feedback requested Carnival NYC gurus

havanadaydreaming

My wife and I are sailing our first cruise out of NYC next month and i'd like a little advice from the maestros, por favor.  We have sailed many times out of FL and San Juan but this is our first departure from NYC.  We are arriving the day before to Newark airport, midday i think.  

Where would you stay?  near EWR, with an airport shuttle? Go closer to the Hudson, like Hoboken?  or go all the way to the city?   (would love to keep it under $300 total for the night) 

How would you get to the port?   I'm going to research private transportation from NJ.  Any idea what that "might" run?  just ballpark.  

Any tips for the NYC Carnival cruise terminal?  most terminals are pretty easy breezy but i have been to a couple in my life that i have a tip or two for newbies.  

We are not looking to rush to the ship despite my wife having Platinum status.  we are going to be on the ship for 12 nt and im in noooooo rush to board.  i wouldnt mind getting a few slices of local pizza night before.  Sadly, my 2nd favorite pizza in the USA has closed (7 Star, in Hoboken) 

4 hours ago, havanadaydreaming said:

Where would you stay?  near EWR, with an airport shuttle? Go closer to the Hudson, like Hoboken?  or go all the way to the city?   (would love to keep it under $300 total for the night) 

Carnival departs from Midtown Manhattan so you are going to have to make the trek into the City at some point. $300 can still get you something decent in Manhattan on the right days-- a 3 or possibly 4 star hotel. And then you have the added benefit of all the City has to offer in terms of sightseeing and restaurants as well as being very close to the ship the next day. I would see if something in Times Square or Midtown fits your budget first and then push out to Jersey only if you had to. 

How would you get to the port?   I'm going to research private transportation from NJ.  Any idea what that "might" run?  just ballpark.  

An UberX from EWR to Midtown is going to be about $65 all in including tolls and taxes. I would check Lyft too. You can of course book a car service but it will cost a bit more. Don't take a taxi from EWR-- New Jersey taxis are generally awful. 

Any tips for the NYC Carnival cruise terminal?  most terminals are pretty easy breezy but i have been to a couple in my life that i have a tip or two for newbies.

Carnival doesn't have a dedicated terminal-- you'll be departing from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal on the West Side. Its set up a lot like an airport with arrival and departure levels-- you'll be dropped off and drop your luggage like any other cruise terminal and then head up to check in. 

9 hours ago, havanadaydreaming said:

EWR area hotels would be my last choice based on their isolated location & limited dining options. Hotels in downtown Newark or on International Blvd in Elizabeth, NJ are better choices than EWR area hotels.

The views of lower Manhattan you will have from Jersey City & Weehawken are spectacular. Port Imperial ferry is located in Weehawken and docks close to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. If you can handle your luggage on public transit, PATH train service is available from Hoboken & Jersey City to 33rd Street in NYC, then taxi to MCT. From Newark public transit via NJTransit train from Newark Penn Station or EWR train station (more expensive) to NY Penn Station is available.

Edited by meadowlander

great feedback.  we were debating going all the way to Times Square area and reducing the total number of rentals/shuttles needed for the 24 hours.  

im a big time Jimmy Buffett fan and i am leaning towards booking Margaritaville Times Square.  Even if its "meh" i'll be more than content hanging in that environment and maybe catching a broadway show.  

On 9/20/2023 at 11:12 AM, havanadaydreaming said:

My wife and I are sailing our first cruise out of NYC next month * * * Where would you stay? near EWR, with an airport shuttle? Go closer to the Hudson, like Hoboken? or go all the way to the city? (would love to keep it under $300 total for the night)

It really impossible to give good advice without knowing what is important to you. All of the choices are practicable, and each has it own set of pros and cons. To this question a bit more structure, consider what you plan to do when you arrive at the hotel (which may also relate to the timing of your flights). Are you looking for just a good night's and nothing more beyond hotel dining? Is cheap the primary goal? Are you looking to be somewhere where you can walk outside the hotel, a bit of exercise, find a nice restaurant. Are you looking to be in the heart of midtown Manhattan, perhaps party all night at some club? Give us an idea of what is both practicable time-wise and your preferences.