Manhattan cruise terminal to EWR

tweety33

Is it doable to catch a 12:28pm flight at Newark airport, on a Friday in April from Carnival Cruise terminal? It says we dock at 8am.

We always self-disembark as soon as we can. We hate to wait for a 4pm flight but don't want to stress to bad about getting there.

I have read its hard to catch a cab after crossing the street. But wondering if that is our cheapest & easiest option to get there fast, & not have to hunt for an Uber if we schedule that. 

I'm sure LGA would be easier but it's also hundreds more expensive.

We are not familiar with this area much or these airports.

If you are familiar with getting from Manhattan cruise terminal to EWR, timing, cost, and most important catching a 12:28 flight, I appreciate your comments.

Thank you!

2 minutes ago, tweety33 said:

Is it doable to catch a 12:28pm flight at Newark airport, on a Friday in April from Carnival Cruise terminal? It says we dock at 8am.

We always self-disembark as soon as we can. We hate to wait for a 4pm flight but don't want to stress to bad about getting there.

Yes. If you self disembark you should be able to make this with some time to spare. Even on a weekday you are sort of reverse commuting out of the city when most folks are coming in. 

2 minutes ago, tweety33 said:

I have read its hard to catch a cab after crossing the street. But wondering if that is our cheapest & easiest option to get there fast, & not have to hunt for an Uber if we schedule that. 

It can be. Personally I would take an Uber or Lyft to Newark. Cabs are required to take you to EWR (even though it is outside of NY) but it is on the meter. An Uber/Lyft will most likely be a much nicer car for about a similar cost. We've had luck with having an Uber actually come up to the pickup area at the pier, but mostly have been disembarking smaller ships. I wouldn't schedule an Uber in advance-- I would just get out there and call it from the app then. Will be a lot easier. 

3 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Yes. If you self disembark you should be able to make this with some time to spare. Even on a weekday you are sort of reverse commuting out of the city when most folks are coming in. 

It can be. Personally I would take an Uber or Lyft to Newark. Cabs are required to take you to EWR (even though it is outside of NY) but it is on the meter. An Uber/Lyft will most likely be a much nicer car for about a similar cost. We've had luck with having an Uber actually come up to the pickup area at the pier, but mostly have been disembarking smaller ships. I wouldn't schedule an Uber in advance-- I would just get out there and call it from the app then. Will be a lot easier. 

Thank you, that was very helpful.

Take Uber/Lyft there is still the $2.50 drop-off fee plus tolls. No toll river crossing to NJ but you have to pay the toll for the yellow cab to come back to NYC. Uber/Lyft you do not.

NYC Yellow Cab from NYC to EWR:

Standard metered fare.

Plus $20.00 Newark Surcharge.

Plus tip and tolls to and from EWR (passengers are charged for the drivers’ return tolls).

The on-screen rate message should read "Rate #3 - Newark Airport."

On 9/19/2023 at 8:40 AM, Brighton Line said:

Take Uber/Lyft there is still the $2.50 drop-off fee plus tolls. No toll river crossing to NJ but you have to pay the toll for the yellow cab to come back to NYC. Uber/Lyft you do not.

NYC Yellow Cab from NYC to EWR:

Standard metered fare.

Plus $20.00 Newark Surcharge.

Plus tip and tolls to and from EWR (passengers are charged for the drivers’ return tolls).

The on-screen rate message should read "Rate #3 - Newark Airport."

Thank you, all helpful information. Looks like we will call an uber soon as we disembark.

On 9/18/2023 at 5:40 PM, tweety33 said:

wondering if that is our cheapest & easiest option to get there fast, & not have to hunt for an Uber if we schedule that. 

Easiest option is Uber/car service.

Cheaper would be getting to NY Penn Station, NJ Transit train to Newark Airport Station, monorail (Air Train) to terminal. The NJT train ticket is needed for use on the monorail (no additional fee). NJTransit has a trip planner on its home page. Depending on traffic, train may be faster than auto.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, meadowlander said:

The NJT train ticket is needed for use on the monorail (no additional fee)

Well...no additional fee if you want to ignore the $8.25 surcharge that's invisibly loaded into the price of the NJ Transit ticket to go to or from the Newark Airport station .

3 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Well...no additional fee if you want to ignore the $8.25 surcharge that's invisibly loaded into the price of the NJ Transit ticket to go to or from the Newark Airport station .

Not ignoring anything. The surcharge to use Air Train is included in the ticket price it is not an additional fee, which is what  I posted.

Some, not from this area, believe they have to pay for use of the Air Train based on comments from those who insist there is a fee for using AirTrain.  I would not want the op to think they have to pay for a NJTransit ticket & an Air Train ticket based on your post.

Only those travelers using the EWR train station are charged and it is not a separate fee, it is included in the ticket cost. There is no pay machine or toll booth at EWR that one must patronize to use Air Train.

Edited by meadowlander