.......the two we most wanted to visit. We love HAL but not what happened here. They offered a killer Club Orange deal and we went for it with a deposit and secured our cancellation/medical premium insurance pkg. Not one week after doing this, they dropped Bonaire and added a stay over in Curacao. A very weak move in my view since Curacao is on our second leg as well. Then, last week they dropped Key West and subbed in Grand Caymen. We have zero interest in the Caymen's. No one can tell em that HAL was unaware of the changes in these locales limiting ships because I knew about it and simply assumed we were the ship going in on those days. Really disappointing customer service in my opinion. So sad, too bad is the general response to any and all longstanding Mariner Society members.  Why do a cruise that does not hit your top two destinations and the reason for booking. We love the ships and cruising but also love very interesting destinations. Bonaire is simply brilliant place to visit and Key West was a new one for us that many have indicated to us as a must see at least once. Better than driving all the way there.

That being said, this all felt a bit like trickery or truly bad management practice. We are lucky we can recover our deposit less a $200 fee to the booking agent but we do lose our $1600 for the premium coverage package.  Better than this having all happened at the last minute. HAL will be getting an earful on this. I expect more from our first choice in cruising and this may affect their standing with this cruiser. How do we trust any itinerary that is a year out. We will become last minute bookers in an effort to ensure the itinerary will be honored. This is the 3rd cruise since Covid that has had a material itinerary change. We cancelled on and did the other because the change happened so late. Add tot that they often leave posted incorrect itinerary maps overlapping a correct itinerary. That is just plain aggravating. Which is correct??

Okay, had my vent.....thanks for your indulgence......now I can move on to beating on HAL themselves. After that I get to berate Air Hopeless (Canada) regarding a recent trip. We are learning to plan for failure when travelling with them, especially through Pearson, but in Canada in general. Not sure WJ is much better. We need more airlines competition in this country.