Burger Station opens

Stickman1990

5 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

I’ll bite - so why would you have to do that?

Why would you have assumed that Explora Journeys offering would be the same as MSCs Yacht Club? Why would they replicate what they already offer? 

3 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

What lines are 6 Star? Who certifies them as such? I suspect it’s just a marketing term….

So what rankings do you put the luxury lines at - and why? 

To be fair, I'd appreciate responses ideally from individuals who have experienced EJ sailing when addressing questions. It's apparent from the diverse comments that people have varied preferences and expectations with or without kids, akin to some choosing to scale mountains on weekends while others prefer to climb on the couch.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

I’ll bite - so why would you have to do that?

Why would you have assumed that Explora Journeys offering would be the same as MSCs Yacht Club? Why would they replicate what they already offer? 

There is nothing mind boggling about needing ear plugs to deafen the unceasing complaining that will spring forth from my DW. It will be all my fault. Non stop moaning.

Not assuming, we were told it will be all Yacht Club by future cruise consultants without the “wider audience” on ships designed to get to exotic ports the mega ships cannot get to .

• Haha 2

Just now, morpheusofthesea said:

There is nothing mind boggling about needing ear plugs to deafen the unceasing complaining that will spring forth from my DW. It will be all my fault. Non stop moaning.

Not assuming, we were told it will be all Yacht Club by future cruise consultants without the “wider audience” on ships designed to get to exotic ports the mega ships cannot get to .

Future cruise consultants rarely know what’s actually happening- they are sales and targets driven. They tell you what they believe you want to hear. They are only one notch above the deck cleaner in terms of access to strategy 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, uktog said:

Future cruise consultants rarely know what’s actually happening- they are sales and targets driven. They tell you what they believe you want to hear. They are only one notch above the deck cleaner in terms of access to strategy 

At the time no one had any information other than the company,MSC.

FCC just repeat what their managers tell them.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gary9267 said:

To be fair, I'd appreciate responses ideally from individuals who have experienced EJ sailing when addressing questions.

I disembarked Explora 1 last Monday after a 16 night cruise so I guess that qualifies me to respond then 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do think some folks are posting their “wish list” instead of facts.  My blog makes it clear that there is nothing “yacht club” about EJ1.  This is a different company, different philosophy, and they do things their way… which is much different then the MSC Yacht Club.

We have yet to meet a crew member who has ever worked on MSC much less in the YC.

As to family oriented, that would be a stretch.  Club Neptune is cute, but just a lone facility for kids.  Consider that there is nowhere to get dinner until 6:30pm, which is quite late for many children.  I think most kids would rather be on MSC, RCI, Disney or Carnival.  We do know that they are expecting around 70 kids during the Christmas holidays and that will be a real test.

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for your valuable feedback, Hank. Are you planning to make another reservation with Explora for a cruise? It's possible that there's no such thing as a truly bad cruise, but occasionally, it might be about finding the cruise that suits our own preferences. 

We won’t be rushing to EJ with our own grandkids and will find out soon enough if the EJ experience works for us.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Gary9267 said:

Thank you for your valuable feedback, Hank. Are you planning to make another reservation with Explora for a cruise? It's possible that there's no such thing as a truly bad cruise, but occasionally, it might be about finding the cruise that suits our own preferences. 

We won’t be rushing to EJ with our own grandkids and will find out soon enough if the EJ experience works for us.

At this time, we are not booking any future EJ cruises.  Given the right itinerary and price, we would happily come back on EJ.  We already have future bookings with Seabourn, Oceania, Princess and Silverseas, and we will likely hold off with EJ until they demonstrate the ability to follow through on scheduled itineraries without constant changes.

EJ is new and somewhat unique, and even some Senior staff admit it is a work in progress.  There is a lot to like about this line, but there are still issues that will need to be resolved.  Trying to offer a very classy product and maintain a high degree of onboard discretion ( for lack of a better term) can be a two edged sword.  For example, offering an expensive and exclusive chef led tour might be nice, but does not work unless passengers are made aware that such a tour exists.  

Even basic signage is an issue.  You will find no signs directing you to a guest relations desk, tour desk, etc.  You either must ask or simply know.  You could walk directly past the dining reservations desk and not have a clue as to its function.  They want to avoid tacky signage, but then folks can be left wandering without any idea where to go.  This is minor stuff that will get resolved, but at this price point they need to quickly get it right.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@The German Guys and @Stickman1990

They are advertising all day dining, and marketing as a product for multi-generational cruising, I don't think it is a tall order to expect more afternoon dining options. 

I am guessing that when the ship is more fully booked, or there are more children on board during school holiday sailing that there will be more options. 

13 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Room Service….

Plus Crema and Afternoon Tea

I certainly didn’t spot anyone starving on our recent Explora cruise

Eat at 2pm and then again at 6.30pm if those options for in between times don’t appeal 

I had a chat with our Explora DSM at a trade show yesterday. They have heard the "complaints" about food not being available between 2:00 and 5:00, and plans are afoot to address that issue.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

I had a chat with our Explora DSM at a trade show yesterday. They have heard the "complaints" about food not being available between 2:00 and 5:00, and plans are afoot to address that issue.

The solution would be simple, for mere mortals, but apparently no decision making is easy for EJ.  They merely need to extend the opening hours of the Emporium.  They have already made an adjustment by keeping the burger area open(on port days) until 3:30.  

Management must always deal with crew working hours. And how to allocate resources for longer opening times.  

Hank

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, aururab said:

@The German Guys and @Stickman1990

They are advertising all day dining, and marketing as a product for multi-generational cruising, I don't think it is a tall order to expect more afternoon dining options. 

I am guessing that when the ship is more fully booked, or there are more children on board during school holiday sailing that there will be more options. 

I can only speak for us. The dining opening hours totally matching our needs.  We do not miss anything on sea days. Of course, if we have an excursion on port day’s, it’s nice to have something to eat when coming back, which is offered!

The only thing which could be improved in our opinion would be to add a daily dinner special in Fil Rouge. We like the atmosphere and the ambiance the most out of all restaurants and the Menu could be boring on longer cruises. On Regent there is a big variety in Compass Rose each day. 

19 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

The solution would be simple, for mere mortals, but apparently no decision making is easy for EJ.  They merely need to extend the opening hours of the Emporium.  They have already made an adjustment by keeping the burger area open(on port days) until 3:30.  

Management must always deal with crew working hours. And how to allocate resources for longer opening times.  

Hank

An alternative would be to keep the Burger station element only open throughout the afternoon and enhance the offerings in Crema. This would be similar, say, to Crystal ( their Trident Grill and Bistro ) , who do not suffer these criticisms. Just a thought.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, aururab said:

Wouldn't the opposite be needed, to have it open longer during sea days?

Apparently, they don’t agree.  Folks had complained that when they returned from tours everything was closed.  On sea days, that is not an issue.  

I will mention that there are quite a few decent lunch items on the room service menu.  There are also a few light snack items at Crema.  

I cannot help but compare EJ to Seabourn (we just got off a 32 day SB cruise, last month).  Seabourn also closes the Colonnade (lido) at 2.  The difference is that they have a pool grill that is open until 4.  We previously posted that not having a pool grill was a mistake and stand by our assessment.

Hank

• Like 3

If anyone has a photo of the Crema snack items/cabinet, we would be pleased to see it.  I don't think it has been posted previously.  I realize it changes throughout the day, so maybe more than one photo would capture the variety.

4 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I cannot help but compare EJ to Seabourn (we just got off a 32 day SB cruise, last month).  Seabourn also closes the Colonnade (lido) at 2.  The difference is that they have a pool grill that is open until 4.  We previously posted that not having a pool grill was a mistake and stand by our assessment.

I can see what happened.  The people who killed the idea of a pool grill thought the Marketplace was actually going to be open all day.  And the people for shortened the hours for the Marketplace thought there was going to be a pool grill.

Left hand vs right hand??

😃

• Haha 1

Just now, crickette said:

If anyone has a photo of the Crema snack items/cabinet, we would be pleased to see it.  I don't think it has been posted previously.  I realize it changes throughout the day, so maybe more than one photo would capture the variety.

It was mostly the same stuff, day in day out.  Small sandwiches with little filling and mostly bread.  Never saw more than three choices and mostly two.  And some sweets.

To call it a "dining venue" (as the brochure does) is a gross overstatement.

14 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Apparently, they don’t agree.  Folks had complained that when they returned from tours everything was closed.  On sea days, that is not an issue.  

I will mention that there are quite a few decent lunch items on the room service menu.  There are also a few light snack items at Crema.  

Hank

This. And for the sake of us all: An Italian tourism business with no main Pizza place is beyond of me. Yes; there are premium and even luxury Pizza outlets out there. Let them to create one elsewhere, or to get it merged with the pool grill!... Even on mainstream MSC they have Pizza on their buffet from mid day to mid night, if not more!...

Edited by Nunagoras

7 minutes ago, crickette said:

Your wish is my command.  This is at 1:30 pm.

IMG_1533.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Might be difficult to blow up the details of the Crema photo.  On the left are two kinds a madeleines.  They also have a delicious custard pastry similar the Belam Pastries famous in Portugal.  On the right are several kinds of small sandwiches and I think (not sure) they can put them in a panini press.

Hank

• Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Might be difficult to blow up the details of the Crema photo.  On the left are two kinds a madeleines.  They also have a delicious custard pastry similar the Belam Pastries famous in Portugal.  On the right are several kinds of small sandwiches and I think (not sure) they can put them in a panini press.

Hank

Yes, very similar to Seabourne Square, but far off Crystal Bistro.  For us, the big misses are fresh fruit, sliced meats/salmon and cheese, which are key elements of our 4-5pm snack, before dining after 8.  Thanks very much.  Appreciate it.  (Photo from Old Crystal, it is no longer self serve, but I understand the variety remains much the same.) Bistro Buffet on Crystal Cruises

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crickette said:

Afternoon selection - and yes they can heat the paninis up in a sandwich press if you want 

IMG_3379.thumb.jpeg.3f8157c3a8986239d30289c56096e646.jpeg

and if you have a sweet tooth 

IMG_0821.thumb.jpeg.2a88d744e788e9c9416aa63ec7ba5906.jpeg

Interestingly several in our group had breakfast at Crema where they have a selection of yoghurt, fruit and pastries available in the morning 

IMG_3568.thumb.jpeg.a142d2db83fedda819f2c8d33b77cdc5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Afternoon selection - and yes they can heat the paninis up in a sandwich press if you want 

IMG_3379.thumb.jpeg.3f8157c3a8986239d30289c56096e646.jpeg

and if you have a sweet tooth 

IMG_0821.thumb.jpeg.2a88d744e788e9c9416aa63ec7ba5906.jpeg

Interestingly several in our group had breakfast at Crema where they have a selection of yoghurt, fruit and pastries available in the morning 

IMG_3568.thumb.jpeg.a142d2db83fedda819f2c8d33b77cdc5.jpeg

That's showing a larger venue than the chill cabinet on Seabourn (smile).  Not fond of sweets, tho.  Thanks to you too.

17 minutes ago, crickette said:

That's showing a larger venue than the chill cabinet on Seabourn (smile).  Not fond of sweets, tho.  Thanks to you too.

Actually the cabinet and selection on Seabourn Encore in Seabourn Square would be larger - and they also have the gelato bar to tempt you.

Only problem on Seabourn back in 2018 was we lost interest in dining there when the attendant told my wife when she asked about dietary issues that “dairy free and gluten free were the same weren’t they?” as she happily swapped the labels on the offerings around