Amsterdam Short Cruise

rakkor

Very excited this morning, we're all packed and ready for our first cruise this year. A bit nervous about our travel arrangements down to Southampton as we're getting the train. It's only a 4 day cruise and we haven't many bags, so rather than drive, and the fact that First class return tickets are cheaper than diving it was an easy choice. We'll be arriving a bit early for our 14:15 boarding time so I think we shall grab lunch in one of the many restaurants near to the Station before heading down to the Mayflower where Victoria will be waiting. Let the journey begin!

• Like 10

It's more about making our connection at Waterloo, The train was a bargain, but my ticket is only valid on the reserved train - all will be good though, we're nearly at London Bridge. Plenty of time

Edited by rakkor
  • Like 5

Yes I guess lunch was the contingency. But it only takes a few minutes to get to the Mayflower from the station, and though they probably said departure time is 4pm I bet it's a lot later. Not that you are in any danger of relying on that, the Waterloo to Southampton line appears to be working OK today so I'd expect you to be at Southampton Central for 1:30pm or so. At which point you may as way go to Mayflower.

But my personal favourite is to go to John Lewis, since The Place to Eat on the top floor has a fantastic view of your Queen. I hope you have a great time. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, rakkor said:

It's more about making our connection at Waterloo, The train was a bargain, but my ticket is only valid on the reserved train - all will be good though, we're nearly at London Bridge. Plenty of time

If your first train was late AND you allowed more than Minimum Connection Time, then your next ticket is still valid on the next service even if bought separately. Ideally see the guard as you board.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

Yes I guess lunch was the contingency. But it only takes a few minutes to get to the Mayflower from the station, and though they probably said departure time is 4pm I bet it's a lot later. Not that you are in any danger of relying on that, the Waterloo to Southampton line appears to be working OK today so I'd expect you to be at Southampton Central for 1:30pm or so. At which point you may as way go to Mayflower.

But my personal favourite is to go to John Lewis, since The Place to Eat on the top floor has a fantastic view of your Queen. I hope you have a great time. 

And also wonderful brownies.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

If your first train was late AND you allowed more than Minimum Connection Time, then your next ticket is still valid on the next service even if bought separately. Ideally see the guard as you board.

Yes, that is right, which I didn’t realise. It’s a long walk between Waterloo East and the Mainline, even with little baggage. I wonder how long you are supposed to allow.

We made the train with plenty of time to spare, and are now wending our way out of London heading South. Luggage provision First Class is a bit disappointing, My case which is the smaller of our two is safely tucked in the gap between two banks of seats, the larger one has taken up the two seats across the table from us.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, rakkor said:

We made the train with plenty of time to spare, and are now wending our way out of London heading South. Luggage provision First Class is a bit disappointing, My case which is the smaller of our two is safely tucked in the gap between two banks of seats, the larger one has taken up the two seats across the table from us.

Huge sighs of relief in this part of Bournemouth! South Western trains are really designed for cramming commuters in, even though they go to Weymouth. I don’t think First Class has noticeably more luggage space than Standard. Have you detected any fellow Cunard passengers?

I'm really pleased to find out today that the Amsterdam cruise ship ban isn't affecting our cruise. We're currently transiting the North Sea Canal expecting to dock at our berth in Amsterdam for 17:00 today

• Like 9