San Juan embarkation

cheryl8503

10 minutes ago, Swells1 said:

Does having DBE grant an earlier embarkation? 

Yes.  Sea Rover status, which includes the DBE perks grants "priority embarkation" which has always been right after rockstar and those who purchased the Romance at Sea packge.

• Like 1

I chose 2:00PM for our embarkation time. We are non rockstars. This is our third time sailing from San Juan. Yes you can drop off luggage earlier and enjoy the city. We’ve done it both times we sailed previously. We head down and grab some last minute items from the store, have breakfast and then work our way to the ship. It’s the most chill embarkation you will have. 

Edited by JandPB
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/21/2023 at 8:25 PM, JandPB said:

I chose 2:00PM for our embarkation time. We are non rockstars. This is our third time sailing from San Juan. Yes you can drop off luggage earlier and enjoy the city. We’ve done it both times we sailed previously. We head down and grab some last minute items from the store, have breakfast and then work our way to the ship. It’s the most chill embarkation you will have. 

You drop luggage off at the port and they hold it for you? We are flying in at 6:30am and could be there as early as 7:30am. Any idea of how early the luggage porters are available to hold luggage? TIA

11 minutes ago, Jane T said:

You drop luggage off at the port and they hold it for you? We are flying in at 6:30am and could be there as early as 7:30am. Any idea of how early the luggage porters are available to hold luggage? TIA

I would say 10:30-11 at the earliest. People will be disembarking til 10:45. 

37 minutes ago, MeganGC1983 said:

I would say 10:30-11 at the earliest. People will be disembarking til 10:45. 

Megan, I have followed your lives and am interested in booking my first VV cruise.  Any tips?  I am Diamond Plus on Royal and Diamond on Carnival, so hope that lets me unlock the Deep Blue Extras.  

• Like 1

Is there anything to do around the port area? Hotel checkout is noon (and the crazy discount I got means no late checkout), so we’re going to have about an hour and a half to kill before our 1:45pm checkin time. 

1 hour ago, lazydayz said:

Megan, I have followed your lives and am interested in booking my first VV cruise.  Any tips?  I am Diamond Plus on Royal and Diamond on Carnival, so hope that lets me unlock the Deep Blue Extras.  

Make sure you submit the status match by Dec. 31st. I would also find a “gold tier first mate” for extra sailor’s loot to spend on board. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Swells1 said:

Is there anything to do around the port area? Hotel checkout is noon (and the crazy discount I got means no late checkout), so we’re going to have about an hour and a half to kill before our 1:45pm checkin time. 

There will be shopping around the pier area with everything from art to jewelry for sale. There’s a CVS and a Walgreens right across from the pier to grab soda or wine. The forts are right there for site seeing. Also, a food truck market further down. And lots of good places to eat. Barrachina is the home of the pina colada. Umbrella St. is always a must see. 

• Like 1

On 10/17/2023 at 3:41 PM, Swells1 said:

A little further down, there are lots of vendors for souvenirs.  You’ll also find knockoff purses if that’s of interest to you. 

• Like 1

On 10/17/2023 at 6:41 PM, Swells1 said:

Viejo San Juan is one of the best places for things to do walking distance from a cruise port. 

Tons of bars/restaurants/shops plus two forts run by the national parks service

• Like 1

On 10/17/2023 at 6:41 PM, Swells1 said:

What sort of crazy hotel discount did you get? I'm staying in Condado (Coral Princess) for a couple of nights, since I was unable to find anything reasonably priced downtown, got a good price and they have very good ratings. Not a big deal since Uber is dirt cheap.

Edited by MisterBill99

Just now, MisterBill99 said:

What sort of crazy hotel discount did you get? I'm staying in Condado for a couple of nights, since I was unable to find anything reasonably priced downtown. Not a big deal since Uber is dirt cheap.

I’ve been a Hilton employee for over 25 years. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Antie_Moe said:

What terminal does VV embark at, Old San Juan or Pan American? The information I am reading is not specific. Thx!

From what I’ve seen it’s in OSJ. Hoping that’s accurate as we plan on walking the three blocks to the pier. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/24/2023 at 10:48 AM, 3eaglesfam said:

I spoke to someone at VV.  They use Pier 4 at the port in Old San Juana 

Perfect. 
We’re staying just a short walk from the pier right in OSJ. We’re going down Wednesday and staying for a few days before. We chose Wednesday because we could get nonstop flights from Cleveland down and fortunately can get nonstops to Cleveland back after the cruise. Can’t wait for it to get here. Have to get through basketball season first. First game Friday. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JandPB said:

Perfect. 
We’re staying just a short walk from the pier right in OSJ. 

I was going to ask - what's the best and most reasonable place to stay in SJ. I understand transportation to the pier is hard to find, is that true?

1 hour ago, Antie_Moe said:

I was going to ask - what's the best and most reasonable place to stay in SJ. I understand transportation to the pier is hard to find, is that true?

What makes you think transportation to the pier is difficult to find? We're planning to use Uber, and a random check shows plenty of cars only 2 minutes from the hotel we're staying at with a $20 fare to the Pier.