Is it true what I'm reading about British Airways?

_alan_

The first leg of our return flight on the next cruise is with British Airways, and I guess I should have read the reviews before I agreed to BA.   If BA is as bad as folks are saying online, why is Viking Air booking with them?  

Or have they "come around" of late?  Maybe turned things around?

As always post, those who have had an issue, are far more likely to post reviews than those who have had an incident free flight. So there is a distortion in the reviews.  

There have been some overall problems at airports such as flight traffic control issues and baggage handling. However, my own experience with BA both booked by Viking and on personal travel is that they are as good as any other airline and in relation to the flight, we had to be transferred to last year on American Airlines, they are far better than them. That experience was in premium economy and was one of the worst customer service examples on board the plane.

As with all airlines there can be bad days, but I would be happy Viking was using them rather than some of the other carriers, and as it would seem you’re having a transfer Heathrow, I would be happier changing flights. there than one in Amsterdam, Paris of Frankfurt. Heathrow have just launched a brilliant turn by turn app to walk transfer passengers through their journey. If you’ve any doubts book assistance! 

• Like 2

I am from the UK so, as you might imagine, I’ve had a fair amount of experience with British Airways over the last 30+ years. I must say that in all that time I’ve never had a really bad flight with BA, but until recently, never had a particularly outstanding one either.

With the exception of the cabin crew who have generally been excellent, the rest of the BA experience was always at the lower end of average. 

I started flying my transatlantics mainly with American Airlines back in 80’s because of their “more room in coach” initiative (remember that!) and because I could reserve my favourite seats in advance, which was not available on BA at that time. As a result, I never went back on BA for a long time and so probably missed the lowest of the low point that they reportedly got to, maybe a decade ago.

In the last few years, I’ve taken a few transatlantic flights with BA. I’ve been to Miami a couple of times, Barbados and a return sector with them from New York. All of the flights were fine and some I would even rate amongst my best ever flights, both in economy and business.

The upper deck of the BA A380s on the Miami route has window/aisle pairs that I would rate as the best economy seats across the Atlantic. I have also flown the Miami route in business on their 787-10 which has the new club suite. This is a world away from their old cramped business class, and was one of the best flights I’ve ever taken.

Overall, I think that the airline is turning things around and my own attitude to them has changed. I would certainly have no hesitation in using them again in future.

It would be interesting to know which flight you’re currently booked on?

• Like 3

We’re booked in Europe Business class from Venice to LHR.   According to seat guru, this business class is very cramped seating, no better than economy with boxes on the floor for audio equipment or something which will reduce legroom.  

The pitch on the seat is listed as 30 inches and the width as 17, no better than a Southwest economy seat.  The reviews on seat guru are saying those numbers are too gracious and the seats are even smaller. 

I’m hoping that there’s been a recent remodel and we will be pleasantly surprised. 

24 minutes ago, _alan_ said:

The pitch on the seat is listed as 30 inches and the width as 17, no better than a Southwest economy seat.

It's actually worse than Southwest.  Seatguru lists Southwest seat pitch between 31 to 33 inches depending on type.  Fly again on Southwest tomorrow.  6th SWA flight in 3 months.  The figures from Seatguru is accurate in regards to SWA.

Edited by Selion

my experience within Europe is that the business class seats to fly from one European  city to another are regular economy class seats but the middle seat is left open. So where you woule have a 3 seat configuration the 3 seats are there but the middle seat is left open. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, flare3192 said:

my experience within Europe is that the business class seats to fly from one European  city to another are regular economy class seats but the middle seat is left open. So where you woule have a 3 seat configuration the 3 seats are there but the middle seat is left open. 

that’s what I’m seeing as well, which is rubbish. My guess is that it’s even worse domestically within England.   Thankfully the 80 pitch seat from Heathrow to Philadelphia will allow some attempt at recovery. 

I know I sound like a whiner but when you pay for what you think is 80 pitch and you get 30, that’s a cause for concern.  I don’t fly business class often, so I’d like to be spoiled when I do luv. 

Edited by _alan_
  • Like 1

I believe most business travel within Europe has the same configuration, you certainly won't get the same as you do on long haul. I'm UK based and will only use BA if no other alternative whereas they used to be our first choice.  Had a couple of flights with awful service and there are better long haul alternatives for where we want to go.

• Like 2

Unless it is the only option, I avoid BA.  Seems like they put their oldest, grubbiest planes on the Boston-Heathrow route.  I dislike the velour seats in economy- 

-especially if you aren’t on the aisle.  Between the pitch (which is close to claustrophobic when the person in front of you reclines) and the velour, it is impossible to get out of your seat without gymnastics.  The crews seem fine but the flight conditions are less than desirable.  Lately, if we have to fly BA, we go business class but even that on these older planes is subpar.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, uktog said:

As always post, those who have had an issue, are far more likely to post reviews than those who have had an incident free flight. So there is a distortion in the reviews.  

There have been some overall problems at airports such as flight traffic control issues and baggage handling. However, my own experience with BA both booked by Viking and on personal travel is that they are as good as any other airline and in relation to the flight, we had to be transferred to last year on American Airlines, they are far better than them. That experience was in premium economy and was one of the worst customer service examples on board the plane.

As with all airlines there can be bad days, but I would be happy Viking was using them rather than some of the other carriers, and as it would seem you’re having a transfer Heathrow, I would be happier changing flights. there than one in Amsterdam, Paris of Frankfurt. Heathrow have just launched a brilliant turn by turn app to walk transfer passengers through their journey. If you’ve any doubts book assistance! 

I was going to respond, but it would have said everything you did.

I totally agree!

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, _alan_ said:

that’s what I’m seeing as well, which is rubbish. My guess is that it’s even worse domestically within England.   Thankfully the 80 pitch seat from Heathrow to Philadelphia will allow some attempt at recovery. 

I know I sound like a whiner but when you pay for what you think is 80 pitch and you get 30, that’s a cause for concern.  I don’t fly business class often, so I’d like to be spoiled when I do luv. 

As has previously been stated almost all major European airlines have the 3-3 seat layout, with the middle seat blocked in business. BA have Club Europe (CE) for short haul and Club World (CW)for long haul. CW is infinitely better than CE, however there are two different classes of seat within CW itself.  If you are lucky then you will have the club suite seating, whereas if you’re unlucky you will have the old zig zag style seating. The seat itself in the older set up is fine, but either you or your partner may have to step over the person adjacent.

Being UK based the majority of our flights are with BA, we will fly with them on our next Viking cruise, and we have never had any major issues

• Like 2

3 hours ago, _alan_ said:

Its not rubbish and is pretty standard across all European flights.  I dont know why people get obsessed about pitch on these short flights.  I have a spinal disability so am very sensitive to seat comfort and I have absolutely no issue with European flights especially BA.  

• Like 1

1. Everybody who pays attention knows that European business class is not the same as international business class.

2. BA has gone through phases of being good and being terrible. Right now I consider it not great. I don't like the way that they deal with seat assignment. Sometimes a "BA" flight is really a codeshare and booking the same flight with another airline is better.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SJD117 said:

Turkish Airlines last week, British Airways this week. Which airline will be next?

Rattle off the list of airlines.  All have their faults.  One should not be traveling in this post Covid world if your expectations are too high.  

• Like 1

Not to pile on, but add to what others have said... economy seats with the middle seat blocked is THE standard for all EU/UK continental business configurations. Nothing special to BA.

Sometimes the food and beverage service gets an uptick over regular economy but not always. (KLM/AF tend to do so more than others in my experience.)

EU "business class" is almost always filled exclusively with passengers connecting to international flights. That's why it exists, so they don't have to explain to everyone buying a business ticket to Europe that they will sit in economy when they connect. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cmaasfamily said:

Not to pile on, but add to what others have said... economy seats with the middle seat blocked is THE standard for all EU/UK continental business configurations. Nothing special to BA.

Sometimes the food and beverage service gets an uptick over regular economy but not always. (KLM/AF tend to do so more than others in my experience.)

EU "business class" is almost always filled exclusively with passengers connecting to international flights. That's why it exists, so they don't have to explain to everyone buying a business ticket to Europe that they will sit in economy when they connect. 

Economy seats with the middle seat blocked-off is also what we experienced on a US/Canada flight. We flew from Sydney to DFW on a Qantas A-380 in Business, then American Airlines for 4.5 hrs to Vancouver, with the middle seat blocked off.

Therefore, in our experience, US domestic First/Business is no different than the BA Business flights in UK/Europe.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Therefore, in our experience, US domestic First/Business is no different than the BA Business flights in UK/Europe.

Our experience is quite different.  Because we have a regional airport, we always have to fly to an international airport as a hub, domestically, to travel abroad. (Atlanta, Denver, or DFW usually),  We always travel in business, and always have either a 2-2 or 1-2 seat configuration, with regular Business class seats and legroom(!).  Never once have had and economy type row with 3-3 with middle seat empty.  I’m really sorry you did!

Edited by SantaFe1
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, photopro2 said:

With the exception of the cabin crew who have generally been excellent, the rest of the BA experience was always at the lower end of average. 

I agree with this - maybe the rest of the BA experience being poor not just lower end of average.

Last minute cancellations with no provision for rebooking (my favorite one was "one of your legs is cancelled" - well we kind of need all legs or it's not a doable flight), miserable business class on some planes (I would have rather been in economy).

Every flight through Heathrow has been a poor experience for us. We absolutely try to avoid it even though we can get direct flights home from there.

16 hours ago, PRH said:

Unless it is the only option, I avoid BA.  Seems like they put their oldest, grubbiest planes on the Boston-Heathrow route.  I dislike the velour seats in economy- 

-especially if you aren’t on the aisle.  Between the pitch (which is close to claustrophobic when the person in front of you reclines) and the velour, it is impossible to get out of your seat without gymnastics.  The crews seem fine but the flight conditions are less than desirable.  Lately, if we have to fly BA, we go business class but even that on these older planes is subpar.

We did the Nile river cruise with Viking in January. We flew BA. Our Club World business class seats BOS-LHR were lie-flat beds, each in its own little compartment. Dinner in the Airport Lounge was great and we boarded the plane directly from the lounge. Our layover was 6 hours and then onto Cairo in Club Europe Business seats, with the tray over the middle seats. A 5 hour flight (like flying to LAX) but at least were served a meal.

I just booked flights for British Isles Explorer in the Spring. Business class travel. Booking it myself was significantly cheaper than booking through Viking. After I booked the flights (and before I actually plunked down the credit card card), I was then informed that I would have to pay even more money to choose my seats at booking. Thank you, I would like to know earlier on in the process that there would be a 3 digit fee per leg, per seat for the privilege of choosing my seat in business class.

• Like 2

This thread should be titled "Is it true that European aircraft are configured differently to US Domestic"

We've been flying BA almost exclusively for the last 20 years, simply because there's no easier way to get from a US city to our Scottish home near Aberdeen. They also have a great rewards program that lets us get 2 business class tickets using only the miles for 1 each year when we spend enough on our BA Visa card.

Most of the issues we've encountered have been related to Heathrow, not BA. There have been a frustrating number of flight cancellations and associated re-bookings, especially in the past 3 years, and the T5 connection experience always fills me with dread.

When connecting at T5 - unless from a UK domestic flight - passengers must travel through at least security screening, and sometimes immigration also depending on the onward destination. In truth this always seems worse than it ends up being, especially if you have "Fast Track" as a result of being a Club World passenger. Keep your eyes open for the Fast Track signs, expect to go through security screening and remember you're not in America. Liquids go in a smaller bag than they do for the TSA and there's no pre-check.

We're always seated in one of the 3 T5 lounges in under 45 minutes from arrival, more typically 25, and we once landed at T3, transferred to T5, and were in the lounge right at 60 minutes.

Unless arriving from a UK domestic flight do not accept a connection time of less than 2hrs 30mins for simple peace of mind at Heathrow T5. Use extra time to relax in one of the lounges. To get the circulation flowing after being still on a long flight, considering walking from concourse to concourse instead of taking the shuttle train using one of the little known tunnels.

Club World, especially in the newly remodeled Club Suites, is a great travel experience. I'm 6'3" and easily lie flat on the bed. There's privacy with the door shut, the crew are outstanding, and the food is excellent.

• Like 4