choosing roundtrip to NZ

I am contemplating a cruise to NZ from Australia and came up with these three options.

1) Celebrity Edge, 13 nights from Nov 18-December 1, 2024. Sydney, 2 days at sea, Bay of Islands, Tauranga, Auckland, Napier, Picton, Lyttelton, Dunedin, Fjords, 2 days at sea, Sydney.

2) Diamond Princess, 14 nights from October 26-November 11, 2024. Melbourne, 4 days at sea, Auckland, Tauranga, day at sea, Wellington, Lyttelton, Port Chalmers, Fjords, 2 days at sea, Melbourne

3) Diamond Princess, 14 nights from January 13-27, 2025. Brisbane, 3 days at sea, Fjords, Port Chalmers, at sea, Wellington, Napier, Tauranga, Auckland, 3 days at sea, Brisbane.

The Celebrity's cruise is ~ 50% more expensive than Princess's.

What I need help with are these questions

a) Why would Diamond spend 4 days at sea out but only 2 days in? Would they be seeking a less "wavy" path in Tasmanian sea?

b) Would the January cruise be much more crowdy (in terms of both ship and ports) than the other two?

c) Is it OK to visit NZ in Spring with those specific ports of call, or a much better experience would be in Summer (i.e., January)?

d) Are Princess's itineraries in NZ worse than Celebrity's?

DW has mobility limitations (no stairs), if this makes any difference.

I would appreciate inputs and thoughts of experts.

Thanks in advance

It's a lot further from Melbourne to Auckland than from the fjords to Melbourne.

Avoid January. It's peak peak school holiday time.

Have you looked at one way cruises?

Fly back to Australia and save two or more days at sea.Have a look at Holland America. Prices comparable to Princess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think you have a good shortlist, and don't see any need to steer in a different direction.

a) It will be a direct path unless the weather is particularly nasty. It is a bit misleading for distance as Melbourne to Auckland is a longer distance by sea than Brisbane to the fjords. When departing Melbourne, you are heading south for many hours before turning toward NZ. It could also be an extra day to align with available berths in the ports - which can be a real juggle for the schedulers.

b) Yes & no. School holidays will mean more kids aboard. The ports will be a bit busier, but NZ cities are not like New York.

c) More chance of the October cruise missing the fjords due to weather. The weather could also be perfect, just a bit less probable.

d) Not worse, but Edge does have extra ports. Edge is a larger ship to make your way around, and Bay of Islands is a tender port if they are both an issue for your mobility. It is a pity that Edge doesn't visit Wellington, which is the capital city of NZ.

The round trips are great if you like your sea days. The one-way trips give the option of doing a bit of land travel in each country, and it is just as easy to fly into/out of Auckland as it is for Sydney.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruiser3775 said:

Have you looked at one way cruises?

Yes, but unfortunately either only North island is covered (e.g., Royal Princess), or a luxury line (Viking, Silversea and the likes), which not only too expensive but also using a sort of a gangway with stairs. The only exception is indeed HAL's Westerdam, but it sails there in January and its itinerary includes Melbourne and Hobart, the two places we are planning to visit on ourselves..

31 minutes ago, voyager1964 said:

Yes, but unfortunately either only North island is covered (e.g., Royal Princess), or a luxury line (Viking, Silversea and the likes), which not only too expensive but also using a sort of a gangway with stairs. The only exception is indeed HAL's Westerdam, but it sails there in January and its itinerary includes Melbourne and Hobart, the two places we are planning to visit on ourselves..

One extra possibility in late November is our "local" Carnival Corp brand - P&O Australia. Personally, it is 2nd prize vs Princess, but this one is mid-late November. Pacific Adventure is the former Golden Princess. I haven't compared prices, and this will be in $AU, but you do get to cruise out under the bridge which is becoming rarer with the ships getting larger. Not so much a recommendation, but food for thought .... | Kiwi Adventure | New Zealand Cruises | P&O Cruises Australia (pocruises.com.au)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, arxcards said:

I think you have a good shortlist, and don't see any need to steer in a different direction.

a) It will be a direct path unless the weather is particularly nasty. It is a bit misleading for distance as Melbourne to Auckland is a longer distance by sea than Brisbane to the fjords. When departing Melbourne, you are heading south for many hours before turning toward NZ. It could also be an extra day to align with available berths in the ports - which can be a real juggle for the schedulers.

b) Yes & no. School holidays will mean more kids aboard. The ports will be a bit busier, but NZ cities are not like New York.

c) More chance of the October cruise missing the fjords due to weather. The weather could also be perfect, just a bit less probable.

d) Not worse, but Edge does have extra ports. Edge is a larger ship to make your way around, and Bay of Islands is a tender port if they are both an issue for your mobility. It is a pity that Edge doesn't visit Wellington, which is the capital city of NZ.

The round trips are great if you like your sea days. The one-way trips give the option of doing a bit of land travel in each country, and it is just as easy to fly into/out of Auckland as it is for Sydney.

The Edge does go to Wellington , we are on the Sydney to Auckland cruise February 4th and it definitely goes to Wellington. 

1 minute ago, Delrae50 said:

The Edge does go to Wellington , we are on the Sydney to Auckland cruise February 4th and it definitely goes to Wellington. 

Awesome.

The Sydney round trip Edge cruise shortlisted in the first post (18 November) definitely doesn't go to Wellington.

Princess has always done 13 night voyages from Melb, however they have now decided to make them 14 nights and spend 4 days between Auckland and Melb, far more economical for fuel.  From Melb you have to go over the top tip of NZ before heading SE to Auckland (or vice versa if going the other way around)  so it is a long way. 

In the past they have always had to go at full speed and depart Auckland at 2.30pm to get back on time which always upset some passengers who couldn't understand why they couldn't stay longer in Auckland.  No matter how much the captain tried to explain it on our last voyage there were disgruntled people.  If anything goes amiss eg wayward sailors needing rescuing or medivacs then this really caused problems in getting home in time.

Hopefully we may now visit the Bay of Islands more often.

Edited by Ondine
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

An update:

Contemplating a fourth option with Royal Princess from Sydney in early December 2024 (from 7th to 21st).

Sydney

3 days at sea

Bay of Islands

Auckland

Tauranga

Day at sea

Wellington

Lyttelton

Port Chalmers

Fjords

2 days at sea

Sydney

What do you think about this option as compared to the previous three? Will this sailing/ports of call be crowdy?

Thanks!

On 9/22/2023 at 1:03 PM, arxcards said:

One extra possibility in late November is our "local" Carnival Corp brand - P&O Australia. Personally, it is 2nd prize vs Princess, but this one is mid-late November. Pacific Adventure is the former Golden Princess. I haven't compared prices, and this will be in $AU, but you do get to cruise out under the bridge which is becoming rarer with the ships getting larger. Not so much a recommendation, but food for thought .... | Kiwi Adventure | New Zealand Cruises | P&O Cruises Australia (pocruises.com.au)

The Pacific Adventure sails from OPT on the cruise you have linked Geoff.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, voyager1964 said:

An update:

Contemplating a fourth option with Royal Princess from Sydney in early December 2024 (from 7th to 21st).

Sydney

3 days at sea

Bay of Islands

Auckland

Tauranga

Day at sea

Wellington

Lyttelton

Port Chalmers

Fjords

2 days at sea

Sydney

What do you think about this option as compared to the previous three? Will this sailing/ports of call be crowdy?

Thanks!

A good option, comparable with how busy the ship & ports will be. The busiest bit will be Sydney airport to fly home after the cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Dang, I guess I should have checked. I just presumed OPT would be so busy in cruise season. Thanks for correcting Leigh.

I actually though she was too big to fit under the bridge so was checking that. Adventure fits by two metres evidently. She is the tallest ship to go under. I have only been under the bridge on the old Pacific Pearl and she didn't look as if she missed by much. 😀

Adventure has a mixture of White Bay and OPT arrivals/departures.

25 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I actually though she was too big to fit under the bridge so was checking that. Adventure fits by two metres evidently. She is the tallest ship to go under. I have only been under the bridge on the old Pacific Pearl and she didn't look as if she missed by much. 😀

Adventure has a mixture of White Bay and OPT arrivals/departures.

Yes, they chopped down the exhaust cowl from Golden Princess to allow Pacific Adventure to be given enough clearance to transit under the bridge. I believe that in times of peak tides that her movement under the bridge can be restricted. Generally over the peak summer months, she cruises out of White Bay.

• Like 1

As a slightly different perspective, I'd be seriously contemplating option #3.

Option #3 is the only cruise going south to north.  As such, it will see you enter Milford Sound around dawn, when it's at its most majestic.  Don't get me wrong, the Sounds are magnificent at any time of the day, but Milford at dawn is extra special.

North to South cruises will see you pass through Milford as your last itinerary item before leaving NZ, usually mid-late afternoon.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vader1111 said:

Option #3 is the only cruise going south to north.  As such, it will see you enter Milford Sound around dawn, when it's at its most majestic.  Don't get me wrong, the Sounds are magnificent at any time of the day, but Milford at dawn is extra special.

Agree 100% with that. Given a choice, dawn entry into Milford Sound is just special. 

The sounds are never a given. We missed them in December because of wind but did get in on a Celebrity cruise in January a few years earlier (and it was early morning, very cold on deck but glorious). 

Personally I prefer the OPT as is it much easier to get to than White Bay. We are cruising back from NZ in December and unfortunately will dock at White Bay.

Wellington is great to visit and I would recommend it if possible (not a deal breaker though). 

12 hours ago, Vader1111 said:

As a slightly different perspective, I'd be seriously contemplating option #3.

North to South cruises will see you pass through Milford as your last itinerary item before leaving NZ, usually mid-late afternoon.

Could you please clarify this as the itinerary shows the Fjords from 7 am to 4 pm for both option 1 and 3...

2 hours ago, voyager1964 said:

Could you please clarify this as the itinerary shows the Fjords from 7 am to 4 pm for both option 1 and 3...

There are 5 fiords, and you will cruise through at least some of them. If you are doing NZ from south to North, Milford Sound is the first fjord you will enter in the morning, usually ending with Dusky Sound in the afternoon. When going North to South, Dusky Sound is the first fjord, Milford Sound is the last.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, voyager1964 said:

Typically cruises go through three fiords - Dusky Sound, Doubtful Sound and Milford Sound, with some coastal cruising between them. It takes all day to go through them all. Option 1 will enter Dusky Sound first thing in the morning and finish with Milford Sound late afternoon. Option 3 starts with Milford Sound and ends when the ship exits Dusky Sound.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Or if the weather is not conducive, the Fiords will be skipped all together.

We've been very lucky then. Four NZ cruises, most at different times of the year, and almost perfect conditions for Fiordland cruising each time. The last one, on Westerdam over Christmas, was the best. For some reason the air seemed a lot clearer than usual and I spotted distant mountain ranges I'd never seen before.

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We've been very lucky then. Four NZ cruises, most at different times of the year, and almost perfect conditions for Fiordland cruising each time. The last one, on Westerdam over Christmas, was the best. For some reason the air seemed a lot clearer than usual and I spotted distant mountain ranges I'd never seen before.

We have never missed them either but I know some that have missed them numerous times.

17 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

We have never missed them either but I know some that have missed them numerous times.

I've noticed that cruises earlier than mid-December are more at risk of missing them. NZ weather often doesn't play nice until after Christmas. 

• Like 1