Dinner clothes on Insignia

emckeeve

Men are supposed to wear slacks and a collared shirt to fit into the "country club casual" description.  Some men do wear sport jackets and ties.  The only complaints you will hear is when some men seem to be incapable of reading and wear jeans to the MDR or one of the specialty dining rooms, though to my mind, there are not enough complaints when that happens.  Sometimes the AC can be a bit chilly, and a sport jacket would be nice, though I admit that I do not pack one.

39 minutes ago, bbwex said:

Men are supposed to wear slacks and a collared shirt to fit into the "country club casual" description.  Some men do wear sport jackets and ties.  The only complaints you will hear is when some men seem to be incapable of reading and wear jeans to the MDR or one of the specialty dining rooms, though to my mind, there are not enough complaints when that happens.  Sometimes the AC can be a bit chilly, and a sport jacket would be nice, though I admit that I do not pack one.

Please keep in mind that nicer jeans are now allowed in all dining rooms after 6;00.  So no funny looks at the men if they are wearing non casual jeans to dinner as clearly allowed per Oceania. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You see what happens when Covid hits and you don't go on a cruise ship for several years.

I stand corrected, and shall not cast aspersions on men  wearing "nicer" jeans.  Now I wonder who gets to determine what is "nicer?"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, bbwex said:

You see what happens when Covid hits and you don't go on a cruise ship for several years.

I stand corrected, and shall not cast aspersions on men  wearing "nicer" jeans.  Now I wonder who gets to determine what is "nicer?"

Assuming the wearer of jeans since Oceania is a bit vague. 🤷🏻‍♂️

10 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

Assuming the wearer of jeans since Oceania is a bit vague. 🤷🏻‍♂️

And I would much prefer the jeans instead of the two women who arrived in the GDR on Vista in leggings, matching graphic t-shirt and baseball caps on our cruise in May.

Edited by EJL2023
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, EJL2023 said:

And I would much prefer the jeans instead of the two women who arrived in the GDR on Vista in leggings, matching graphic t-shirt and baseball caps on our cruise in May.

Very classy LOL

3 hours ago, EJL2023 said:

Sadly they weren't  turned away. They should have been

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EJL2023 said:

That would do my head in. TBH I struggle to understand why anyone wears a baseball cap inside anyway. Happy to be educated as to the logic 🙂

Edited by DJP31
typo
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, kibutzer said:

Agree, who knows what may have happened when they entered.  We just kind of rolled our eyes and failed to notice them after their entry.  Why let someone’s poor taste ruin my experience! 

33 minutes ago, DJP31 said:

That would do my head in. TBH I struggle to understand why anyone wears a baseball cap inside anyway. Happy to be educated as to the logic 🙂

Lots of things I struggle to understand with people these days. 😃

• Like 3

On my last cruise my sorority sister that I travel with lost her hair due to chemo the 2nd day of the cruise. She had not been proactive and brought any head gear. She got the rest buzzed off at the spa then I went to the shops and got her the only hat they had, no scarves. It was a navy blue ball cap by Izod. So was just solid color. It was obvious why she was wearing the hat so until I could get her a scarf at the next port no one said or thought anything about it. Julia

• Like 1

I have been amused by how my question about dressing for dinner and sport coats morphed into a discussion of wearing baseball caps (loss of hair due to chemo not included).  Any more REAL comments on what "normal people" wear in the dining rooms!!   😂

Edited by emckeeve

I haven't seen anyone wearing baseball caps in the restaurants on any of my cruises but if I did, I would probably cringe. (with the exception of the need for it following chemo treatment).  Oceania's dress code is country club casual.  It is well-documented that Arnold Palmer had a policy on the wearing of caps indoors in his clubs and restaurants. It is strictly prohibited. I was recently in the pro shop of a golf club where a gentleman wearing a cap walked in and was immediately requested to remove it.  

Now if only Oceania would enforce the no casual jeans rule.  I've seen it too many times unfortunately.

1 hour ago, sunlover12 said:

Now if only Oceania would enforce the no casual jeans rule.  I've seen it too many times unfortunately.

I do not think it will happen

The hostess or Maitre 'D   do not want  the pax to create  a scene

Pre covid   we saw a man in denim overalls  in the GDR for dinner if that was not  enough  he blew his nose in the table napkin   🤢

Two items to share about our recent 30-day Vista cruise:

a.  At the Captain’s Party, a fellow came in to the Horizons wearing shorts, a tee shirt, and a ball cap….went and stood at the bar.

b.  After staying awhile at the Captain’s Party, we went to the GDR for dinner.  The guy in the couple ahead of us was wearing a tight fitting body tee shirt, jeans, and flip flops.  The Maitre D came over to the couple to welcome them, and very chalantly leaned over to the man and whispered something in his ear.  The man waved his hands somewhat over his clothing, the Maitre D nodded, and then the guy nodded.  He was allowed to dine, but I supposed it was a “caution” …

• 2 weeks later...

Generally you'll see most pax with a nice shirt & pants combo. Jeans are generally not seen that often at night(Riviera) Many men do bring a sport coat & wear it mostly at the specialties. Pax generally dress up a little more for Jacques. You normally do not see suits, though on our Jan. This one guy was dressed in very fine suits. That is far from the norm though. If you think you can get away with dressing like on Princess/Celebrity etc. at night, you are likely to be turned away at night for dinner.(exception Terrace) Think "Country Club Casual" as the brochure says. Not Cunard but certainly no Carnival, either. Wer bring docker type pants, Tommy Bahama shirts & Ralph Lauren Polo & dress shirts as well. No ties, but 1-2 sport coats that we wear sparingly.

On 9/23/2023 at 5:19 PM, kibutzer said:

Always feel free to complain to the Maître D(we do) This is really seldom on O. Princess, slovenly seems to be winning the day.We have seen "No Jeans" outside Jacques rather often & have seen pax get told to properly change when going to the GDR.It's not often. At least it's not getting like Princess. I guess that's why we've met quite a few former Princess devotees.

I'm generally relaxed about what people wear on cruises. I'm happy with O's policy which basically echoes the policy of land based restaurants that I go to. I wear chinos and polos (occasionally a buttoned short-sleeved shirt). I wouldnt cruise on ships that have a more formal dress code - just as I don't go to restaurants which have a "jacket required" policy (mercifully, that has all but died out here)

• Like 2