Wifi free anywhere on Princess ships

Candycane10

Guest Snaxmuppet
11 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I honestly don't receive any emails that can't wait a day until we reach the next port.

I certainly don't care about any sports and as far as the news goes, it's all BS anyway plus if your that concerned about it there's always the TV. 

The only conceivable thing that people could use the Wi-Fi for is if they were working on the ship. 

WOW! That is a sweeping statement that presumes to know what everyone else does and how important it is to them that they stay in touch with the people and things in their life.

OK, I get it that you don't need or want internet. That is perfectly fine and I am pleased for you... I wish I could be so disconnected as you are. But please don't assume that others are like you or have your attitude towards the internet.

I use the internet for a multitude of things that I wish to stay connected with while on a cruise, none of which is work related as I am retired. In fact, I would not cruise without it. You can have your own opinion on that but you cannot have an opinion on what use I have for the internet... that is my decision. 🙂 

On 9/14/2023 at 4:28 PM, deltahog said:

I just watched the Discovery Princess tour and I believe I still saw an Internet Cafe?  That would still count as "free internet" in response to the question, yes?  The question was not "wifi" it was "internet" I believe.

The Internet Cafe has computers that can be used by anyone, but you must have a WiFi account to get on the Internet.  It is really not much different than using your own device to get on the Internet.  We think the main advantage of using a PC in the Internet Cafe is the ability to print-out a hard copy if you need an airline boarding pass or some other doc.  But since these days, boarding passes can simply be accessed on a phone, there is less need for hard copies.  

Hank

54 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I honestly don't receive any emails that can't wait a day until we reach the next port.

I certainly don't care about any sports and as far as the news goes, it's all BS anyway plus if your that concerned about it there's always the TV. 

The only conceivable thing that people could use the Wi-Fi for is if they were working on the ship. 

I like to have my phone available so people can contact me. If I'm traveling with non-US ports, then I don't have wi-fi cellular service in ports. I don't want to spend my time in port searching for a place with free wi-fi.

41 minutes ago, NavyVeteran said:

I like to have my phone available so people can contact me. If I'm traveling with non-US ports, then I don't have wi-fi cellular service in ports. I don't want to spend my time in port searching for a place with free wi-fi.

In the last few years our cruises have been restricted to the ships in the Caribbean and we have unlimited text & voice at every port we visit so there's no searching for a Wi-Fi signal.

We are never without service for more than 2 days. 

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Most of our cruises have lots of sea days. We cruise a lot of Trans-Atlantics and Hawaii cruises with 5-6 sea days in a row at a time

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

In the last few years our cruises have been restricted to the ships in the Caribbean and we have unlimited text & voice at every port we visit so there's no searching for a Wi-Fi signal.

We are never without service for more than 2 days. 

You need to reach out a little and visit Europe, South America and Asia. LOL

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

The Internet Cafe has computers that can be used by anyone, but you must have a WiFi account to get on the Internet.  It is really not much different than using your own device to get on the Internet.  We think the main advantage of using a PC in the Internet Cafe is the ability to print-out a hard copy if you need an airline boarding pass or some other doc.  But since these days, boarding passes can simply be accessed on a phone, there is less need for hard copies.  

Hank

Add to that the advantage of a larger screen that you don’t have to burden yourself with bringing along.  Maps, photos and certain websites are better viewed on the larger PC screens than the phone or iPad I travel with.

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I’m sorry, but I have to disagree with you on this.  When we cruise we absolutely need wifi.  We leave our dog, who’s a senior, with family and we have various elderly relatives who are not in the best of health.  Our children want (actually insist) that we check in everyday to let them know how we are doing and they let us know about our dog.  I don’t care about the news or sports either but keeping in close touch with family is a must.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

I’m sorry, but I have to disagree with you on this.  When we cruise we absolutely need wifi.  We leave our dog, who’s a senior, with family and we have various elderly relatives who are not in the best of health.  Our children want (actually insist) that we check in everyday to let them know how we are doing and they let us know about our dog.  I don’t care about the news or sports either but keeping in close touch with family is a must.

Of course it's not for everyone, I never said it was. 

We don't have pets so no worry there and no kids. If anyone really wants to contact us they know they can always call, although there's not much we can do about any emergency anyway. 

I really think most people have convinced themselves that they absolutely need to stay in contact every minute of the day. 🙄

1 minute ago, MissP22 said:

We don't have pets so no worry there and no kids. If anyone really wants to contact us they know they can always call, although there's not much we can do about any emergency anyway. 

I really think most people have convinced themselves that they absolutely need to stay in contact every minute of the day. 🙄

If you had children or pets, I’m quite sure you would feel differently.  It’s a completely different dynamic when you do.  We don’t need to be in touch every minute of the day, but available should the need arise.  Also, our grandchildren love to send us notes telling us they miss Nana and Papa! lol

• Like 1

Guest Snaxmuppet

I need to see photographic evidence that my dog is alive and happy every day or else I have a nervous breakdown...!

Joking aside, dog, kids, elderly mum, family in general... they all require some contact from day to day. They do leave us alone to enjoy our holiday but it is about being available if important things happen really.

Edited by Snaxmuppet
spelling

2 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I can’t even imagine not having access to the internet while we’re on a cruise. How would I be able to post to my Live From threads and my DW be able to play her computer games during the various downtimes on the ship when we’re not eating or going to some fun activity. 😱

Good point!

• Like 1

I just went on a 16-day cruise to Hawaii with no internet while on board.  It was totally fine.  I had my family with me and left my pet in capable hands.  I had a slight dental emergency right after we left the last port in Hawaii, but I just made do until I could get back to my regular dentist a week later.  5 sea days there and 5 sea days back without internet was not a major inconvenience.  I kind of liked the enforced digital hiatus :)

I should mention that I would have been willing to do a one-day access pass, if needed.  When I travel without my family later this year, I will probably pay for a day or two so that I can keep in touch, but really don't need it for the whole trip.

21 hours ago, MissP22 said:

We don't deny ourselves much in life but internet to me service service is a complete waste of money. We can call and text others when we reach any of the ports for free so why should I have to on the ship? We can get the news via TV and I certainly can bring sufficient movies and games to entertain myself. 

I would sure like to know what people use the unlimited internet for on a vacation. 

I guess it depends on how one travels.  We are very independent travelers and routinely use cruises as part of a much longer trip (in Europe, Asia, etc).  Internet on the ship allows us to make last minute arrangements for rental cars (even in ports), check on public transportation in ports and for our land trips (after a cruise), and most important of all Zoom or Facetime with our very young grandsons.   We certainly do not need unlimited Internet, but simply an adequate amount.  

By the way, being very independent in ports makes Internet access very helpful.  We will often check the weather forecasts (for upcoming ports) and make last minute plans that best deals with the weather.  So, for example, perhaps we would be thinking of taking a fast ferry to Capri, Ischia or Procida (from the port of Naples) but the forecast is for a rainy/windy day.  We might get on the Internet and research/book a nice local restaurant for lunch and then research the best way to get to that location (walking, local bus, etc).

Just today, I booked a rental car for an upcoming port stop in St Johns (Bay of Fundy).  But, if the weather forecast looks bleak, we will likely cancel that reservation (easily done using the app on my phone) and book lunch at a restaurant that is close to the port.  Bottom line for us, is that our phones have become an integral part of our worldwide travel.

Hank

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

If you had children or pets, I’m quite sure you would feel differently.  It’s a completely different dynamic when you do.  We don’t need to be in touch every minute of the day, but available should the need arise.  Also, our grandchildren love to send us notes telling us they miss Nana and Papa! lol

Again, your situation is totally different than ours. 

There's not much that I concern myself with and if something does happen, I'll take take care of it when I return. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, memoak said:

You need to reach out a little and visit Europe, South America and Asia. LOL

Considering what it would cost me for a European trip + the flight I could very comfortable take another cruise. We've traveled to many places over the years so now we just enjoy the ship & hardly even bother getting off the ship. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MissP22 said:

If you don't have Internet, how can they call you? People can call me anytime I'm on a ship since I use Wi-Fi calling. I certainly don't want to pay for cellular service on a ship, and I normally don't pay for it in ports outside of the United States either.

9 minutes ago, NavyVeteran said:

If you don't have Internet, how can they call you? People can call me anytime I'm on a ship since I use Wi-Fi calling. I certainly don't want to pay for cellular service on a ship, and I normally don't pay for it in ports outside of the United States either.

We have international calling plans so when out of the country we can have unlimited data and calls for $10 a day

On 9/19/2023 at 2:12 PM, MissP22 said:

I would sure like to know what people use the unlimited internet for on a vacation. 

I do on your DIY while in port.  The unlimited Internet is a great way to stream YouTube videos from people who experienced the ports to get an idea of what to do.  In addition, I use the Internet to pre purchase tickets (saved us an hour line up at the Guggenheim in Bilbao and the Picasso Museum in Malaga recently), check transit schedules, check maps/directions--just to plan my day overall in port.  Don't really like booking while at home because I can never predict changes to the cruise itinerary and I may get left holding the bag if what I booked is non-refundable.  I guess this stuff matters less in the Caribbean?

That's in addition to the work I have to complete while working remotely on the ship.  Princess' retired demographic can't seem to grasp this idea.  I get so many weird stares and questions about why I'm working while on "vacation" and about how their generation actually had to show up to work.  

On 9/14/2023 at 10:28 PM, Steelers36 said:

WhatsApp and Facetime require Internet.  iMessaging can work between/among Apple smart devices.  No good to Android devices.

Hoping we can get iMessaging to work on our next sailing. Some in our party will have the internet package but others won’t.  Granted the nifty medallion is helpful now in tracking down members of our party so at least we aren’t totally lost from one another. 

• Like 1

On 9/14/2023 at 10:33 PM, Steelers36 said:

Reading your note and others reminds me.  Princess touted some time back that one of the Princess Medallion App upgrades now included a notification to the receiving guest if a message was sent using the included shipmate messaging feature.  Posters keep saying there is no notification, so I wonder if they are folks like me that gave up on the thing ages ago or is there yet another bug out there that this new wonderful feature doesn't work.

I’ll try to remember to report back after we sail. The notification should have been one of the first fixes or features they launched with the chat functionality. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, strobellayjam said:

Hoping we can get iMessaging to work on our next sailing. Some in our party will have the internet package but others won’t.  Granted the nifty medallion is helpful now in tracking down members of our party so at least we aren’t totally lost from one another. 

iMessage does require internet. At one time passengers on some cruise lines were able to use iMessage, WhatsApp and FaceTime on some ships because the ships server was allowing those apps to connect to the internet over their WiFi even without a plan. In simple terms they were getting through because of the way the server was configured. The port they used had been left open. I don’t think it was on purpose but apparently it was not simple to close that port because other traffic used it. All the ships I have been on in recent times those apps don’t work. You can try iMessage or WhatsApp over the ships WiFi without a plan but they probably won’t work.